EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Assuming people bid near market value, and you arent being bamboozled by leadership, you should end up with plat at the value of dkp worth that lets you buy what you need on the market and later bazaar. In fact it generally works in favor of the more popular classes (war sk clr) and screws classes like chain ones that were used to just goblining cheap shit due to low competition. If you have 40 people in a raid, and 20 items drop, you get around half the plat value of the average item when all is said and done.

Meanwhile, dkp is pretty fucking easy to corrupt too, oh man. At least with gdkp you cant use magic to suddenly create points; if the sum at the end is short, every single person can notice.

Also something something gdkp is 90% of the reason for rmt something something, per the wow sod thread.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
At least with gdkp you cant use magic to suddenly create points

tldw there was a plat dupe and it affected Mischief to a degree such that some individuals were barred from bidding on items with plat

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
(I never played Mischief or Free Trade)...

I have read often that Mischief is easy gearing since loot pinatas and free trade keeps item in the ecosystem... My question is... what motivates you to keep progressing your character on a server like that? Is it just to gamble kill rares for loot to sell for Krono? Generally curious how a server like that is fun for an old school MMO audience. What is the carrot to chase?

Not even going to try to discuss the pay2win element of free trade... obvious enough.
Conducting a study?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
(I never played Mischief or Free Trade)...

I have read often that Mischief is easy gearing since loot pinatas and free trade keeps item in the ecosystem... My question is... what motivates you to keep progressing your character on a server like that? Is it just to gamble kill rares for loot to sell for Krono? Generally curious how a server like that is fun for an old school MMO audience. What is the carrot to chase?

Not even going to try to discuss the pay2win element of free trade... obvious enough.
Fun

• 1Truth!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't play on Mischief for long but it was definitely fun for a bit, so many items I'd never seen before even if they had been in the game since 1999 because they normally drop off some random bear in West Karana that no one ever farms.

I don't recall if you can get Kunark stuff off classic zone mobs though.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
No the pools are same expansion same level Range, and while there is interesting stuff that you don't normally see most of it is trash that you can barely give away, particularly once Velious drops and everyone is chasing ToV/Kael/Tunare loot.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
There are some fun instances of mobs or targets being much more attractive than normal. I forget which mobs but some bosses in Fear are in the same pool as avatar of war because of the velious fear revamp so I remember clearing fear outside of Cazic one night and getting a breastplate of eradication on both my my toons since it was a test raid with a newly formed guild, and we just needed/greeted in the UI based on callouts for actualy need and greed.

for the casual loser dad raid types like me it’s great cause you can get shots a gear you wouldn’t normally, but also makes all raid content viable so you’ll never miss out or not have something to do with lockouts. And you can play catchup pretty quick if you want to go the small dedicated raid route.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Think I'm in the super minority here, but I really can't get into the random loot aspect of Mischief. No trade is cool, but for me the random loot takes away a bit from the identity of the raids and the game.

Will probably still play. Not sure that I have the time or patience for Tormax at this point.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
How easy is it to do the steam deck with eq? Any loss of playability / function?

maybe see if i can shitlord the mischief rules feels like the one to do

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Free trade really improves the game in my opinion, more so in classic honestly, when theres very little good gear outside of the planes. A lot of stuff that's just hammered dog shit by the time you can get it, is actually useful for lower level players.
Even that gear is only 'good' in comparison to what else is around. A simple solution I've always liked was Aeth's idea to just put the lower tiers of defiant gear on the loot table of motm mobs in the earlier expansions. VP would be a lot less terrible if it wasn't just a bunch of weapons nobody wants.

On Vaniki, we wore our blue noob tutorial gear for ages.

Think I'm in the super minority here, but I really can't get into the random loot aspect of Mischief. No trade is cool, but for me the random loot takes away a bit from the identity of the raids and the game.
Modifying it so that only the bonus loot is random roll would probably smooth out some of the chaos of Mischief. The ruleset made more sense when it was a Bristlebane server. As mentioned earlier, Teek doesn't make a lot of sense esp with no special mechanics involving hot zones/xp.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I understand that most of you that didnt play on Mischief have no idea how it works, or benefits you. Keep in mind that this server will allow you to create your own instance for raid mobs. So not only can you join a guild that does loot how you think it should be done - but you also get the opportunity to form a small group of like minded individuals and farm the smaller raid mobs. Why is that important? Because they drop the same chase items your bigger raid mobs do (sometimes). Some of these raid mobs are extremely easy for around 8-10 people.

In fact, youll have a better playing experience than those of us that started on mischief. Not only is one of the major plat dupes fixed, afaik, but Mischief was also a test trial for what mobs drop what. Some mobs that had extremely short spawn times were dropping raid gear, and all we did was just hold a monopoly on them for the over world. Those are nerfed now for example. The tiers of loot were buffed for some mobs and nerfed for others. You even have a full source from Magelo to find the easiest mob to farm for the item you seek. Hell, its almost trivial to get mask, cloak, earring and boot clickies.

Stop pining on the worst case negatives and just try it out. If you play the game blind, its kind of fun because its a lottery. An FBSS dropping out of the blue was really exciting for example.

Nr - Siliconemelons Siliconemelons can you msg me. Your shits all locked down.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Will probably still play. Not sure that I have the time or patience for Tormax at this point.
You gonna stop by the Discord and say hi? We still love you boo boo.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
How easy is it to do the steam deck with eq? Any loss of playability / function?

maybe see if i can shitlord the mischief rules feels like the one to do
Do you mean using it as a box or just to play?

Box you can just Steam stream it to your main pc.

Just using it I've played from bed launched from Steam and just binding the keys I wanted to the gamepad.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Do you mean using it as a box or just to play?

Box you can just Steam stream it to your main pc.

Just using it I've played from bed launched from Steam and just binding the keys I wanted to the gamepad.
To play

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
No the pools are same expansion same level Range, and while there is interesting stuff that you don't normally see most of it is trash that you can barely give away, particularly once Velious drops and everyone is chasing ToV/Kael/Tunare loot.

Yeah, even in the early-era Mischief I played (classic/kunark) there was so much loot that most things were basically worthless. When FBSS can drop from any mob (edit: any named) that's like 38ish, there are lots of FBSSes.

If one's never played on this kind of server before and plans to farm, don't be surprised if farmed loot can barely be given away after a few weeks on the new server.

I'm wondering if Sleeper's Tomb 1.0 loot can drop off other mobs (ToV? WW?) or if it continued dropping post-awakening on Mischief. How did that work?

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Even that gear is only 'good' in comparison to what else is around. A simple solution I've always liked was Aeth's idea to just put the lower tiers of defiant gear on the loot table of motm mobs in the earlier expansions. VP would be a lot less terrible if it wasn't just a bunch of weapons nobody wants.

On Vaniki, we wore our blue noob tutorial gear for ages.

That sounds like a massive negative. Keeping the same gear for multiple expansions? No thanks. Defiant gear quickly has heroic stats so I really don't think it should be appearing before PoP.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, even in the early-era Mischief I played (classic/kunark) there was so much loot that most things were basically worthless. When FBSS can drop from any mob (edit: any named) that's like 38ish, there are lots of FBSSes.

If one's never played on this kind of server before and plans to farm, don't be surprised if farmed loot can barely be given away after a few weeks on the new server.

I'm wondering if Sleeper's Tomb 1.0 loot can drop off other mobs (ToV? WW?) or if it continued dropping post-awakening on Mischief. How did that work?
They changed it so 1.0 would drop off mobs even after 2.0 went active. Hilarious for the people who massively overspent on Tink Mask, SoD, etc.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They changed it so 1.0 would drop off mobs even after 2.0 went active. Hilarious for the people who massively overspent on Tink Mask, SoD, etc.

I never got the allure of Sleeper loot to begin with (outside of selling them for large krono profits I guess). SoD is a decent weapon I suppose, for a short time.

Give me a Primal weap to bandolier in and I'm good on that zone.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Have they mentioned anything at all regarding rampant MQ/automation on these new servers? Do they have any kind of actual plan to deal with the level of automation that has come to the game in the last ~5 years?

'Truebox' is a complete lie and does nothing but make boomer Dan buy a 200$ laptop to play his cleric on. Meanwhile there's dozens of fully automated 6+ box crews teleporting around every dungeon/running their own raid DZs 24/7.

I really, really urge you nerds to temper your expectations here, because unless they pull a fuckin hail mary and actually provide meaningful GM enforcement y'all are gonna be in for a real rough time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users