EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oddly enough I was thinking that SOE could have gotten away with (almost) murder, if they'd just kept the lore closer to the original. Destructible world, MOBA classes, etc. If they'd just kept the lore - shadowknights worshiping Innoruuk, etc.
I don't really mind them needing to change the lore to make it more coherent and more fitting with their new vision. But I just don't really get why they couldn't keep some more aspects of the old lore in the new revision. For example, getting rid of Tunare for 'Amaril'? And why this new 'Talin' instead of Bristlebane? And I know Anashti has some tie to EQ2 or something, but Cazic-Thule or even Innoruk could have filled that spot. I just don't see why completely new gods are necessary when older gods fill the same exact role.

I do hope they add some of the gods as 'demi gods' or something, though.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I don't really mind them needing to change the lore to make it more coherent and more fitting with their new vision. But I just don't really get why they couldn't keep some more aspects of the old lore in the new revision. For example, getting rid of Tunare for 'Amaril'? And why this new 'Talin' instead of Bristlebane? I don't see why completely new gods are necessary when older gods fill the same exact role.

I do hope they add some of the gods like Innoruk as 'demi gods' or something, though.
I should have been more clear - they could have made some changes to the lore to justify building from Qeynos, but exactly this: there was no need for wholesale changes to the god lore, Dark Elves, and etc.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I don't really mind them needing to change the lore to make it more coherent and more fitting with their new vision. But I just don't really get why they couldn't keep some more aspects of the old lore in the new revision. For example, getting rid of Tunare for 'Amaril'? And why this new 'Talin' instead of Bristlebane? And I know Anashti has some tie to EQ2 or something, but Cazic-Thule or even Innoruk could have filled that spot. I just don't see why completely new gods are necessary when older gods fill the same exact role.

I do hope they add some of the gods like Innoruk as 'demi gods' or something, though.
Tunare was combined with Erollisi. Talyn is female, probably because they want to balance male and female deities. Anashti was the original prime healer prior to Rodcet Nife, but she went a little crazy and created the undead trying to "heal" people.

The whole purpose seems to be to condense things, because when you take all the gods of EQ and EQII and add them up, there are like 30+ deities and demigods, and their comparative power is all over the place.

rolx_sl

shitlord

They changed it so they could bitch out on making starting cities for every race.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
They drastically need to show more screenshots or concept art of original Norrath locales/POIs. The reaction to the tunnel shot should be enough to tell them that people want to see things they recognize and loved from the original game, and those will keep them coming back for more.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I should have been more clear - they could have made some changes to the lore to justify building from Qeynos, but exactly this: there was no need for wholesale changes to the god lore, Dark Elves, and etc.
I'm sort of partial to the idea of Dark Elves being a more direct twisted version of High Elves, possibly those who got left behind to fend for themselves against the Dragons while the Combine escaped to Kunark. I think it could be a very interesting origin story, and gives them a very valid reason to hate the other races other than just being created to hate everything.

Tunare was combined with Erollisi. Talyn is female, probably because they want to balance male and female deities. Anashti was the original prime healer prior to Rodcet Nife, but she went a little crazy and created the undead trying to "heal" people.

The whole purpose seems to be to condense things, because when you take all the gods of EQ and EQII and add them up, there are like 30+ deities and demigods, and their comparative power is all over the place.
I do actually appreciate the condensing, because I think it got a bit crazy. I think the duality aspect of gods is a good change too - instead of just one dimensional beings. I just think they could have repurposed some of the older gods instead of creating new ones or using lesser known ones (Anashti? When the hell was she introduced?).

rolx_sl

shitlord
They drastically need to show more screenshots or concept art of original Norrath locales/POIs. The reaction to the tunnel shot should be enough to tell them that people want to see things they recognize and loved from the original game, and those will keep them coming back for more.
+1

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unfortunately, we're probably going to see more about Landmark than Next until Landmark is released.

rrr_img_40339.png

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
They better talk about more and stop beating around the bush. We all get landmark, is there that much more to say about it?
EverQuest Next is a long way off. Landmark is right around the corner.

The truth is that even if EQ Next sucks by our standards (Gun wielding red panda ninjas), if they get a shit ton of people playing Landmark - they'll easily get a shit ton to play Next as well.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
EverQuest Next is a long way off. Landmark is right around the corner.

The truth is that even if EQ Next sucks by our standards (Gun wielding red panda ninjas), if they get a shit ton of people playing Landmark - they'll easily get a shit ton to play Next as well.
I do agree, but fuuu they could get people excited about the actual game and that would automatically make people excited about landmark.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I agree with rolx. The point was to jutify starting from one city. The thing is, they could have started from one city and still had DE's worshipping Innoruuk, Trolls & ogres being fat and nasty and etc.

There is a lack of imagination on the part of both the lore devs and Marketing.

@Kudos exactly.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

aside for the name, there is absolutely nothing EQ about EQN...it looks like WoW, has classes like GW2, events like rift, and will suck like SWTOR. congrats, SOE on another flaming pile of shit.

Randin

Trakanon Raider

On top of that, I think part of what they're doing with the gods is trying to dump the DnD model, where you have your good gods, evil gods, and neutral gods fighting it out, with everyone picking their one favorite god to worship, and moving to a Greco-Roman/Norse model where the gods all have their spheres of influence, where good and evil don't really enter into it, and where people generally worship all the gods at once.