EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Honestly this is the first time a fresh TLP hasn’t really enticed me. I don’t think it’s the ruleset because I love standard TLPs and I think the level lock concept will be fun too. Something about Mischief just keeps my full focus.
This is exactly what I have been saying all along about this season's TLP offering. The ruleset doesn't matter because Mischief was just too good. I believe that the Mischief server is going to break the mold of TLPs, and actually make it to Live with a strong population.

Mischief is literally FV 2.0 on steroids. Anybody that can not see that just doesn't want to see it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
View attachment 407387
He/she is holding some sort of sword and it's covered by a cloth. What's that about? New epic weapons in development and they're giving a hint of what one of them is gonna look like?

As for the new servers...they're dropping on May 25th, the same day as the EQ2 TLP. So anyone considering trying both out is gonna have to choose now. Kinda lame.

Vaniki server looks interesting enough to try out, not sure how well it's gonna work though. I'd have changed it to start with everything up to SoL unlocked and unlock PoP/GoD at the 55 raise. Seems excessive to have like 6 expansions all unlocking at 60.

Yelinak is bland, but it's the normalcy people like, so it'll probably pull a majority of the TLP crowd away from Vaniki. I can't believe they're doing 16 weeks in PoP yet again, even though the length of PoP has killed the server population in TLP after TLP.
The EQ2 TLE server opens on May 24th, but yeah.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's just now how agro works in EQ. Being lower level doesn't increase social agro range.

I don't think you understand how broken pets are when mobs can be tanked by them.

Sky at 40 with no MoTM is much easier and faster then sky at 50 on a normal TLP.

How are you always so wrong?

• 1Dislike

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I'm more interested in the relaxed true box at this point. I'm kind of over Classic - Luclin but if they do allow 3 boxing on Mischief in Omens I'd start playing that for sure. Otherwise I suppose I will consider Yelinak once they open up relaxed truebox. I realize Rizlona does exist I suppose I could do that, but it's already in dodh so meh, I don't think I'm feeling Rizlona.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Well of course level changes the dynamics of pulling.

In regards to Sky I said it sounded dreadful which it does. So you show up to Sky with just all the Mages and start petwalling. Mages can't summon new pets so every single time one of their pets dies you have to hop down, make a new one and zone back in through the AoC. If you pulled bees and basically everything else down to Island 2 you could maybe grind your way through the place but again that sounds dreadful. Pulls are going to take for fucking ever but if you run everyone up to each island the distance they'll have to travel to get back to the raid after a pet dies goes up. Does Gates wipe away island key requirements? If not you've still got key issues.

Agro range is effected by level. Social agro aka mobs assisting other mobs isn't.

Mage's can summon new pets in sky on TLP. They're just get summoned as air pets. Necros can summon pets and i believe BST can, not sure on BST though. Swarm pets can't be summoned. When they first added MoTM people were only able to beat bees by pet walling which why they made the agro changes. They also gave Sky it's own version of MoTM which adds less damage but is the same for defensive stats.

Yeah you're probably right about key issues. It'll still be easy and a big target cause mage epic pets are gonna be huge for the level 50 portion of the server.

• 1Moron

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Mage's can summon new pets in sky on TLP. They're just get summoned as air pets. Necros can summon pets and i believe BST can, not sure on BST though.

I have not been in Sky since Aradune and I don't know if a specific change was made or is automatically baked in to the release of a certain expansion but on Aradune and on previous TLPs a Magician could only summon their level 48 Air pet and Necromancers can only summon their 48 pet as well. Every other pet spell below them can not be cast.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
C'mon man you know that isn't true. I bet you even know cutoff level for a level 60 solo pulling.
For those of us who spent our EQ careers staring at floors and waiting for the Incoming message to begin our CH macros, can you explain?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
For those of us who spent our EQ careers staring at floors and waiting for the Incoming message to begin our CH macros, can you explain?

Depending on your level there's a threshold of shit you can pull where shit does not assist. It's odd how you can forget the details of shit you did a million times but I think at 60 you can always solo pull 50 and below. If you pull something higher level and everything else around it is low enough you just get the big guy. Everything else just stands around.

• 1Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In Everquest mobs are semi intelligent in combat and do not merely respond to “Hate”.

Hate meaning Threat + Damage + Healing = Hate (how most MMOs now a days work, WOW, EQ2, FF14)

They factor in things like Faction, Distance, Damage Done, Implied Damage Done, Healing Done, CC Attempts, CC Lands, etc.

Faction - What the mob thinks of you, discussed below under Social Aggro Section.

Distance - How far you are from the mob, discussed below in Proximity Aggro Section.

Damage Done - This is raw damage, be it from Melee or Spells.

Implied Damage Done - This is how much you can potentially hit for. A 2 hander that can potentially hit a mob for 200 damage but misses, generates more hate than a 2 hander that can potentially hit a mob for 100 damage but misses.

Healing Done - This is raw healing from spells / potions.

CC Attempts - This is your attempt at slowing, mezzing, stunning, rooting, etc regardless of if it lands or is resisted, it generates hate.

CC Lands - This is your successful slowing, mezzing, stunning, rooting, etc.

There are 3 types Aggro you can have when you are fighting any mob in Everquest:

• Social Aggro - “I don’t like the way this guy looks, I’mma eat him”

Social Aggro is triggered merely from your faction standing with a mob, Assuming another player doesn’t have hard aggro on that mob Faction standing being:

• Scowls at you ready to attack - Biggest aggro range from faction multiplied by the mobs con color to you. Red mobs get a higher multiplier than green mobs, gray mobs in most situations will ignore you entirely unless they are scripted to not care about their own well being.
  • Glares at you threateningly - Lowest aggro range from faction multiplied by the mobs con to you. Same rules apply with con, but there is a much lower base aggro range for this faction level.
  • Glowers at you dubiously - Not KOS, does not apply here and is the bubble of the KOS line.

• Proximity Aggro - “This A hole is really close to me and I’m kind of lazy and tired and don’t want to walk... I hate him so I’mma smack him”.

Proximity Aggro is generated by your distance from the mob. There are various distance “rings” that exist for a mob. Based on how high you are up on the aggro list, you may be able to “pull aggro” off of the tank that lost aggro to a giant nuke or a chanter pet going crazy, if he simply is not close enough.

This mechanic allows melee classes to “joust aggro” on a mob they pulled hard aggro on.

This mechanic also makes it impossible for a tank to easily pull a mob out of a group of people once it goes loose into them, even if he has hard aggro in the pile.

• Hard Aggro - “This guy is the biggest A hole here and is close to me so I’ll smack him”

Hard Aggro is your typical MMO hate mechanic (Damage Done + Implied Damage Done + Healing Done + CC Attempts + CC Lands + whatever other minor mechanics exist that generate hate = Hate)

Is MT Hate > Your Hate?

Yes? = Tank has aggro

No? = Based on how far you are from the mob and how much more your Hate is than the MT, you may have a mob beating on you.

What the no means in this situation is, Melee classes have a harder time with not pulling aggro for various reasons due merely to distance (although belly casters evens the playing field a bit on this). Melee classes are in melee range, thus they are max possible Hate from the Proximity Aggro mechanic which means they need to know what to do because they are literally only competing for Hate with Hard Aggro. Casters / Healers could also overly piss off a mob, well beyond the MT’s Hate level and not only pull aggro, but totally ruin the position of the mob. But do not worry, there are things you can do if you pay attention and react properly.

I’m a Tank or a Melee DPS and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

Well what is really cool about Everquest is that tanks have a “rescue” ability on a very short recast timer.

What this means is that pending a successful taunt, whoever lands the taunt will jump to the top of the aggro list + 2% above whatever that Hate value was. So let’s assume the Hate generated was an arbitrary number of 1000 hate. A successful taunt would put the caster (hopefully the MT) at 1020 Hate instantly, even if they were only at 600 or 700 Hate prior to taunt landing.

(For Tanks Only)

What this also means is that tanks can artificially ramp aggro off of each other in 2% increments if it is done correctly. This should only ever be done early on in the fight and only if it is coordinated or you could ruin the CH rotation and wipe the raid. If you don’t know if you should be taunting, do not taunt. The only other time you should ever press taunt without thought as a tank that is not MT, is if the mob is loose in the raid. Besides that, stay away from this button.

(For Tanks Only)

Now that I got taunt mechanics out of the way, what do you do when you pulled aggro as a tank or a melee DPS?

Well assuming you did not want the aggro (you were not saving someone squishy from dying or ramping Hate for the MT) You should simply back up 4 steps (this could be more based on how big the mob is, but just target the mob and watch him) to put yourself out of Proximity Aggro and allow the MT a few seconds to pass you on the hate list and establish more Hard Aggro than you have.

If you have backed up 4 steps and the mob moves with you, you are well beyond the MT with Hard Aggro and now can drag the mob around, drag it back to where it should be and wait a few seconds and try again. NEVER back up into the casters / healers when doing this, or you could move the mob and then lose it to proximity aggro of a caster and wipe the raid or at the very least ruin positioning.

I’m an Enchanter with a charmed pet and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

As an enchanter, your charmed pets will be doing upwards of 4 to 5x raw damage / implied damage over anyone else in the raid. On trash mobs this doesn’t matter too much, your pet will just tank and the MT can use your pet’s aggro ramp to his advantage to build Hate way over what a normal PC player can ever generate.

If you are fighting a boss though, depending on if it has the mighty buff on it, YOU will be tanking. A good enchanter knows its pets limits and is watching aggro constantly. A good MT is constantly watching for aggro changes and is timing taunt to be instant cast on the second that aggro is switched to take that aggro over and maintain position, heal priority and keep everyone safe. If you back your pet off as soon as you notice your pet’s Hard Aggro has surpassed the tank by enough to rip aggro away and make the mob come to you, you can generally avoid taking any damage because the MT will have either hit it for a bit of damage, procced a weapon or successfully taunted. In this case, wait a few seconds and send the pet back in and just watch carefully for aggro for a bit.

If the mob actually makes it to you, do not just stand still. Unlike other MMOs, we have Proximity Aggro. If you are standing in range of the mob, the tank has to actually BEAT you and your pet for Hate before it will switch back to the MT, if you back up slowly (1 - 2 steps at a time and watch the mob’s target) you can take far less damage, or maybe even no damage and get the mob back on the MT.

I’m a Ranged DPS and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

Similarly to an Enchanter with a pet… any Ranged DPS (caster or a ranger that is not eating DT’s and wants to pew pew) you should not have a problem unless you generate so much Hard Aggro that you rip the mob away from the MT… but if you do, practice the same method as above and slowly back up 2 steps at a time and watch for an aggro switch. You should never run around in large circles trying to live. You may run out of range of spot heals or drop Proximity Aggro on someone else and not the MT and get them killed. Slow steps are how you transfer aggro back safely.

I’m a Healer and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

I’m not really sure how you pulled aggro off the MT but maybe the tank got hit for 90% of his health, got stunned so couldn’t provoke or auto attack and you CHed before he swung a single weapon. In this case the pull is probably pretty messed up so you need to practice the above steps of slowly backing away until you are out of range enough for the MT to get the Hate back and then continue to back away to give him space to pull the mob back to the proper tank spot.

FOR EVERYONE

If a mob is ever loose in a raid next to you and the MT is there picking up aggro. As soon as you see he / she has aggro back, slowly back up 5 - 10 steps to allow him to pull the mob back to the proper position. This applies to Tanks, Healers, DPS both melee and ranged

The MT would have to sit in the group for 45 seconds building uncontested hate to reliably pull the mob out of the Proximity Aggro range… or you could all back up 5 - 10 steps and let him easily just walk back to the correct spot AND the mob will follow without question.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Like

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
That's the kind of unashamed gigantic super nerd you want running your 20-year-old nostalgia game, to be honest.

TO FoH Meme.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Kaines

Potato Supreme
In Everquest mobs are semi intelligent in combat and do not merely respond to “Hate”.

Hate meaning Threat + Damage + Healing = Hate (how most MMOs now a days work, WOW, EQ2, FF14)

They factor in things like Faction, Distance, Damage Done, Implied Damage Done, Healing Done, CC Attempts, CC Lands, etc.

Faction - What the mob thinks of you, discussed below under Social Aggro Section.

Distance - How far you are from the mob, discussed below in Proximity Aggro Section.

Damage Done - This is raw damage, be it from Melee or Spells.

Implied Damage Done - This is how much you can potentially hit for. A 2 hander that can potentially hit a mob for 200 damage but misses, generates more hate than a 2 hander that can potentially hit a mob for 100 damage but misses.

Healing Done - This is raw healing from spells / potions.

CC Attempts - This is your attempt at slowing, mezzing, stunning, rooting, etc regardless of if it lands or is resisted, it generates hate.

CC Lands - This is your successful slowing, mezzing, stunning, rooting, etc.

There are 3 types Aggro you can have when you are fighting any mob in Everquest:

• Social Aggro - “I don’t like the way this guy looks, I’mma eat him”

Social Aggro is triggered merely from your faction standing with a mob, Assuming another player doesn’t have hard aggro on that mob Faction standing being:

• Scowls at you ready to attack - Biggest aggro range from faction multiplied by the mobs con color to you. Red mobs get a higher multiplier than green mobs, gray mobs in most situations will ignore you entirely unless they are scripted to not care about their own well being.
  • Glares at you threateningly - Lowest aggro range from faction multiplied by the mobs con to you. Same rules apply with con, but there is a much lower base aggro range for this faction level.
  • Glowers at you dubiously - Not KOS, does not apply here and is the bubble of the KOS line.

• Proximity Aggro - “This A hole is really close to me and I’m kind of lazy and tired and don’t want to walk... I hate him so I’mma smack him”.

Proximity Aggro is generated by your distance from the mob. There are various distance “rings” that exist for a mob. Based on how high you are up on the aggro list, you may be able to “pull aggro” off of the tank that lost aggro to a giant nuke or a chanter pet going crazy, if he simply is not close enough.

This mechanic allows melee classes to “joust aggro” on a mob they pulled hard aggro on.

This mechanic also makes it impossible for a tank to easily pull a mob out of a group of people once it goes loose into them, even if he has hard aggro in the pile.

• Hard Aggro - “This guy is the biggest A hole here and is close to me so I’ll smack him”

Hard Aggro is your typical MMO hate mechanic (Damage Done + Implied Damage Done + Healing Done + CC Attempts + CC Lands + whatever other minor mechanics exist that generate hate = Hate)

Is MT Hate > Your Hate?

Yes? = Tank has aggro

No? = Based on how far you are from the mob and how much more your Hate is than the MT, you may have a mob beating on you.

What the no means in this situation is, Melee classes have a harder time with not pulling aggro for various reasons due merely to distance (although belly casters evens the playing field a bit on this). Melee classes are in melee range, thus they are max possible Hate from the Proximity Aggro mechanic which means they need to know what to do because they are literally only competing for Hate with Hard Aggro. Casters / Healers could also overly piss off a mob, well beyond the MT’s Hate level and not only pull aggro, but totally ruin the position of the mob. But do not worry, there are things you can do if you pay attention and react properly.

I’m a Tank or a Melee DPS and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

Well what is really cool about Everquest is that tanks have a “rescue” ability on a very short recast timer.

What this means is that pending a successful taunt, whoever lands the taunt will jump to the top of the aggro list + 2% above whatever that Hate value was. So let’s assume the Hate generated was an arbitrary number of 1000 hate. A successful taunt would put the caster (hopefully the MT) at 1020 Hate instantly, even if they were only at 600 or 700 Hate prior to taunt landing.

(For Tanks Only)

What this also means is that tanks can artificially ramp aggro off of each other in 2% increments if it is done correctly. This should only ever be done early on in the fight and only if it is coordinated or you could ruin the CH rotation and wipe the raid. If you don’t know if you should be taunting, do not taunt. The only other time you should ever press taunt without thought as a tank that is not MT, is if the mob is loose in the raid. Besides that, stay away from this button.

(For Tanks Only)

Now that I got taunt mechanics out of the way, what do you do when you pulled aggro as a tank or a melee DPS?

Well assuming you did not want the aggro (you were not saving someone squishy from dying or ramping Hate for the MT) You should simply back up 4 steps (this could be more based on how big the mob is, but just target the mob and watch him) to put yourself out of Proximity Aggro and allow the MT a few seconds to pass you on the hate list and establish more Hard Aggro than you have.

If you have backed up 4 steps and the mob moves with you, you are well beyond the MT with Hard Aggro and now can drag the mob around, drag it back to where it should be and wait a few seconds and try again. NEVER back up into the casters / healers when doing this, or you could move the mob and then lose it to proximity aggro of a caster and wipe the raid or at the very least ruin positioning.

I’m an Enchanter with a charmed pet and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

As an enchanter, your charmed pets will be doing upwards of 4 to 5x raw damage / implied damage over anyone else in the raid. On trash mobs this doesn’t matter too much, your pet will just tank and the MT can use your pet’s aggro ramp to his advantage to build Hate way over what a normal PC player can ever generate.

If you are fighting a boss though, depending on if it has the mighty buff on it, YOU will be tanking. A good enchanter knows its pets limits and is watching aggro constantly. A good MT is constantly watching for aggro changes and is timing taunt to be instant cast on the second that aggro is switched to take that aggro over and maintain position, heal priority and keep everyone safe. If you back your pet off as soon as you notice your pet’s Hard Aggro has surpassed the tank by enough to rip aggro away and make the mob come to you, you can generally avoid taking any damage because the MT will have either hit it for a bit of damage, procced a weapon or successfully taunted. In this case, wait a few seconds and send the pet back in and just watch carefully for aggro for a bit.

If the mob actually makes it to you, do not just stand still. Unlike other MMOs, we have Proximity Aggro. If you are standing in range of the mob, the tank has to actually BEAT you and your pet for Hate before it will switch back to the MT, if you back up slowly (1 - 2 steps at a time and watch the mob’s target) you can take far less damage, or maybe even no damage and get the mob back on the MT.

I’m a Ranged DPS and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

Similarly to an Enchanter with a pet… any Ranged DPS (caster or a ranger that is not eating DT’s and wants to pew pew) you should not have a problem unless you generate so much Hard Aggro that you rip the mob away from the MT… but if you do, practice the same method as above and slowly back up 2 steps at a time and watch for an aggro switch. You should never run around in large circles trying to live. You may run out of range of spot heals or drop Proximity Aggro on someone else and not the MT and get them killed. Slow steps are how you transfer aggro back safely.

I’m a Healer and I pulled aggro off the MT… What do I do?

I’m not really sure how you pulled aggro off the MT but maybe the tank got hit for 90% of his health, got stunned so couldn’t provoke or auto attack and you CHed before he swung a single weapon. In this case the pull is probably pretty messed up so you need to practice the above steps of slowly backing away until you are out of range enough for the MT to get the Hate back and then continue to back away to give him space to pull the mob back to the proper tank spot.

FOR EVERYONE

If a mob is ever loose in a raid next to you and the MT is there picking up aggro. As soon as you see he / she has aggro back, slowly back up 5 - 10 steps to allow him to pull the mob back to the proper position. This applies to Tanks, Healers, DPS both melee and ranged

The MT would have to sit in the group for 45 seconds building uncontested hate to reliably pull the mob out of the Proximity Aggro range… or you could all back up 5 - 10 steps and let him easily just walk back to the correct spot AND the mob will follow without question.
I wish this post had been pinned to the top of our guild's forum back when I was raiding. This is fantastic.

One question: How do summoning mobs factor into the "back away a little at a time" instructioin?

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is exactly what I have been saying all along about this season's TLP offering. The ruleset doesn't matter because Mischief was just too good. I believe that the Mischief server is going to break the mold of TLPs, and actually make it to Live with a strong population.

Mischief is literally FV 2.0 on steroids. Anybody that can not see that just doesn't want to see it.
Agree. Anecdotally, I got back into this game in 2018 when Coirnav was about to hit PoP. Played there briefly, then hopped to Mangler, then Aradune, and moonlighted on Mischief while still raiding on Aradune up until October.

I was gone from Nov-March and missed all of PoP/Ldon on Mischief. Still don't have a single PoP flag. Missing a bunch of important AA's. If Mischief was another Mangler, I would have never come back. But because of the ruleset, I can actually do shit like survive Paw and beat hard ldons. And I've been going hard the last few weeks. My desire to play on Mischief is as high as it was at launch. And have zero desire to hop to another Mangler.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
We know there are challenges for completing certain encounters at certain levels but we don't have a list of them.

View attachment 407424

Rewards that you can use on any character on the same account could be awesome. If there was a cool thing tied to clearing Sky at level 40 than that would be why you would go.

Griklor at 105 won't be too bad, he's a 115 raid but he's the lowest-tier gimme raid for 115. I'd say he's definitely beatable by geared 105's with EOK AAs (which would take weeks if not months for even hardcore people to cap out on this server due to the 101-105 AA leap).

Meldrath at 70, though...I don't see how that's doable. I last did that fight four years ago so it may have changed and YMMV: Meldrath's Mansion is a pain in the ass even with everyone at 80 and geared. Meldrath himself is a ROUGH fight without Crystallos gear (aka the first time) and I don't even think it's doable at 75 much less 70. Like not even remotely. A BIG reason for that? Tank strength. If tanks are getting one-rounded by Tactical Prototype because you let them get under-geared, then Meldrath is going to trash the whole raid. On this server at 70, they'll have had two months to farm both Solteris and TSS and gear tanks.

Well, maybe I'll be proven wrong. One interesting thing about Vaniki is that I'm sure we'll have plenty of theory crafting on here.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think 10 levels generally doubles melee and caster dps too so not only will people be under geared the tanks will need to sustain for way longer.

I think most people will be shocked at how hard/impossible the raids are and the server may not even have an active guild by TSS but we shall see I guess.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
If you left it would definitely be a morale gut punch. I mean honestly if you have a good thing going it would be hard to walk away from that. I feel i made a mistake being in GIG because i didn't make as many long term friendships that i wanted to.

I always said EQ is all about friends and playing with people, the content is just a playground.

While i did make some friends in gig the drama that surfaced occasionally from being in that type of environment often left people feeling excluded which fractured the cohesion of the people playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller dkp guilds had a lot more player retention and longer term friendships on mischief even if they didn't progress their characters even close to as fast.
It's never too late to enjoy the elf simulator with us.

Cymbaline

Trakanon Raider
I heard that the core of Amtrak are interested in vaniki whilst the rapiers have declared for Yelinak, so I know what server to avoid now but maybe I’ll just stay on mischief

• 1Fal'len
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For everyone else thinking of reporting this guy, there is nothing for us to do here. Impersonating someone who's not a member is not something we are going to police.

• 2Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users