EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It sounded more like they submitted a rough draft and were then shocked it was then also the final copy.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
He asked for suggestions. They gave them and he took them. So as surprised as they might have been that he listened, it's still what they suggested lol.

And obviously it's not the players job to make the server but we all know the devs don't know anything about their content lol. Would have been like throwing darts at a dart board for them. They listened to the officers of the "top guild"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
He asked for suggestions. They gave them and he took them. So as surprised as they might have been that he listened, it's still what they suggested lol.

And obviously it's not the players job to make the server but we all know the devs don't know anything about their content lol. Would have been like throwing darts at a dart board for them. They listened to the officers of the "top guild"
What were the suggestions?

Zaide

TLP Idealist

Suggestions were made with the idea that OW kills would count and I think also with the assumption that no drop gear would be tradeable and all level reqs/reccs would be gone.

As for the late era shit like Meldrath, I don’t know who selected or suggested those. The people you’re referencing have probably never done TSS+ on a TLP.

• 1Like

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
But these suggestions were made after the launch was already done. We knew the rules already.

Not sure who was assuming that they were making all those changes post launch.

And I'm pretty sure he explained to the group that ow wouldn't count, during the suggestion phase.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If this was the beta the finished server would have actually been really awesome. Unfortunately this is the finished product.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Very weird to hear any bind rush leadership not liking the vaniki achievements since they were almost all of the input and reason why the achievements are what they are. There were like 3 officers/leadership who basically told the devs what targets to use.
That's the funny part about the forums thinking they spent any time at all thinking about the consequences of the target. The second half is basically copy and pasted from someone who can't even post on the forums anymore.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some of the ideas might be better if they were paced differently. Expansions are opening 10 levels early but advancing 5 at a time. Why not have 2 sets of ahead targets? So you for example might have meldrath as 75 instead of 70, even if he unlocks at 70.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This server was a really cool idea, and a lot of people have been having a ton of fun on it (in spite of its problems). However the abysmal execution looks extremely rushed and not well thought-out. For the next one:

-Don't post potentially-impossible achievements like CBQ. Figure out what low-profile targets are doable in the window. If CBQ is the only "doable" GoD target, lower its extreme regen to a normal point that makes sense for a ten-levels-below raid.

-Add more achievements, with more rewards. One per expansion is alright, but you could go a lot further with it. OG Innoruuk could be added at 40, Tormax and Dain could be added at 50, Fennin Ro at 55, Bloodeye, Shyra, and Ture at 60, a whole host of TSS targets at 65 like Oblivion, Vergalid, Lorekeeper. At 70 you could integrate under-utilized SoF fights like Octa, Wirlem, and Scorn, with the big target/reward being Big Bynn. That includes a bunch of guilds in the running.

-It could even be expanded beyond simply boss rewards. For instance, finish the BIC at 60 for some mega-reward. THAT would get people excited. TLP vets love the BIC, but on the current iteration of the server I don't think many are bothering. Finished TSS charm at 70 could be another reward, as well as finished Planar charm at 55 or 60.

-Add something for LOY, I don't think LOY got one. Innoruuk in Nadox.

-Definitely focus the achievements on the lower side of a particular expansion. No expansion final bosses. You want these things to be doable by multiple guilds to have a stronger server, not just the top 1 or 2 guilds. Instead of Meldrath, go with Big Bynn. Contrary to morons on the board thinking I want an "easy" server, I just want one that makes sense and thrives. We would still have impetus to press on and try to kill higher targets (the loot).

-If you want to add some final boss targets, set them at 5 levels below instead of the 10 that most other targets get. For example, add Vulak and AHR at 55.

-Don't get all of the target ideas from a couple of guildleaders. Maybe get a bunch in there for the discussion, especially veterans of this one. I could come up with a whole list of viable targets from start to finish.

-Might want to lower a few more level recs on things like augments. DoN is a borderline useless expansion for group content at 60 because almost all of the augments are rec 70, which ruins the 60 or 65 equipment people are wearing.

-Basically just make sure to do a player feedback thread before starting work on the next one (if there is a next one) and listen. Field some reward ideas from the playerbase and implement the popular ones.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
-Basically just make sure to do a player feedback thread before starting work on the next one (if there is a next one) and listen. Field some reward ideas from the playerbase and implement the popular ones.
The more experimental they make the server the less likely they are to nail the execution, especially in later expansions. Future servers that have goofy rules should bake re-evaluation and rule changes into the plan. I'm imagining for Vaniki they cemented the boss kills in and had no plan or budget to re-evaluate over time, so now they're stuck with rules that are detrimental to their objectives and changing them is haphazard or blocked by their internal redtape. CBQ being so far off the mark (predicted by the community or no) that it should be a wakeup call, but probably isn't.

They also ban any kind of player polling on the official forums and eschew ingame polling, so it's impossible to present any kind of player consensus.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
emoush.jpg

Always got me how we got a dragon-themed expansion... and the first major boss is a puff of smoke

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Alright, I corrected that. Could swear that guildies reported MOTM IV on CBQ though. I entirely missed that fight so I'm going by what people were reporting in.

AFAIK MOTM stopped at PoP.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
-Don't post potentially-impossible achievements like CBQ. Figure out what low-profile targets are doable in the window. If CBQ is the only "doable" GoD target, lower its extreme regen to a normal point that makes sense for a ten-levels-below raid.
I don't think I agree that they should change the fight to be easier just for the achievement. The idea of the challenge server is to do things at a level that you normally wouldn't, not to fight neutered 'challenge server only' versions of the fight. I think it's better if they just picked more realistic targets.

The server took a pretty big hit at 60 because of the pairing of a 3 month level range and really bad achievement targets. 55 was packed full of content because you were flagging and gearing for actually accessible targets and it only lasted a month. Now that we're coming up on week 3 of 12 for the level 60 range, the population is flagging because there is nothing to really look forward to challenge wise at 60 and we're only a quarter of the way through. Whether the server will see a resurgence at 65 will remain to be seen, but the damage on the population of one 'missed' level range is already apparent.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think I agree that they should change the fight to be easier just for the achievement. The idea of the challenge server is to do things at a level that you normally wouldn't, not to fight neutered 'challenge server only' versions of the fight. I think it's better if they just picked more realistic targets.

The server took a pretty big hit at 60 because of the pairing of a 3 month level range and really bad achievement targets. 55 was packed full of content because you were flagging and gearing for actually accessible targets and it only lasted a month. Now that we're coming up on week 3 of 12 for the level 60 range, the population is flagging because there is nothing to really look forward to challenge wise at 60 and we're only a quarter of the way through. Whether the server will see a resurgence at 65 will remain to be seen, but the damage on the population of one 'missed' level range is already apparent.

Man, the 70 era content being a drag even on vaniki is kinda lulzy.

I'd argue they already made mobs easier with the resist change. Nerfing regen isn't really out of line. People were charming and stunning deep reds. If they had just done +5 instead of +10/5 they may have been able to leave resists alone and there'd be an argument about difficulty purity.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Instead of one month at 55 and 3 months at 60, it should have been 2 months at each. We were rushed at 55, now at 60 it's too much time for the reasons you said.

Also we spent way too much time sitting at 40. Should have been a 45 bump halfway through the time to 50.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Forty sucked but fifty-five was surprisingly decent.

The just plain not knowing how things are going to work was/is such a fucking albatross around the neck of the entire server. Everyone's heard about Bind Rush putting in a huge amount of effort doing Luclin shards and Emp keys only to have all of Luclin unlock for free. Quick quiz hotshot. Which spells are not going to be on the merchants with the 60 unlock? Level 60 Luclin drop only spells. LDoN spells? They're all there. Why one and not the other? Don't know. What spells will not be purchasable with the 65 unlock? No idea. What zones will drop flagging/keying requirements going forward and when will they do that? Not entirely sure.

Some of these challenges don't look possible. What's the procedure for impossible achievements? What if like, almost all of these on this whole fucking list are a no-go? What then?

1661231426503.png

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
The TLP code has things set to unlock on expansion release or amount of days a TLP/expansion has been out. Everything unlocks when the expansion it would normally unlock with opens or if zones and loot revamps that are tied to days a TLP has been open like Guise they are going to available for that amount of time.

I'm extremely confident that any boss prior to Underfoot will be extremely easy to go back and cheese once the level cap is in the 85+ range.

Last edited: