EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
You should apply to be the Used car's salesman's assistant, you are already doing it , just not getting paid yet.
Eh I quit EQ initially because the starting experience sucked ballz and it was years before a friend got me to try it again. So I'm okay with them trying to make a better starting experience.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
*shrugs*the day/night cycle video from SOE Live looked dark enough that a light source would be useful, if not actually required, and they've already talked about having pitch black caverns, and the like. Calling darkness a 'denial of service' was an incredibly stupid move on their part (they had to know that would be thrown back in their face), but what they're actually doing in that regard seems decent enough.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
@Teekey requiring someone to find a lightstone isn't hard..
For who? The Rerolled crowd or the average MMO player?

Look, it wasn't 'difficult' to get a lightstone, but as a brand new player with no MMO knowledge, you really had no clue or indication. I remember cranking up the Gamma on my monitor just so I could see what the fuck was going on.

I think it's much better game design to make dark and dangerous dungeons that absolutely require torches, than make brand new players completely blind.

Calling darkness a 'denial of service' was an incredibly stupid move on their part (they had to know that would be thrown back in their face)
I haven't seen many people crying about it except the knuckleheads who are hellbent on hating the game regardless.

You should apply to be the Used car's salesman's assistant, you are already doing it , just not getting paid yet.
Confirmed: Fucking Moron.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you play WoW Teekey? The people were just as much as noobs at max level as they were when they started. We seriously just need niche as that's the only real solution.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did you play WoW Teekey? The people were just as much as noobs at max level as they were when they started. We seriously just need niche as that's the only real solution.
You honestly think it's a good idea to force people to pump up their Gamma just to play the game, until they figure out they need a Lightstone?

Again, the game should be easy to get into, and hard to master. Let noobs be noobs. Butdon'tdesign the majority of the game around them (which is where WoW failed). My 7 year old son can play League of Legends against easy AI bots and have fun - and I can play League of Legends at Platinum and have a completely different and incredibly more difficult experience.

I don't know why you guys think it has to be all or nothing.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Heh. Just saw that Georgeson said 100's and 100's of Orcs in the 8/2 curse interview and is now saying 1000's of Orcs. That's an order of magnitude error.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You honestly think it's a good idea to force people to pump up their Gamma just to play the game, until they figure out they need a Lightstone?

Again, the game should be easy to get into, and hard to master. Let noobs be noobs. Butdon'tdesign the majority of the game around them (which is where WoW failed). My 7 year old son can play League of Legends against easy AI bots and have fun - and I can play League of Legends at Platinum and have a completely different and incredibly more difficult experience.

I don't know why you guys think it has to be all or nothing.
I think there needs to be niche games. Not sure how else to say it. Your 7 year old might not be frustrated at first but will eventually with what you're saying. That's my point there is just more attachment at that point.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think there needs to be niche games. Not sure how else to say it. Your 7 year old might not be frustrated at first but will eventually with what you're saying. That's my point there is just more attachment at that point.
If you had $20 million I'm sure they'd be more than happy to make your niche game which may or may not pay itself off in the next 10-15 years (assuming a stable population of 10k/mth for ?? months).

Edit: out of curiosity I did the math. At $15/mth and 10k subs it would take 133.3 months, or 11 years and some change, to break even on your $20 mil investment, and that's assuming no overhead for server maintenance, GM staff, etc.

You could argue that it could be made for less than $20 mil and there would be more subs than 10k/mth. Obviously I just pulled those numbers out of my ass, but I it really depends on how niche you want your dream game to be.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you had $20 million I'm sure they'd be more than happy to make your niche game which may or may not pay itself off in the next 10-15 years (assuming a stable population of 10k/mth for ?? months).
You realize there are some big name devs in the industry saying what I'm saying right??

Lol 10k subs.. Where did that number come from?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You realize there are some big name devs in the industry saying what I'm saying right??

Lol 10k subs.. Where did that number come from?
I guess once they become multimillionaires they too can have their dream, niche game.

I wonder how many subs EQ has these days. Do they release numbers?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder how many subs EQ has these days. Do they release numbers?
Well the game is almost 15 years old but last I checked there were at least 15 servers?

Edit since Dandai does...

Its not about how much money they have made. Dumping 100 mill into a mmo is risky and it's safer to go small budget niche and expand if the game takes off.. At least that's what guys like
Mcquaid are talking.

Btw I forget the EQ devs name but they are working on a doc for a hardcore mmo and feel it will draw atleast 100k subs. So times your number by 10..

rolx_sl

shitlord
You are missing the point of your own quote from before.
While this quote is about the difference in skill, equipment and local network setups of which it does matter. I am not saying those things dont count in these events. But it still doesn't task the question about latency and FPS Tourney creation you stated was the reason why Tournaments were LAN.

Again, Tourneys will HAVE to be LAN! I will guess you dont know much about networking basics? I doubt any network engineer would push each computer's IP out to WAN just to relay it back to its own network for giggles at an event that doesn't need the outside world at all! The worst that generally happens in the old days were some Organizers not watching boneheads from adding their POS network hub to a switched network and jacking up things.

As for today, I doubt they will still even consider wifi due to its poor performance and lack of security for lower staged events. Willing to bet Fiber has been the standard for some time now at these types of events and even then the computers are dealing with bottlenecks but not from the managed switches or cabling.

I will admit I am not up to date on current tournaments network infrastructure but your quote and my knowledge still fits and applies give the reason for FPS event creation and lack of many of todays networking tools and toys.

Tourneys were create much like rubic cube challenges in the 80's and etc for FPS and other events, ppl like and want to compete with others of equal or better skill for prizes, rewards and recognition. But my point is correcting you about your statement. Latency was not the reason, wanting to be together to play against each other in one room was.

Even today's events are local events not because of latency but security, to limit hacks and cheats. Low latency is just a side benefit from being a local event. They could have slower networks at these events if the load balancing is equal to everyone competing, they just go over the top to boaster the event's technical prowess and product placement revenue. It looks great if players are on the best tech in these event, Ramhead geeks drool at over-the-top toys on display.

There are several games that are FPS style MMOs and many FPS games that are doing better now that even better from modern tech and networks. I dont think you will really see much difference between FPS style and lock-target based games. If you're arguing that a ".1" latency issue is going to be a needed thing in FPS MMO, your dead from the mob in any instance besides having to jack into the game company Data-Center network to beat it down.

If anything some of the games that are FPS MMO tend to benefit the player in respect that the player can move to areas mobs aren't able to hit back and dodging becomes a better way of play instead of pre-rolled attack counters.

Really not trying to pick a fight, but not going to let a bold misinformation statement happen either. At least I dont have Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome.
cool.png
Are you retarded or what? Have you ever played on a computer hosting the server and had 0 ping and played someone who had even 20? Its completely different. I'm not talking about MMO FPS i'm talking about how you have to play at a LAN for an official tournament because everything has to be completely even between both teams. Thats all. I'm not even going to respond to any more of your posts i'm probably arguing with someone who has never even played in a official cal tournament telling me how it is.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've read [almost] every post and haven't seen this link posted. It's essentially a timeline of any articles or official EQN news material:

http://www.guildm8s.com/?c=r#70

I didn't look to see how far it goes back but it looks to be updated often and includes the recent gamescom interviews posted in the last few pages.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We have the number of folks on EQN. 60-70
24/7 about a game with no real info or progress just shows how desperate we all are for EQ. I hate being that guy. This thread grows and grows but the EQ devs have still revealed basically nothing but hot air and empty promises.

Been too busy to keep up with the never ending page turning in this thread. But I doubt I have missed anything. My impression is that EQN is still just a wish, and a long ways from reality. Landmark is the only real thing that SoE has been working on.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
24/7 about a game with no real info or progress just shows how desperate we all are for EQ. I hate being that guy. This thread grows and grows but the EQ devs have still revealed basically nothing but hot air and empty promises.

Been too busy to keep up with the never ending page turning in this thread. But I doubt I have missed anything. My impression is that EQN is still just a wish, and a long ways from reality. Landmark is the only real thing that SoE has been working on.
Ive started to loosely follow this thread for now as it really is a circle of posts. We need EQNL so bad to occupy us until EQN.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I have been told that I should have all final approvals for the Storybricks infoz early next week. Sorry for the delay all.

Also, Tad does have affiliation with Junkiesnation; He was our SoE Live correspondent and is an awesome guy that continues to contribute. Give him +nets, hookers, blow, money, and betaz.