EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm thinking more about server crashes and queues getting in. If this has one of the biggest queues in history at launch, most of the people who want to play won't even be able to get in that evening.

The nightmare scenario (which I've never had to deal with) is when someone can't get in until after midnight and totally misses out on their static group. I'm sure that happens a lot and probably runs a good amount of players off.

DPG's solution in the past has generally been to let it sort itself out, i.e. let people give up and go away until the queue is manageable.

Well, this server is gonna have the biggest queue ever, in all likelihood.
On the first day, we were all in pretty quick as soon as the server came up with only a 5-30 minute difference between us. So its worth it to get on as soon as it launches that day. There were people complaining later that night that the queue was hours long, though. Just keep in mind the vast majority of the players of the game will be 9-5 kind of people. If you, or anyone else plans on being a responsible adult during this time period - I highly recommend getting your phone setup to remote into your computer so you can get it in queue early.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
At some level the best thing for "EverQuest" is if DPG goes down and the EQ IP is abandoned or becomes totally different. Doing something to open source DBG's version of EQ and collaborate with the EQ emu communities would produce much better than the skeleton crew being paid wage slaves is capable of.
I agree with this, but the harsh reality is the skeleton crew being paid minimum wage contract money in California is probably the only way EQ stays truly alive. It's just not THAT profitable for another company to do anything with it and the game code is older than the majority of game devs in existence. The most likely scenario would be a largish company adding the IP to their portfolio, letting EQ live go on, doing a TLP every few years instead of every year, and then using the EQ name to make some EQ3 that probably honestly sucks. I'd almost rather it lag on with the current crew with JChan at the helm as she's at least pushing for SOME modernization of the game (64 bit, personas, etc etc). The emulators will always be around until DPG realizes they're more popular than their live game at which point they have two options A: integrate with the mods so DPG still gets $ from box sales, MTX, etc or B: shut them all down. Hopefully neither of those happen and DPG can keep creeping along while Emulators can exist freely.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Everquest is a very old game written in a tank engine. Picks help with mob contention and spreading out the players who are on the server, but it doesn't magically make their server able to handle more load. Then there are the bottlenecks like login servers, etc.

It's not that after the initial rush there won't be groups to group with, however the chance that you will get an all Dad group that starts every Guk group with "Man I haven't seen this place in 20 years", and therefore doesn't care about efficient pulling, and common wipes are just "part of the experience", this chance is much much higher the further past the initial rush you get.
To be fair, if you're that far behind the curve, you are one of those dads.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think finding groups will be fine for the first few weeks. Even if mains reach 60th in 1 week, there will be ALTS to level. This server appears to have a lot of popularity both from the Hardcore and the base casual. Should hopefully be fun for a while.

• 1Like

Daidraco

I think finding groups will be fine for the first few weeks. Even if mains reach 60th in 1 week, there will be ALTS to level. This server appears to have a lot of popularity both from the Hardcore and the base casual. Should hopefully be fun for a while.
Yea. Im not struggle bussing with a Warrior from the start like I did with Mischief. Instead going with two supports, that can solo on their own. Which I can then use to power level the Warrior.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The problem you can run in to in EQ is that if you can't get a group your progression is (often) zero. If you're leveling outside of the times everyone is leveling or playing something crappy or both you can just get stuck. Log on, look for a group, can't find one, time passes, log off, repeat.

On the reverse if you're willing to pilot a Cleric and aren't filling discord with gamer words the tolerance for your shit is immense plus leveling is a breeze. If you're Joe Dad Gamer don't pick a low tier melee char. 22% RA Cleric that isn't sure what a batphone even is and you're still guild bedrock as far as leadership is concerned.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea. Im not struggle bussing with a Warrior from the start like I did with Mischief. Instead going with two supports, that can solo on their own. Which I can then use to power level the Warrior.
Since my class will not exist, I am struggling with what I want to play. I will have 2 accounts(When I am at home), so one account will be a bard. My wife plays a Druid. Mage is the class I keep coming back too for its solo capability and I can group with it just fine. I started with a Druid and then went Necromancer on Mischief, when that server first kicked off.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It starts with Kunark? I wonder how many Human Monks will exist :p

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It starts with Kunark? I wonder how many Human Monks will exist :p

They've got the superior fist attack speed! Iksar are one delay slower. Absolutely unplayable.

At least with personas it won't be a mess getting them out of Cabilis. Server launches, you make your Iksar Monk or Shaman or whatever and then persona swap to a human Warrior, die, pop up in Freeport, swap back to Iksar and then go bind yourself in the EC tunnel before meeting up with your group. They're going to sell a boatload of whatever that expansion is that has persona slots in it.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
how does persona help you get out of cab, the personas dont share bind points? or am I missing something.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
how does persona help you get out of cab, the personas dont share bind points? or am I missing something.

1712786682630.png

So when you swap to whatever you'll have a new bind point. If you're a human warrior from Freeport, for example, you'll get dumped in to NFP after you suicide. While in NFP you swap back

1712786783350.png

to Iksar and just run in to EC. Take a detour by the EC tunnel to use the Soul Binder and then go to your group.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah my guildmates did some testing as a lot of people will be Ogres and such but want to level in Field of Bone or whatever. So basically you make your character whatever you actually want. Then, you make your 2nd character of WHERE you want to be (keep in mind you can't delete personas). Then you run to the zone entrance of that city and switch back to your main character. Insta world travel.

So for ex:

Make a Barbarian Warrior. He's created, you're logged in.
Then make a Wood Elf Druid. It logs your character out (you must be a in city) to make the character. You're now a Wood Elf druid in Gfay.
Now, simply switch back to your Barbarian Warrior in Gfay and VOILA. You're ready for Crushbone. Just make sure you bind your TP'd char somewhere convenient. A LOT of people are going to fuck up by making goodie toons in bad cities and vice versa without binding and getting Guarded to death.

Daidraco

Yeah my guildmates did some testing as a lot of people will be Ogres and such but want to level in Field of Bone or whatever. So basically you make your character whatever you actually want. Then, you make your 2nd character of WHERE you want to be (keep in mind you can't delete personas). Then you run to the zone entrance of that city and switch back to your main character. Insta world travel.

So for ex:

Make a Barbarian Warrior. He's created, you're logged in.
Then make a Wood Elf Druid. It logs your character out (you must be a in city) to make the character. You're now a Wood Elf druid in Gfay.
Now, simply switch back to your Barbarian Warrior in Gfay and VOILA. You're ready for Crushbone. Just make sure you bind your TP'd char somewhere convenient. A LOT of people are going to fuck up by making goodie toons in bad cities and vice versa without binding and getting Guarded to death.
Just to clarify, you have to purchase Laurions Song to get the feature, correct? Base looks like it comes with 3 Persona Slots. So 35+20+35 to be completely ready on launch (two 40 slot 100% bags, and 8 Adventure 2 potions). Then, I never did it on Mischief.. but do you have to have a membership the regular way to be able to purchase the perks, or can you pop a krono and then you can purchase the perks? Though, Im not even sure all three of the perks are worth it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Just to clarify, you have to purchase Laurions Song to get the feature, correct? Base looks like it comes with 3 Persona Slots. So 35+20+35 to be completely ready on launch (two 40 slot 100% bags, and 8 Adventure 2 potions). Then, I never did it on Mischief.. but do you have to have a membership the regular way to be able to purchase the perks, or can you pop a krono and get the perks? Though, Im not even sure all three of the perks are worth it.
You can have a krono or credit card subscription but you have to pay for the perks with a credit card. At least, that's how it worked when I played on mischief; I don't know if they changed that system at all.

Also keep in mind the price is prorated to the length of time left on your subscription. So if you have a year-long sub then you're paying for year-long perks. If you have one day left then you're paying for one day's worth of perks. There's no canceling early.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just to clarify, you have to purchase Laurions Song to get the feature, correct? Base looks like it comes with 3 Persona Slots. So 35+20+35 to be completely ready on launch (two 40 slot 100% bags, and 8 Adventure 2 potions). Then, I never did it on Mischief.. but do you have to have a membership the regular way to be able to purchase the perks, or can you pop a krono and then you can purchase the perks? Though, Im not even sure all three of the perks are worth it.
As Dick said you gotta pay with Credit Card, but I don't think you need a premium account ACTIVE to buy the expac. You definitely have to buy the expac for the personas, which means $35 minimum for the 3 slotter (slots are actually 1500 points, $15 each in the shop AFTER you have Laurion's song) so it's not a bad deal. The $70 pack is the best bang for your buck for sure because the bag (you'll need it to hold gear for your personas) and the free mount as well as +2 slots. Mounts can end up being anywhere from 6-15kr which is like 40-100 bucks so it's a good deal. There are the pure plat mounts in Luclin+ or AA mounts for Knights, but everyone wants some style points.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
As Dick said you gotta pay with Credit Card, but I don't think you need a premium account ACTIVE to buy the expac. You definitely have to buy the expac for the personas, which means $35 minimum for the 3 slotter (slots are actually 1500 points, $15 each in the shop AFTER you have Laurion's song) so it's not a bad deal.

1712796766444.png

Do you know if you need the expansion to use someone else's tradeable persona slots from them buying the big 249.95 version of Laurion's Song?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Will personas be on Teek? Are they good? How do they work? Are they necessary for the new server? What the fuck are personas?!

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly the persona thing sounds interesting, not just cheating to get around the world faster. Instead of having a 2nd account to farm stuff, I can just do it on a persona. And I was told I could even kill things for say bard epic on that persona and use it on the bard. Since bard is not the best when it comes to killing things solo.

Just remember you cant delete them. So you use them on a character, that is that slot used forever. So don't just use to say buy spells in out of the way spot. I will still probably have the level 1s to buy from erudin, qyenos and possibly HHK.