EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I mean, SKs need to be able to tank as backup regardless of era.

Also anyone who is multiboxing better have their tank be their raid character unless they want to get stomped by group content.

Knew a guy who mained a Bard and had a box Warrior he wanted to eventually be his main, but all his raid gear went to his Bard, so his Bard tanked when he'd do group content. It was back-asswards. He didn't have anything together and didn't last long at all.
I think this is a growing issue in the meta on TLPs. Anyone who plans to box realizes they are better off just maining the tank. After a certain number guilds and raids really get minimal benefit from adding tanks to the roster though.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When do they usually make this announcement? If they had some amazing rule set for the 25th I would think it would be all over the internet and they would be talking it up getting the most people as they could for launch.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When do they usually make this announcement? If they had some amazing rule set for the 25th I would think it would be all over the internet and they would be talking it up getting the most people as they could for launch.
Announcement might revolve around the anniversary which starts tomorrow. Probably come towards the end of the event.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Sadly that’s a small man roster. A real raid could never be so clean because there is always some shitter who wants to main a Rogue or something. People and their “fun” in my mmos.
HEY! Not nice. I tried lol.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think this is a growing issue in the meta on TLPs. Anyone who plans to box realizes they are better off just maining the tank. After a certain number guilds and raids really get minimal benefit from adding tanks to the roster though.
Every time I did return, there was a completely new raid roster of Warriors in the Mischief guild. It may be different now, but Classic had its own Warriors, I dont think I recognized any warriors in the guild come Kunark, and I definitely didnt recognize any warriors in SOV, or hell, even SOL. Im guessing you're just talking about the bloat at the beginning of the tier? Cause having one or two that stick around the entire time has to be worth their weight in gold.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Personas let you be all the things now.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Personas let you be all the things now.
Actually, the personas wouldn't be a bad way to main a bard in your raid guild and then use that same account as your SK tank for your box group outside of raiding since the plate gear your bard is getting on raids can be worn by your SK group tank.

Or... seeing as every raid guild needs 1 paladin and nobody wants to play a paladin, you could raid main a paladin and have a SK persona that uses his gear for tanking on your box crew outside of raiding.

This might actually be a way to get some people to play the least desirable classes for raiding because they can transfer most of that gear to the character they actually want to play outside of raiding.

It will also lend itself well for those people that always switch to Beastlord or Berserker when they become available. Play a monk until Luclin comes out, create Beastlord persona that uses your monk's gear. Play a ranger until GoD comes out, create a Berserker persona that uses all the ranger's gear.

For fucks sake... now I am getting excited about the next TLP. God damn it! I wanted to be done with this shit.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Actually, the personas wouldn't be a bad way to main a bard in your raid guild and then use that same account as your SK tank for your box group outside of raiding since the plate gear your bard is getting on raids can be worn by your SK group tank.

Or... seeing as every raid guild needs 1 paladin and nobody wants to play a paladin, you could raid main a paladin and have a SK persona that uses his gear for tanking on your box crew outside of raiding.

This might actually be a way to get some people to play the least desirable classes for raiding because they can transfer most of that gear to the character they actually want to play outside of raiding.

It will also lend itself well for those people that always switch to Beastlord or Berserker when they become available. Play a monk until Luclin comes out, create Beastlord persona that uses your monk's gear. Play a ranger until GoD comes out, create a Berserker persona that uses all the ranger's gear.

For fucks sake... now I am getting excited about the next TLP. God damn it! I wanted to be done with this shit.
I got my BRD to 70 before fully reading the description for bellow. I had been refreshing it before it wore off. Yeah. c_c;

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

In a mischief rule set you can do all of that without personas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
WAR/WAR/WAR or ROG/ROG/ROG for absolute worst. No heals, no cc, no buffs. Can kill shit, but will have to bind/rest after every fight. Every casting class has some type of CC. WIZ could snare and let rogues eat the mob's asshole for lunch. Add DS and nuke a little maybe, almost no downtime.

If we're talking about a group and not a box situation, 3 rogues could work (maybe). Ping pong the aggro around, 2 out of 3 backstabbing at any given time. Warrior DPS is so abysmally bad in classic/kunark that if we're looking at those eras I think that would be the worse of the two. Take ages to kill things, then sit there with terrible regen.

For a box setup, I think 3 Druids might be pretty bad too. Their strength is kiting, and trying to kite with 3 characters at once (and the aggro pinging around) sounds like a nightmare unless you have really good third-party programs that have all your characters stuck together and doing the same moves. In which case you'll get DC'd pretty quick. That leaves you with "stand and try to nuke mobs down" with a druid tanking.

But yeah, War x3 or Rog x3 is no doubt the worst. Back in the day those two classes had an EXP bonus, don't know if that's still the case, which at least offset some of their problems a little bit. Worst time I ever had in EQ was maining a rogue during late Velious / early Luclin and trying to solo anything. Got a healing BP (Skyshrine IIRC) for between-fight recovery and thought I could finally pull it off, but that still requires actually winning the fight to begin with. Managed to win a few fights in Dreadlands at like level 51, lol. It was pretty pathetic.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I got my BRD to 70 before fully reading the description for bellow. I had been refreshing it before it wore off. Yeah. c_c;

That's a pretty easy mistake to make since the cooldown refreshes before the ability fires, plus I think it's the only "delayed fire" ability. I imagine a lot of people do that without knowing it, thinking it's just a basic DD. But yeah, Bellow damage is really low until later expansions anyway. Not sure when exactly, but at some point the damage just absolutely goes through the roof. I think there was one expansion (Empires of Kunark?) that added like 40 levels of damage-increasing AAs for Bellow and song DoTs. Net gain was something like +300% damage for I don't even know how many AA points, let's say like a thousand.

Oh yeah, there's another delayed fire ability, Monk's Five Point Palm in later expansions. Even that is nice enough to not have the cooldown end before the ability goes off.

Not sure how Personas work, doesn't it not share inventory between different personae? Can you actually share no-drop gear between classes?

Later expansions they make a ton of gear class-specific, so even if you can share gear between Personas, you won't be able to use the same visible slots from one class to another. A lot of non-visible slots are still All/All at least.

"Nobody wants to play a Paladin" is why I'm considering dual-classing SK/Paladin this time around. Can share most of their gear, and would be an interesting dichotomy, certainly something different. Can switch depending on what a raid needs. Also a way for me to finally try Paladin without giving up SK or wasting much time/work (given that anything gained by one can benefit the other, outside of AAs once they're a thing).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Three Berserkers is up there with 3 rogues/warriors

Yeah I'm not sure if people know how BAD berserkers actually are early-era. Most get them to 65 quick once they're available, PL, twink up, whatever the case may be.

Zerker starting at level 1 from scratch, until about level 60, is terrible. The flimsiness of a rogue and the low DPS of a warrior, combined into one, with throwing attacks that do very little damage. It's also an incredibly boring class in early era, with little to do besides autoattacking until the 50's. Frenzy is nice, but by the time you get it you can go right to /autoskilling it, so you still don't have much to press. It's only in like the TSS+ era that zerkers have very many buttons to press.

I'll say this though, their instant stun and snare abilities are top-notch, and anyone who is situationally aware enough to use them can contribute to a group at low levels even if everything else about the class sucks. Snare runners, stun gaters, and if a tank dies or loses control of aggro (or you get an add on a healer/caster) you can snap aggro off of them with the snare abilities.

Outside of the situational times where those things made a difference (mostly in Guk), Zerker was unbelievably dull from about 1-61, with a little bit of fun added in the 50's with disciplines. Most of their actual stuff is 61-65 (and onward) and the devs didn't go out of their way to backfill the class in any way.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not sure how Personas work, doesn't it not share inventory between different personae? Can you actually share no-drop gear between classes?

Later expansions they make a ton of gear class-specific, so even if you can share gear between Personas, you won't be able to use the same visible slots from one class to another. A lot of non-visible slots are still All/All at least.

"Nobody wants to play a Paladin" is why I'm considering dual-classing SK/Paladin this time around. Can share most of their gear, and would be an interesting dichotomy, certainly something different. Can switch depending on what a raid needs. Also a way for me to finally try Paladin without giving up SK or wasting much time/work (given that anything gained by one can benefit the other, outside of AAs once they're a thing).
Personas share inventory, bank, and cheevo based flags. So if your main is plate based you are good to go through vanilla, kunark, and SOL np. All that sexy ass notrade loot with no item levels can be used on all your plate personas.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Free Trade does hamper the Persona thing a bit with sharing gear so easily which made me think they wouldn't have it on the new server, but it's such a slam dunk for most of the community and DPG they've gotta do it. Leaving money behind otherwise.

I'd like for there to be a way to share factions between personas manually, but obviously having a high elf cleric switch to a dark elf SK is going to get you instagibbed in your own guild unless they found a workaround. But shit like Velious factions will be a bit of a nightmare, BUT on the otherhand you could have one persona for giants and another for dragons and turn in whatever pieces you want and switch them around which is pretty awesome.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well last two times the Producer's Letter released details the first-ish week of April. Once on a Wednesday and once on a Thursday. Before that they announced it in March!

So in classic DarkPaw style we have 0 idea when the fuck they'll announce it.

• 1Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They probably started working on the rules set last week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
J Chan totally has it ready to post, but she has guests over and is just waiting for them to leave.