EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nothing about the server makes it look like something you can just pop in to and mess around with. To get anywhere you're going to need to be in an organized guild and that guild is going to need goals and a plan. If you're some casual that dings 40 the week after launch what do you even do? Where do you group? How do you progress your character? Even if you're looking to go moderately hard what is the path? There's a mountain of shit to figure out.

The whole thing feels really inaccessible to a big chunk of players.
I mean if you're going hard it won't be that difficult to figure out what people are doing and just go along with it, right? If you're going hard you make friends quickly and will just go right along with them to all the best shit? My guess is that there will be early groups doing round robins on all sorts of gear camps to see if they can even be done at level 40 and if they can, get those little upgrades all over the place.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I mean if you're going hard it won't be that difficult to figure out what people are doing and just go along with it, right? If you're going hard you make friends quickly and will just go right along with them to all the best shit? My guess is that there will be early groups doing round robins on all sorts of gear camps to see if they can even be done at level 40 and if they can, get those little upgrades all over the place.

I'm thinking it's going to be pretty difficult to figure out where to go and then get in on whatever the sharpies are doing. Taking a rando in to your Hole group as you're leveling through the upper 40s sure whatever. Taking a rando in to your level 40 group that is using every trick in the book to kill level 50+ reds for chances at gear previously unusable at those levels? I'm pretty doubtful. Take a chance on a shitter that is going to be rolling on your loots? Let's find someone from the guild instead.

Previous TLPs could see fifteen guilds or more clear content but the gap between getting to level 40 and getting to level 40 and killing Cazic Thule for the challenge achievement in era is going to be so fucking huge that I don't expect more than one or two guilds to be able to pull it off. It'll be really cool for the few able to meet those goals each unlock but the time commitments are going to be prohibitive even as far as MMOs are concerned. I'd like to see a really accomplished guildleader with an officer crew ready to go announce they're going to be doing all the challenges no matter how difficult but I don't expect that to happen. Between all of the TLPs people have done the things they wanted to do, set the records they wanted to set and settled the scores they wanted to settle. The community doesn't have the kind of manic energy that we saw with Selo.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So solo/pug inaccessible. That DOES alienate a lot of perpetual TLPers. Easy solution though is join a guild.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone know how many points a LDoN awards at 40 on normal and on hard? Also, once you have enough points can you buy an item you want regardless of your own level?

1649492248925.png

If we pretend that the "Recommended level of 58" text just does not exist on this item can a level 40 character do a bunch of LDoNs to earn enough points to buy it? A hypothetical raid force of people in gear of this quality could kill Tormax and Vindi I'd think? Also you're 100% going to have your entire guild running

1649492449304.png

Maybe that's just the play? Get to 40, bind your entire guild at the Wakening Lands zone line and choke Statue with your dead? I'm not sure how many zones are going to let you bind rush for 100 hp/mana gear but that will 100% work in Kael.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
The relaxed truebox would be nice. I'm not running multiple laptops to play EQ anymore. Either I can do it on 1 pc or I'm not going to bother. I'd probably be interested in playing on mischief if I could 3-box on 1 PC.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've never done LDON so I thought I would give it a try this morning. I had a 41 pally on phinigel so I ran over to sro to give it a try. Got something like "there's no adventure available" or something.

Talked to a friend who said you need 3 people. So I logged onto my cleric/bard combo from Selo, which merged into povar or something? Got a guk mission, somehow stumbled my way to the door (I realized later it marks it on a compass). And started clearing.

Eventually I find the frog I'm supposed to rescue and hail him and he says "I'll follow you closely" or something. So I run back to the entrance and click the door and leave.

Nothing happens. So I go back in and no frog. Look around and eventually find him and he won't respond to hail or follow me or do anything but stand there. I try every spell in the book to see if I can somehow aggro him or at least kill him for wasting an hour of my life. Nothing.

Eventually I get a message that the mission failed and I'm standing here trying to think of some way to kill this thing painfully and slowly.

• 1Mother of God

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Same people that have been playing every TLP since ragefire/lockjaw.
Seems the playerbase of a 23 year old game is finite though... is this gif accurate? Crush all content, then wait for an empty, fresh TLP to fill?

ContentOccasionalCur-size_restricted.gif

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What youll find is people with infinite playtimes will be playing both servers.
A fresh server is always fun, always has been.

People will burn out, they always do. I knew quite a few that didn't really care for mischief and quit.
Majority of TLP players dont really find post POP interesting so youll still have those players grinding it out, like they have for years.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've never done LDON so I thought I would give it a try this morning. I had a 41 pally on phinigel so I ran over to sro to give it a try. Got something like "there's no adventure available" or something.

Talked to a friend who said you need 3 people. So I logged onto my cleric/bard combo from Selo, which merged into povar or something? Got a guk mission, somehow stumbled my way to the door (I realized later it marks it on a compass). And started clearing.

Eventually I find the frog I'm supposed to rescue and hail him and he says "I'll follow you closely" or something. So I run back to the entrance and click the door and leave.

Nothing happens. So I go back in and no frog. Look around and eventually find him and he won't respond to hail or follow me or do anything but stand there. I try every spell in the book to see if I can somehow aggro him or at least kill him for wasting an hour of my life. Nothing.

Eventually I get a message that the mission failed and I'm standing here trying to think of some way to kill this thing painfully and slowly.

He stopped because there was a mob in his way. Sometimes it can be a mob in a completely different room thats too close, or can be one of those fluff corpses or targetable object that will spawn adds when killed.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

LDoN 101 is that nobody ever does the rescue missions because they suck. The kill boss and collect drop missions can screw you on RNG so people avoid those too. Peak EQ gameplay is just run kill X amount of mobs missions over and over because the charm upgrade is based off your number of wins per camp, so you want to get that number up quickly. Difficulty level does not matter. Hard missions give more points and better loot which is still pointless on normal TLPs but may become relevant on Vaniki.

• 1Like

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
40 is such a irrelevant level. Did they put a blindfold on and throw at a dart board to determine the cap number?

And... why would they cap you at 40 for a whole month? It should be a week or maybe two at the most.
Hill giants are easy to kill with a necro at lvl 40.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya, that's what I kinda was thinking when I asked.

Seems Yelinak is going back to the most vanilla TLP ruleset there is. That's why I thought it'd be DOA.

Day one release Yelinak will be the most populated but not by a lot. Mischief will be second most and Vaniki will be third most.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Thanks for the ldon wisdom. I guess I was expecting the VIP frog to say something. From the people that brought you such hits as 'cannot open file beartan.txt' I suppose. I'm sure 9 out of 10 gamers would also read "no adventure available" and immediately know that they have too few party members.

I was getting some strange dejavu doing this stuff, and today I realized I was remembering daoc catacombs. Same kind of instancy thing with a door down in a dungeon.

• 1Like

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I just got back into EQ after literally 20 years away, and I started up with a friend on FV to try it out. We've been having a pretty good time just levelling up in the nostalgia zones and not really trying to go full efficiency. We were discussing joining the new TLP in May (the normal-ish one, not the level lock one). Can anyone explain what to expect? I see Mischief is still really popular - what makes that one so good, and should we expect a ton of people on the new one when it launches? Or do people not mass migrate to the new TLP's when they come out like I'm imagining? And how long do the communities usually last before they start to fade away?