EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
But wait! What was the point of nerfing Howling Stones? Zone is out of the way and takes a bit more effort to get keyed for, plus it's pretty dangerous, so the high EXP was the reason to go.

Just wondering why they'd make a zone like that useless, if that's what happened. Also means more people are just gonna funnel into Seb/Chardok. (For my money Karnor gets undersold).

Xevy

Log Wizard
HS exp is nerfed but keying is much, much easier now. It also is lower than Chardok with most mobs being 53ish.

HOWEVER, it is king shit for rare mob spawns. Like nonstop rare spawns because most everything is a PH. That, coupled with a Mischief style loot system, means it will actually be a great money farming place. It's also got huge density with a decent respawn so if you can handle it you can basically clear each wing in rotation for decent exp without having to sit in the same corner of Chardok.

Honestly it's like 65% of the exp vs Chardok, but for slower paced people looking for upgrades or just fun it could definitely be a place to go. Chokidai Prods are much easier to get and Xalgoz is only camped hard early. With Drusella drops coming from elsewhere people aren't as hard up for the HS key.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
But wait! What was the point of nerfing Howling Stones? Zone is out of the way and takes a bit more effort to get keyed for, plus it's pretty dangerous, so the high EXP was the reason to go.

Just wondering why they'd make a zone like that useless, if that's what happened. Also means more people are just gonna funnel into Seb/Chardok. (For my money Karnor gets undersold).
It was used for power leveling for a while because necromancers could charm some incredibly powerful pets. That might have been why it was nerfed but then the charm was nerfed and the XP was never reverted.

It's honestly still not that bad if you have a high DPS competent group. The mobs hit really hard but have very low HP so you can really mow through them with the right group. As Xevy noted, it's a good money farm for Mischief because there are an endless amount of rares.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you could still charm rare-flagged mobs than HS would be just fine. Lots of things to kill each with low relative health pools but that doesn't work anymore. You can't just plow the whole place with a Crypt Whatever langolier thing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
HS exp is nerfed but keying is much, much easier now. It also is lower than Chardok with most mobs being 53ish.

HOWEVER, it is king shit for rare mob spawns. Like nonstop rare spawns because most everything is a PH. That, coupled with a Mischief style loot system, means it will actually be a great money farming place. It's also got huge density with a decent respawn so if you can handle it you can basically clear each wing in rotation for decent exp without having to sit in the same corner of Chardok.

Honestly it's like 65% of the exp vs Chardok, but for slower paced people looking for upgrades or just fun it could definitely be a place to go. Chokidai Prods are much easier to get and Xalgoz is only camped hard early. With Drusella drops coming from elsewhere people aren't as hard up for the HS key.
One of my favorite zones in the game, especially when you have it to yourself.

• 2Like

Canibal

Golden Knight of the Realm
Teek population is gonna be so wild. I really hope they make a plan for a second server and they set a date like a year out for a merge. Surely they have to see this coming. I missed mischief the first go around due to RL and didn’t get into it until over a year after it launched. I imagine there’s plenty of people like me that’ll be ready to go this time just adding to the masses. Then you add that so many of us box these days and that’s even more login attempts. Gonna be brutal!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Very excited to actually get to play a Mischief 2.0 server, as I missed the first. How does the exp rate compare to past TLP servers? I remember Ragefire being pretty fast, Phinny being horribly slow, and Aradune being a middle ground?

I still think it would've been cool to change the zem for all the zones to change up the meta leveling routes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Very excited to actually get to play a Mischief 2.0 server, as I missed the first. How does the exp rate compare to past TLP servers? I remember Ragefire being pretty fast, Phinny being horribly slow, and Aradune being a middle ground?

I still think it would've been cool to change the zem for all the zones to change up the meta leveling routes.

Slower than Ragefire, faster than Phinny. They typically refer to it as Mangler Ruleset in regards to exp. That's what Aradune, Oakwynd and most of the last few years of TLPs have had. The launch is Wed the 22nd with that weekend being a holiday weekend that usually has 50% exp.

As I said before even if you're a casual set aside some time for launch week. You'll save yourself a ton of time in the end if you level while everyone is leveling.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How much of a level spread do TLPs usually have? I started EQ in Kunark, but had limited playtime and didn’t hit 60 until a bit into PoP, so I’ve never done any of the Kunark raid or high group content, so Teek is looking pretty appealing. I haven’t played any TLPs, though, so I don’t know if the vast majority of players are speeding to cap or if there’s a decent distribution of people on the slower end. Does Faceless usually just limit itself to competitive folks, or are there some social groups of players allowed as well?
There will be an insane amount of groups, and shit will be popping off ALL over! Hype!

• 2Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Slower than Ragefire, faster than Phinny. They typically refer to it as Mangler Ruleset in regards to exp. That's what Aradune, Oakwynd and most of the last few years of TLPs have had. The launch is Wed the 22nd with that weekend being a holiday weekend that usually has 50% exp.

As I said before even if you're a casual set aside some time for launch week. You'll save yourself a ton of time in the end if you level while everyone is leveling.
Let's clarify this a little and add some context.

It's not that after the initial rush there won't be groups to group with, however the chance that you will get an all Dad group that starts every Guk group with "Man I haven't seen this place in 20 years", and therefore doesn't care about efficient pulling, and common wipes are just "part of the experience", this chance is much much higher the further past the initial rush you get.

In a way it's poetic, because it's partly frustrating because I wanna enjoy EQ, but sometimes don't have 4 hours to get a group going and finally get going, but EQ still fights back. Still says nope, you may have found BIS routes and BIS setups, but fuck you this is EQ, and it's gonna go as fast as I want to make it go!

Everquest will never die.

• 2Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

Unless they change the randomization from Mischief it won't be. You get a lot of rares, but it's on a terrible table with tons of trash loot. Almost all of the good Kunark group loot is on the level 55-60 rare table.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Let's clarify this a little and add some context.

It's not that after the initial rush there won't be groups to group with, however the chance that you will get an all Dad group that starts every Guk group with "Man I haven't seen this place in 20 years", and therefore doesn't care about efficient pulling, and common wipes are just "part of the experience", this chance is much much higher the further past the initial rush you get.

In a way it's poetic, because it's partly frustrating because I wanna enjoy EQ, but sometimes don't have 4 hours to get a group going and finally get going, but EQ still fights back. Still says nope, you may have found BIS routes and BIS setups, but fuck you this is EQ, and it's gonna go as fast as I want to make it go!

I am in awe of the spectacular autism displayed here

love this place

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

I will buy this game out of the trash if it ever goes under to keep it going. Or I will pay for an apartment for secrets to keep it going.

we got this bros. Help isn’t coming with pantheon got to keep the flame alive

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
TBH I don't think EQ has any chance of actually dying, not when emulator servers are a thing. See how Vanguard is still available today on emulator servers. There'll be enough of those running for any remaining population to keep going. If the main game dies, it mainly just means no new live expansions, which I don't think matters to many of us here at this point anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
TBH I don't think EQ has any chance of actually dying, not when emulator servers are a thing. See how Vanguard is still available today on emulator servers. There'll be enough of those running for any remaining population to keep going. If the main game dies, it mainly just means no new live expansions, which I don't think matters to many of us here at this point anyway.
At some level the best thing for "EverQuest" is if DPG goes down and the EQ IP is abandoned or becomes totally different. Doing something to open source DBG's version of EQ and collaborate with the EQ emu communities would produce much better than the skeleton crew being paid wage slaves is capable of.

Dubee the Sugawolf Pimp

Trakanon Raider
If they don't launch this with a backup server (and perhaps consolidate later) it's going to be a shitshow. Backup server would allow everyone who just wants to play and isn't in it for the raid game / top guilds to filter to the backup server and probably have a better overall experience with fewer people. And the main server would actually be playable.

They might as well just drop Tormax as a separate thing entirely and make it a second Teek, which I've got a feeling is what's going to happen. That'd be cool, as Tormax is a much cooler name than Teek and most raid guilds would probably rather roll up on there.
Are secondary servers even necessary with picks? Like someone said earlier in this thread they merge later than they should and makes economy weird sometimes. Just keep population together.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are secondary servers even necessary with picks? Like someone said earlier in this thread they merge later than they should and makes economy weird sometimes. Just keep population together.
I'm guessing there's server congestion that isn't alleviated by picks, which is why they introduce queues, but I'm also kinda curious what would happen if they didn't have queues and what could be done to alleviate that type of congestion.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'm thinking more about server crashes and queues getting in. If this has one of the biggest queues in history at launch, most of the people who want to play won't even be able to get in that evening.

The nightmare scenario (which I've never had to deal with) is when someone can't get in until after midnight and totally misses out on their static group. I'm sure that happens a lot and probably runs a good amount of players off.

DPG's solution in the past has generally been to let it sort itself out, i.e. let people give up and go away until the queue is manageable.

Well, this server is gonna have the biggest queue ever, in all likelihood.