EQ Never

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ideally, you would have instances for getting experience and some gear, and non-instances for better gear.
I don't think having the gear be better is the way to go. I think having the instanced gear be bound to your character with a level requirement and having the non-instanced gear be tradeable/sellable and not having a level requirement so I can give it my next twink and be a total bad ass or sell it for profit is a better way to handle the loot difference.

I used to think that I loved the sprawling dungeon style. I used to have a blast in Seb and Chardok way back when. Nowadays though I think it had less to do with the fact that the shit was contested and the dungeons were massive and more to do with the fact that the world was kind of empty. Sure the opening camps in Chard or Seb were usually camped but if you went down lower into camps like Disco there was almost never anyone down there because they were simply too time consuming for a lot of people.

In order for a game like that to survive the world has to be big enough to support the playerbase while still having open, empty areas of the world for people to go to. That was part of the allure of EQ, you could do shit that a lot of other people might not have even known about. With sites like Curse and Wowhead and the huge player base in a game like WoW that just isn't possible, and it ruins most of the charm of a sandboxy world.

Also, I really hate bound loot and level requirements on ALL gear. What is it about twinking that game companies think ruins the game? Let me have some fun with my 7th character in the game I've been paying to play for X number of years...

Faiona_sl

shitlord
For EQ I never thought people had problems with twinking. The only game where people had a real shit fit over it was in WoW...and that was when people were pissing about how twinked out lower levels would kill them in battlegrounds. Because as people were playing their first character and leveling up they'd queue for a BG...get in and have someone with a twinked out lvl 19 rogue in full deadmines gear that was enchanted 1 shot them.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
For EQ I never thought people had problems with twinking. The only game where people had a real shit fit over it was in WoW...and that was when people were pissing about how twinked out lower levels would kill them in battlegrounds. Because as people were playing their first character and leveling up they'd queue for a BG...get in and have someone with a twinked out lvl 19 rogue in full deadmines gear that was enchanted 1 shot them.
WoW started off with level requirements on gear. From day 1 they had an anti-twinking stance. They just forgot about the enchants until it became a problem and put level requirements on those as well.

I realize there are different stances on it I just prefer a game where I can kick the shit out of stuff that used to be difficult while leveling for the 5th time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of PvP.. I'm wondering if there will be any. This may not be very popular but I'm hoping not.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
WoW started off with level requirements on gear. From day 1 they had an anti-twinking stance. They just forgot about the enchants until it became a problem and put level requirements on those as well.

I realize there are different stances on it I just prefer a game where I can kick the shit out of stuff that used to be difficult while leveling for the 5th time.
Yea, but I thought they made it so that whenever you win and stuff you gain XP. Forcing the low level twinks to level up. Idk I haven't really played or paid attention to WoW seriously since their second expansion.

As far as PvP goes in EQ...the only time I would ever do it when there was those GM events in the arena. I don't care if they wanted to add things like battlegrounds in the game...but they would have to do something so that PvE doesn't become affected by changes. I don't think I've ever played a game though where the PvP changes to abilities/gear didn't somehow affect PvE lol. Maybe just make it so there are completely different PvP abilities/gear instead of using PvE abilities/gear...dunno!

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Speaking of PvP.. I'm wondering if there will be any. This may not be very popular but I'm hoping not.
Being one who grew to love EverQuest on Vallon Zek, it's hard for me to imagine the game without it. I don't think SOE will be comfortable making a game in today's age without PvP, to be honest. That said, I know that EQ PvP was sub-optimal and beyond broke when compared to more contemporary titles, but god damn was it fun!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Being one who grew to love EverQuest on Vallon Zek, it's hard for me to imagine the game without it. I don't think SOE will be comfortable making a game in today's age without PvP, to be honest. That said, I know that EQ PvP was sub-optimal and beyond broke when compared to more contemporary titles, but god damn was it fun!
I'd almost rather them do PvP servers with the classes getting a totally different skill set. It would be like 2 different experiences for one game.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
My hope actually is they are making Everquest: Vanguard II. For all the issues Vanguard had that game had some really good shit in it so merging the two games would be fairly natural. Throw in some fast GW2 type combat with active dodge and Im in.
"EQN: Vanguard II" w/ some sandbox elements thrown in, sounds excellent.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just want large non-instanced dungeons for raids and group content. In fact, I'd just like to see most instancing go away, besides quest specific stuff and a few goodies here and there. The most excitement I had in MMO's was the competition aspect and racing for spawns with the rival guild. That was what made a MMO more than just another video game for me.

Make gear harder to discern what is better. Fuck wow.
And make it uncommon like early EQ was. People spent most of the game wearing crappy leather or cloth or banded if they were lucky, and even stuff they collected was crap too, like a full set of bronze which was barely even worth having, it had ok AC but it was heavy. But when you got something like a Silver-Plated Bracer (linked below) or Azure Sleeves, it was a really big deal. And when you ended up with something like a Ykesha or FBSS, you were a god amongst noobs.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=855

flux_sl

shitlord
Also, I think the idea of Dark Souls combat in an MMO would be awesome. Punishing combat and an unforgiving world? Awesome. Maybe that mixed with some kind of minecraft world altering type stuff would be neat IMO. Do I have an idea how the hell this would be implemented and pulled off? Hell naw. But I do think the idea is neat.
If the technology exists and the right amount of talent got together with enough capital goddamn this would be epic. This is the type of stuff that needs to be made, please talented company with lots of money come make this and renew the genre.

EDIT: On further thought, in a post WoW market will a unforgiving world still sell?

flux_sl

shitlord
I just want large non-instanced dungeons for raids and group content. In fact, I'd just like to see most instancing go away, besides quest specific stuff and a few goodies here and there. The most excitement I had in MMO's was the competition aspect and racing for spawns with the rival guild. That was what made a MMO more than just another video game for me.
The problem is in a post-wow market, MMORPGs have become in a sense like a fast food restaurant in that the developers want as many people to come into their game and make it as quick and efficient as possible for the customer so they feel a sense of achievement every time they login, or thats the goal at least. Instancing allows for thousands of people simultaneously to enjoy the same content, going back to a world where I have to wait 2 hours(or more) just to get into a dungeon to play the game isn't a model that will most likely be revisited. I say this, but I still think it's possible maybe in the future when we can fit hundreds of thousands in a server and the world is large enough (think scale to earth type situation) where everyone can have access to content when they want and it would still allow for that competitive drive thats lacking in modern day instanced MMORPGS. Realistically, the best bet would be some type of hybrid model, because instancing still has it's uses in terms of driving story lines etc.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'll try to find the quote but I'm pretty sure there will be PVP. I'm not a fan so I hope they leave that out. It's a cancer to MMOs that aren't designed for it. Screws up class uniqueness and abilities. Just my opinion.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Idk about all raids being contested. Not like there will be much competition. More like 1-2 guilds with all mobs on lockdown. If they make travel take time then maybe. Otherwise, I'd have to say no.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The problem is in a post-wow market, MMORPGs have become in a sense like a fast food restaurant in that the developers want as many people to come into their game and make it as quick and efficient as possible for the customer so they feel a sense of achievement every time they login, or thats the goal at least. Instancing allows for thousands of people simultaneously to enjoy the same content, going back to a world where I have to wait 2 hours(or more) just to get into a dungeon to play the game isn't a model that will most likely be revisited. I say this, but I still think it's possible maybe in the future when we can fit hundreds of thousands in a server and the world is large enough (think scale to earth type situation) where everyone can have access to content when they want and it would still allow for that competitive drive thats lacking in modern day instanced MMORPGS. Realistically, the best bet would be some type of hybrid model, because instancing still has it's uses in terms of driving story lines etc.
But that's the problem with all these new games. They are like Disneyland with rides and whatnot. We need to get back to having a big world and it dictating to us how it's played instead of catering to soccer moms and people with 30 mins to play. If all you have is 30 mins, you shouldn't be able to achieve some of the stuff people are able to achieve. At least not at the same speed.

Same with PVP. Over and over again we see PVP ruin the PVE game. All the whining for balance (which is impossible to achieve anyways) simply cause nerfs to the PVE game and make classes more homogenous and less unique. They need to get back to their roots and get awesome PVE down and let the rest go. Let WoW be WoW and cater to that crowd. We want Everquest and all the classes and uniqueness that comes with it.

flux_sl

shitlord
Same with PVP. Over and over again we see PVP ruin the PVE game. All the whining for balance (which is impossible to achieve anyways) simply cause nerfs to the PVE game and make classes more homogenous and less unique. They need to get back to their roots and get awesome PVE down and let the rest go. Let WoW be WoW and cater to that crowd. We want Everquest and all the classes and uniqueness that comes with it.
The problem is that now the PvP cat is out of the bag so most people expect that in any new mmorpg title that it will have PvP more then just an after thought and if it doesn't there would be a large audience which would be turned away as a result of not having it.