EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I hope they'll have something interesting to show us at PAX. I just pray it isn't a rehashed version of their only presentation.
I don't expect much. I'm just annoyed that SOE looks ike they're going to blow it again. Nothing said about the combat or classes since release has convinced me it was a good decision to entirely ditch EQ/VG style combat or classes.

The only real justification for the change was the "reduce the 50 buttons to 8" but EQ managed to do that back in 1999.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The only real justification for the change was the "reduce the 50 buttons to 8" but EQ managed to do that back in 1999.
When people say this about EQ1 I immediately know that they played casters, not melee. Having 3 buttons is at least as bad as having 50.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
I don't expect much. I'm just annoyed that SOE looks ike they're going to blow it again. Nothing said about the combat or classes since release has convinced me it was a good decision to entirely ditch EQ/VG style combat or classes.

I think even the biggest apologists are going to have a hard time keeping the faith if SOE doesn't give us something tangible at this event. They need this bad.

misery_sl

shitlord
I've never liked the executive team at SOE and I've always stated my preference for old-school classes not the MOBA classes. The only thing I've changed was I've gone from not knowing who Omeed was to disliking him now that I've seen him in action.

Edit: The only new info is from gamescom that Landmark was not planned, just happened.
I completely agree with you on the executive comment. I think out of all the panels they did I only liked maybe one or two of the speakers. One of them was a younger guy, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in a top position. Though I do like Terry Michaels, and I think Georgeson, though outdated and out of touch with anything fashionable, is at least genuine about the game. I feel like Jeff and Smed might be the biggest detriments to the future of the game, and I feel that Georgeson might be a little too old fashioned. With that in mind, I'm still excited to see how this all plays out. Their prospects are so different from anything we've seen, so at the least it will be an interesting release for both Landmark and Next. Trying to keep my hopes high at least, for now.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
This poll is so disingenuous... They specifically used the word contested instead of instanced because they KNOW the response the community is going to give them on instancing is going to be almost 100% negative.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I feel like Jeff and Smed might be the biggest detriments to the future of the game.
Yeah, you can't help but think Smed's love of MOBAs is a driving factor behind the design. Which begs the question: where is the EVE influence?

@Quaid good call.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Yeah, you can't help but think Smed's love of MOBAs is a driving factor behind the design. Which begs the question: where is the EVE influence?

@Quaid good call.
I started playing EVE to see what all the fuss was about and to get an idea of why there is all of this discussion about how it could influence EQNext. Given what we've heard about the game so far though, aside from classes being like "Ships" where a "Pilot" can jump in to each class I really can't say I see any influence.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
i'm confused... how can there be instances if (according to the reveal night) "mobs are dropped into the world and then find where they want to be"
An instance would be the exact opposite of that... it would put mobs in locations and create a repeatable dungeon crawls to a repeatable boss... this is the exact opposite of what was said during the reveal.
He is basically covering his ass from both ends here...
yes there will be no repeatable content!! well, except for instances of course! wtf!

glumner_sl

shitlord
I basically only read this thread anymore because I've read 500 pages and I feel invested. Reddit is a teeming mass of criminally-retarded SOE bonerstrokers and the devs are merely exploiting the EQ name as a platform to make a game that has no rational relation to its namesake nor any appeal to its fans. And that latter point is the most annoying part: they are free to make whatever shallow game they want but they spent 2 years toying with EQ fans to drive up public interest in a product they knew damn well wasn't for them. I was pretty pissed after the reveal and spent a bunch of energy on Reddit and FB and Twitter trying to make a difference. Now I've come to terms with the fact that this game just isn't all that interesting to me and my interest is waning further with each passing day. I'm to the point of offering a less-than-emphatic "meh" to each dumb none-thing that SOE burps out. Time to go see what that Pathfinder game is about...

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're struttin' their shit like they can do no wrong and they don't have the credentials to be acting that way.
Well, Jeff Butler who everyone here apparently dislikes, was a producer for Kunark, Velious, Shadows of Luclin, and Planes of Power.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
Boxes are hella sandy in here tonight cause of this (no) contest talk. Where's that Teekey guy at (edit /\ oh there he is), someone needs to talk the doom and gloomers down off the ledge. I'm sure there will be plenty of contests. Just relax.

That DoS phrase is the slogan for EQN. Want to be able to kill other players? Want to require specific classes to complete content? Want to have a death penalty? Want raid mobs that take skill to defeat? Sorry, DoS...
I still don't get why much of this couldn't be resolved simply by having different servers with different rulesets.

Server 1: PvE. Artificials aren't very intelligent. Death isn't a big deal. No Contest. Timmy is happy.
Server 2: PvP. Emergency AI turned up to 11. Death is a significant set-back. Heated competition. For the hardest of the core.
Server 3, 4, etc: Somewhere inbetween

In any event, someone needs to name their guild "Denial of Service" and go around causing trouble and butthurt for everyone else. That'll be fun to watch.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Well, Jeff Butler who everyone here apparently dislikes, was a producer for Kunark, Velious, Shadows of Luclin, and Planes of Power.
Second System Effect. I liked VG, which Butler also had a hand in. I was rooting for EQN but this latest round of questions and Dev answers was disheartening given my already existing concerns with the class/combat system.

I met Talisker at SOELive and he was a very pleasant, smart guy but his answer was even worse than Butler's on this issue.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is from the top post at the official forums on the latest RT question:

That denial of service phrase is the slogan for EQN. Want to be able to kill other players? Sorry, denial of service for those that don't. Want to require specific classes to complete content? Sorry, denial of service for anyone that didn't choose that class. Want to have a death penalty? Sorry, denial of service for everyone that doesn't want to die. Want raid mobs that take skill to defeat? Sorry, denial of service for the unskilled players. And on, and on, and on...
"Denial of service" is just the SoE dev's excuse for being pussies. They are clueless idiots. A game without "Denial of service" of some sort is a boring and pathetic game, just like all the boring and pathetic games that have come out recently.

EQN is doomed because the devs castrated themselves years ago.

What the world needs is a game based on "Denial of service". Something so hardcore that when you log in you immediately are sent to hell and your character burns to nonrecoverable dust before your eyes.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
im just disgusted by how much they want us to be invested in the game(s) with the shittacular amount of information they are willing to give us.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Boxes are hella sandy in here tonight cause of this (no) contest talk. Where's that Teekey guy at (edit /\ oh there he is), someone needs to talk the doom and gloomers down off the ledge. I'm sure there will be plenty of contests. Just relax.
I can't even hardly stand reading this thread lately. It's so fucking pessimistic. What's hilarious is people trash other websites for slobbing all over SoE's cocks, when this forum is becoming just as bad for the exact opposite reason.Oh look at those fucking grease balls talking about their game!Very constructive discussion guys. Perhaps they're trying to maintain balance in the force, I have no idea.

I just wish people would stop exaggerating and using terms out of content simply to take a rimshot at the game. I think the 'Denial of Service' comment is going to haunt them - but I actually 100% agree with them in the specific instance it was used.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They are clueless idiots.
Nah. It's worse. They are smart people who played EQ and are making a game that fixes all the problems they saw in EQ. The issue is that like instancing and quest-grinding in WoW the fixes are worse than the original problems.

Some things just can't be fixed but then they aren't really problems in the first place. Some casuals are always going to bitch about access and hardcore people getting X first. So what. The casuals on this board (and I include myself) have done the hardcore stuff before and don't give a shit we just want to play a game and know there is a reasonable risk/reward and strong social element. Competitive mobs makes for a stronger social environment.