EQ Never

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any DIKU game released in the next 5 years is going to be a massive failure.
It's easy to make a claim like that when 99% of all game releases in the MMO space are worthless. Things are never that black and white, though.

Take for instance FFXIV:ARR. It is a straight up DIKU game, with a super slow 2.5s GCD timer, a re-release of a total shit game, released just last year during the Action Combat revolution, and is still growing. I think it kinda proves Mist's point.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF14 is a pretty strong name and a terrible comparison. There are very very few titles that could relaunch and do as well as FF14 no matter how great the content is.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
FF14 is a pretty strong name and a terrible comparison. There are very very few titles that could relaunch and do as well as FF14 no matter how great the content is.
Yet, MMOs based on other strong IPs, like Star Wars and The Elder Scrolls, fall flat on their collective faces? You can try and poke holes in the comparison all you'd like, but in the end FFXIV is a successful and growing subscription based DIKU MMO, making it the perfect comparison.

Heck, when was the last time any MMO could make that claim?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any DIKU game released in the next 5 years is going to be a massive failure.
Shitty ones, sure. But a good one? Sony has the resources to make a good WoW clone if that's what they wanted to do.

We haven't actually SEEN a good WoW clone since WoW.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yet, MMOs based on other strong IPs, like Star Wars and The Elder Scrolls, fall flat on their collective faces? You can try and poke holes in the comparison all you'd like, but in the end FFXIV is a successful and growing subscription based DIKU MMO, making it the perfect comparison.

Star Wars didnt fall flat on its face. It just fell flat on its face for "you". ESO would be more comparable to the original launch of Final Fantasy. In that it was a buggy, poorly thought out mess that looked, felt, nor played anything at all like the single player game.

When I play FF14 - I get the Final Fantasy Vibe. There are NPC's, Mounts, and the over all feel of the game is pretty reminiscent of the Single Player game. SWTOR is blatantly fucking Star Wars, without question. Outside of the map and names, what exactly reminds you of Elder Scrolls when you play ESO? Cause I personally didnt feel any connection.

EQ Next is a reboot to an existing MMO franchise before you witty people come after me!
rolleyes.png

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't like some of the design principles, but certainly I won't play another WoW clone. The original is good enough, thank you very much.
I'll play EQ Next, then after a month, I'll either love it or quit it. Standard stuff.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would argue the culture has simply moved on in regards to EQ and WoW type mmogs. There like pinball machines in that they will always be around but there heyday is over.

Kids today simply wont waste the thousand of hours EQ and WoW require. They want instant rewards for 30 -40 minute investments of time tops. They also have a odd habit of watching people play games instead of playing them themselves. Along with a basic refusal to actually talk to other players when they do play them.

The only way I see to bring the culture back to playing thousand plus hour mmogs is to place something in the game that is considered worth that amount of time needed to acquire it by the players. I really don't see any existing are proposed new mmog games as providing anything close to that needed reason, for people with out a large video game addiction complex.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

swtor continues to grow and be very successful if you want to use ffxiv as a contextual example.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Shitty ones, sure. But a good one? Sony has the resources to make a good WoW clone if that's what they wanted to do.

We haven't actually SEEN a good WoW clone since WoW.
False. Swtor, Rift, Wildstar are all decent to good clones their own right.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I would argue the culture has simply moved on in regards to EQ and WoW type mmogs. There like pinball machines in that they will always be around but there heyday is over.

Kids today simply wont waste the thousand of hours EQ and WoW require. They want instant rewards for 30 -40 minute investments of time tops. They also have a odd habit of watching people play games instead of playing them themselves. Along with a basic refusal to actually talk to other players when they do play them.

The only way I see to bring the culture back to playing thousand plus hour mmogs is to place something in the game that is considered worth that amount of time needed to acquire it by the players. I really don't see any existing are proposed new mmog games as providing anything close to that needed reason, for people with out a large video game addiction complex.
People put thousands of hours into MOBAs. The lol sub reddit is the biggest one. People want fun gameplay. Dikus don't have fun gameplay rationally, it's more about building your character and often the act of playing is not the best. At least for most people.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's now over a month since SOE live and we have not had a single update not even some fluff art or a devblog or anything. I guess "lots more coming soon" isn't soon enough.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Were you really expecting anything? If there was anything interesting they would of showed it already.
I wasn't expecting anything just...something, ya know? Even garbage fluff like theory crafting or another set up video.

I don't think one update a month is to much to ask for even if it's just some stuff to keep us talking.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Let's be real here a_skeleton_02, ponytail's resume is just a bunch of Mr. Fixit stuff with planetside and the EQ series during its decline. Aside from Gaia Online (rofl) this guy is a repairman.

I wouldn't put much stock into his style of management regarding timeliness and updates considering his past.

Sorry to say, babe, but this is the prodigal child of Papa Smedbux and George the Janitor.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Let's be real here a_skeleton_02, ponytail's resume is just a bunch of Mr. Fixit stuff with planetside and the EQ series during its decline. Aside from Gaia Online (rofl) this guy is a repairman.

I wouldn't put much stock into his style of management regarding timeliness and updates considering his past.
A man in a greasy Poneytail being dishonest? Sir, I think you are mistaken.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
It's now over a month since SOE live and we have not had a single update not even some fluff art or a devblog or anything. I guess "lots more coming soon" isn't soon enough.
Well, they are planning to release a video discussing the StoryBricks stuff from SOE Live, which they've said will probably include some stuff that wasn't sufficiently finished to show during the panel.

Shouldn't be too far off now, the last dev post regarding it said that they were finished recording the video, and were in the process of editing everything together.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Star Wars did flop so did all the other clones. Maybe Star Wars is gaining now because they redid a large chunk of the game. They fucked up let a fat sploit in pvp zone ruin the game for most. All terrible games playable for a month or less by the majority of real gamers. Casuals maybe play around for a couple months. Same for final fantasy most were in the Raid zone and clearing before the shit was even playable. Having to skip bosses. All flops.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Having a game played by most for years + is non flop. All the titles released recently have been for profit by retail box sales and that's it. Not from subs.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Star Wars did flop so did all the other clones. Maybe Star Wars is gaining now because they redid a large chunk of the game. They fucked up let a fat sploit in pvp zone ruin the game for most. All terrible games playable for a month or less by the majority of real gamers. Casuals maybe play around for a couple months. Same for final fantasy most were in the Raid zone and clearing before the shit was even playable. Having to skip bosses. All flops.
Having a game played by most for years + is non flop. All the titles released recently have been for profit by retail box sales and that's it. Not from subs.
Your definition of Flop compared to the companies definition of flop are very different.

It's one of the most profitable f2p games out there and it makes EA a loooottt of money.

I played the game at launch and chewed through the contact and left just like all the other raiders but the game is not a flop what so ever.