EQ Never

Lenas

Trump's Staff
http://pcgamer.com/2013/08/03/everquest-next-interview

...Rallying Calls, which are grand scale, multistage storylines that permanently change a server's world.
What happens if players don't do any of this?

Butler: It's simple, it doesn't advance. So just like a chapter of a book, right? You've got your personal storyline, you're playing through the game. Your personal contribution and the story that goes with it goes on at whatever pace you choose to pursue.The server has a storyline as well, expressed with these Rallying Calls. If players choose not to pursue them, the clock just doesn't advance.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Maybe the Kerrans will have 'subspecies' a la Barbarian and Erudite and you'll be able to be Lion, Tiger, Cheetah, Housecat, etc and the retard size just came from the largest of the subspecies.

All the Kerrans I knew were cheetah looking dudes who were glad I was there to rid them of their will-o-wisp problem.

okay, but let me clarify the point im making - there is no evidence that rallying calls cannot be failed and still result in permanent change. If the playerbase on majority assists the Orcs during the Qeynos invasion, Qeynos will be destroyed. Is that not permanent?

Is that not possible? We don't know.

There will be major plots that we must navigate through to progress, I get it. What about non-major plots?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
okay, but let me clarify the point im making - there is no evidence that rallying calls cannot be failed and still result in permanent change. If the playerbase on majority assists the Orcs during the Qeynos invasion, Qeynos will be destroyed. Is that not permanent?
If you actually read the entire citation you would realize that rallying calls don't fail, they just get put on pause indefinitely.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Is that not possible? We don't know.
Sounds awesome but execution is going to be retarded, a certain lord(Tabula Rasa) made similar claims and while outposts were indeed taken over it was tedious at best to keep them.

If you actually read the entire citation you would realize that rallying calls don't fail, they just get put on pause indefinitely.
I did, edited my post:

There will be major plots that we must navigate through to progress, I get it. What about non-major plots?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Dynamic events and rallying calls are not synonymous. "Non-major" events are not going to be handled by RC's.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Goblin_Lord_27 can decide to raid villages up and down a coastline and that storyline can play out with the villages being destroyed, etc. Things like this can be happening all across the world at all times without anyone outside of the area knowing about it.

RC's are going to be large, scripted, storyline-relevant public quests with hidden goals so the players can't just farm X to make Y happen.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Now if you allow player made building and shops etc to effect defenses that could really be something awesome. What I mean is popular hubs(think East Freeport bank) uses taxes to pay for and auto upgrade defenses, more people that use the shops the stronger the guards are etc. Vice versa with dungeons, stop killing gnolls in black burrow their attacking force gets stronger and stronger, caps for everything I suppose but a large scale MOBA or tower defense/siege type action could be entertaining.

This would keep player made shops intact and obviously the ones that are never over run would be semi safe spots/hubs.

Banal_sl

shitlord
Seems to be pretty on rails. What exactly about this game is a sandbox? What's emergent about scripted server events that have one possible outcome? Can anyone clarify this?

I'm just going to quote myself from like 600 pages ago.

What the fuck is "enough money?" No such thing.

They're talking up "sandbox" and similar buzzwords because they want to create brand differentiation in a market saturated with WoW and its clones. You can bet, however, that SOE will do everything in their power to make this game accessible to the masses that will actually recoup their investment. Whether or not it produces some gameplay innovation will determine the fate of the game and the EQ franchise.
Damn it feels good to be right.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I feel like GW2 hyped their game exactly this way and the result was seeing the same chain of 3-4 centaur scripts repeat 100 times. I'm really hoping this game does it better.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Seems to be pretty on rails. What exactly about this game is a sandbox? What's emergent about scripted server events that have one possible outcome? Can anyone clarify this?
So because there are going to be one-time scripted events going on at some point in the world that means none of the other elements in the game at any given time can be dynamic.

Good post. You've neatly wrapped up your misunderstanding of anything about this game that's been announced so far.

Caliane

Recipe for a sure-fire "key" access to zones:

- If one of the characters on your account is enabled for the zone,everycharacter on the account is enabled
- You can be enabled by obtaining the key (loot / quest / flag)orby defeating a majority of the encounters of the zone (zone has 5 bosses? beat any 3, get keyed)
- You can zone in ifenoughpeople in your raid are enabled (works best if raid has no max size: raid is for 18? Once you have 18 people keyed in, you can bring as many extras you want. For fixed-size raids - bleech - make it 80% of the raid)
- You can zone in if yourguildhas enough enabled members (multiple chars on the same account don't count, obviously) to fill a raid, even if none of them are online.
sounds good at first. when I saw this topic, I too thought means of guesting into keyed/flagged areas is needed.

but the more I think about, with all those allowances.. what is the point of keying at all?
I would be concerned that "old" keys would become required, and a giant PITA to get. think how GW2 fractals were at first when that was introduced. if you didn't ride the wave of the first runners, you were left behind, on old fractal levels, no one wanted to go back and help you with.
And conversely, its so open at that bleeding edge, that might as well just have the first guy unlock it for the entire server..
lore?

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
So because there are going to be one-time scripted events going on at some point in the world that means none of the other elements in the game at any given time can be dynamic.

Good post. You've neatly wrapped up your misunderstanding of anything about this game that's been announced so far.
You may be right. However at this point of their "reveal" them using the term sandbox is a complete falsehood. More info needs to be released to clarify how exactly players can "change the world". Until then cynicism is needed to keep expectations low so one does not become overly disappointed. I fully can imagine that has the main story dynamic events but still have a vast sandbox in it, however so far we have only been told that it exists but they aren't ready to go into detail yet. Pretty weak reveal overall. The potential is there, but until details are released you need both sides of each debate, positive views and negative views to keep things balanced.

FYI. Typing on phones really sucks.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it was James that mentioned "Lore Mode" a few years back. I always liked the idea. Basically it is raids designed with super casuals/RPers in mind. They get to see the stories they enjoy come to a end without having to be part of a dedicated raid guild. The idea was that the raids would be "fun" for casuals and pretty much wipe proof. The reward would be the lore though. No epic loot, no achievements, no titles, nothing. It is only to see the raid encounters and see a end to the expansions lore. If you want the rewards you have to do the real thing.

Most raiders don't care about lore. They want the challenge, the socializing, and the power. I didn't face Arthas in WoW with some nerd boner because "omgz I was fighting the lich king". The asshole had my weapon. End of story.
WoW already has it, in the form of LFR. You can do a easy mode version of every raid and get sub-par loot.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The rest of the world is sandboxy: no static spawns, no quest hubs, 'dynamic' AI, destructible terrain, multi-layered zones, procedurally generated dungeons, probably some sort of player housing/building, probably mostly player/tradeskill-driven economy, etc. The Rallying Calls are for story-driven events.