EQ Never

althuna_sl

shitlord
If you've "seen how I operate" why do you need a "feeling" that he an I have any sort of interactions at all? Because you know nothing Althuna Snow. This is the first time he and I have butted heads on anything.

Enough derailment about it here, if you wish to discuss it more feel free to do so in the Ask Amod thread.
uh because its all there for the world to see on that other thread, maybe u delted it to hide your sins

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
There are a lot of shit I don't get about the new games coming out. I will only address a few..

In which part exactly did the industry decide that subscription based games is a business plan that has to change?

Did the masses suddenly become poor and can not afford a minimum fee each month anymore or did the devs become incapable of making a game that truly delivers and therefore worth people's money?

I don't feel comfortable with this f2p idea where every 10 year old kid, instead of doing whatever his age dictates doing, feels like logging in and messing around.

I mean don't get me wrong, even if there's some 10 year old kid playing, with a payed subscription by his father or w/e, this is a lot different. It has some sort of responsibility involved,in comparison to anybody logging in, anytime to fuck around.
This lowers the overall quality of the whole community imo.

One more thing that's bogging me is this obsession the devs of the newer games have.
An obsession about inventing something entirely new that will bring to the genre and cause the masses to go "wow" over it.
These attempts to pull mushrooms out their asses and impress everyone, only leads to more failures!
Why can't they just stick to things that have worked in the past, only implement them much better?!

Soe has clearly lost its touch to the genre in my eyes. Sounds so darn lousy to ask from the community to make the content. It's like the devs run out of ideas and were like "hey we don't have a clue how a successful game must be to appeal the people, so let's put them to make the game they like to play".

Quite disappointed.
Here is my take on your concerns:

- The industry found out that letting people get a foot into the game for free and then charging them once they are invested in the product yields more money. Dont ask me why but thats how it is, and it comes from customer behaviour.

- SOE lost its touch half a decade or so ago, if it ever had it, original EQ happened by chance and they ran with it, while the current approach in all games is to squash unintended results. If anything I am hopeful they are rediscovering a new way that works better for the community (open development, which is nice for PS2 so far, lets see how it fares for EQN next year).

- No studio has ever kept up with player consumption of content*, and people love minecraft - using that to help out the actual adventure game is a good idea if they screen well (see ogre box in NW for it going awry, or various cock castles in other games).

*Except real sandbox games I guess - but will EQN be one?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I think they need to take the emote Webcam thing and just totally run with it. Have it scan their body type too. Here's me as Firionia Vie:

rrr_img_39112.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
uh because its all there for the world to see on that other thread, maybe u delted it to hide your sins
I'm sure you meant *deleted and again, enough of derailing here about it. If you wish to discuss infractions given to members go to the appropriate thread. That's your last warning.

althuna_sl

shitlord
Tarrant;309557if you wish to discuss it more feel free to do so in the Ask Amod thread.[/QUOTE said:
lolllll yeah i really want to go in there..... just step in zee gas chamber... i mean ask a mod thread. No no we mean u no harm mein herr.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
And this is why you are sane and others are not.

There's a ton they could screw up of what they've shown and some sounds dubious but right now we're critiquing a painting based on the showing us a blank canvas, brushes and paint. It could be Picasso or it could be a 6 yr olds finger painting its to be seen.
I don't think anyone has claimed it's a guaranteed success. They've said some pretty good things, but they definitely showed us a lot less than they told us. There's still a lot of room for screws ups as it goes from a concept to actually being implemented.

The other side are the ones throwing a temper tantrum that it's World of Disney Sims Online, with absolutely no chance of even being half decent.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
I was watching the EQ Next: Class Panel @ SOE Live 2/2 posted by curse entertainment and during the Q/A around the 8:30 mark I think something slipped out. The question was about multiclassing and if you could have a rogue, warrior, cleric, and wizard ability mapped for your 4- and the gut response from the panel was "Secondary abilities?" and then backtracked into yes you can have an ability from different class types. Maybe the 4 class abilities and 4 weapon abilities isn't the whole story.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
At the time, sure I agree. Now? Not really. There's no real risk in places like Seb or HS or Chardok. We know every patrol, every static spawn, every safe point. The only reason we die is because the server lagged, at which point evac is useless anyway. Again, I'm not saying it's for everyone, and it certainly might not have been the case in classic (I played a shaman, who also never had gate loaded, during live classic).

All of my adventures have ended successfully on P99 as a wizard. Sure there have been some wipes, but none of them would have been prevented by an evac. I've not made a single person miserable with this viewpoint, to my knowledge. Never once has a situation demanded the need for an evac, and the group said "goddamnit, why didn't you have evac?". Never happened. Ever. Not even once. It didn't even almost happen.
Hilarious moments in EQ: group in lguk gets trained to the max, tank and chanter hold down the fort as well as possible but everyone is running out of mana quickly and we decide to evac. The wizard sits down and everyone groans. Sounds like late EQ went overboard with the AA spells though, if you no longer have to make choices on what to mem.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't think anyone has claimed it's a guaranteed success. They've said some pretty good things, but they definitely showed us a lot less than they told us. There's still a lot of room for screws ups as it goes from a concept to actually being implemented.

The other side are the ones throwing a temper tantrum that it's World of Disney Sims Online, with absolutely no chance of even being half decent.
I'm hedging positive myself in case you missed it earlier - but either extreme its accurate for although I find the haters a bit more annoying since so many want no evolution to the genre.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
At the time, sure I agree. Now? Not really. There's no real risk in places like Seb or HS or Chardok. We know every patrol, every static spawn, every safe point. The only reason we die is because the server lagged, at which point evac is useless anyway. Again, I'm not saying it's for everyone, and it certainly might not have been the case in classic (I played a shaman, who also never had gate loaded, during live classic).

All of my adventures have ended successfully on P99 as a wizard. Sure there have been some wipes, but none of them would have been prevented by an evac. I've not made a single person miserable with this viewpoint, to my knowledge. Never once has a situation demanded the need for an evac, and the group said "goddamnit, why didn't you have evac?". Never happened. Ever. Not even once. It didn't even almost happen.
I understand that logic, even though I disagree.
There's still plenty of room to get more money from people, besides the normal subscription.

I'd like to remind you the blizzard store pets,the TCG mounts etc, even the cosmetic bullshit they just recently added.

In my opinion devs decide to go f2p coz it makes them sufficient money for the mediocre games they chose to make. It's like they know their game is average and don't have the balls to take the risk of adding a monthly subscription to it.

I mean even if there was a monthly fee required, they could still sell all the non p2win items they intend to sell. Blizzard does it.

The reason they chose not to ask for a sub, is because the game will fade into obsolescence eventually.
I disagree with this pretty much. Blizzard currently isnt seeing my dollars. I would have checked out what they have to offer more often through the last 7 or so years since I quit if they were free to play, and I would have at times spend money on expansions and gimmicks and possibly resubbed again. As it is, I didnt. With a F2P base that also has a sub for bonus whatever you get the people invested enough in the game to pay their $15, you get the people like me throwing them money sometimes on and off, and you also get the people that dont realize they play so much that the sub would be better moneywise that spend hundreds of dollars to unlock purple slots and the abilits to hide their helm and so on (see TOR).

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Lately when pals talk about certain games they are anticipating my go to line is ; "I look forward to being disappointed by that game!"

Thing is...it'sactualdisappointment because no matter how many times the crazy twat that MMOs are burns my mongled cock I get excited with each new one and just have to stick it in.

EQ Next despite being low on the details looks cool enough, especially the movement features, that I am getting that MMO bug again...15 years playing MMOs and I've just considered that the 'mmo bug' is indeed real, and it's an STD

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The thread is moving way too fast to make this current.. but was someone up there somehow shocked that they ran into a tranny in Vegas at a bar?!? Really? seriously? SHM

What's worse is that I know at least one tranny who works for SOE....

I'm not in Vegas, I'm in Pensacola.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The big thing for me is the blanks they couldn't fill in. If they are making the game like EvE? Then everything they've said so far, even with the lack of trinity ect, is fine. Because PvE will be more about control and efficiency and resource collection than actually difficulty based progression. However, some things they said make this hard to reconcile, like BoE items. Really, the fact is, there wasn't enough information to draw a conclusion.
And they've been at "this version" of the game for over 2 years. Really makes you wonder what the fuck they've been up to.... I'm sure its "making emergent, revolutionary AI DUH!"..... Derp.