EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

thecontagious

Golden Knight of the Realm
I heard that the core of Amtrak are interested in vaniki whilst the rapiers have declared for Yelinak, so I know what server to avoid now but maybe I’ll just stay on mischief

What a fucking loser acting like someone else. Go get fucked you douche.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For everyone else thinking of reporting this guy, there is nothing for us to do here. Impersonating someone who's not a member is not something we are going to police.

It was bad enough you were a Chargers fan, but to find out you are a officer in the Golden Rapiers….

black sails reaction s GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 4 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They really should stagger the release of these servers to max the number of people who play on them. Since they seem to like May now May and a Oct release would work well. I still think March/Sept are the optimal release months though.

hEKK

Lord Nagafen Raider
Brian the mage loves impersonations. Guy is extremely cool and hangs with the hottest dudes.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Another new player question for you guys- thanks for the help in advance and for helping with my last one.

My buddy plans to play a cleric and I'm deciding between wizard and mage. Maybe necro but less likely. We'll likely be doing mostly duo and group content (as convenient), and i don't anticipate doing much, if any, soloing.

What would the general pros and cons be for a mage vs wizard in both duo (with a cleric) and generally for groups? I know this undoubtedly changes through expansions, but I figure at least through around PoP or a bit beyond which will cover most of the first year or so.

Last edited:

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mage>Wiz. Pet is very strong for a long time and can "tank" for you duoing

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
- - Once a player is above level 40, their secondary specialization skill cap (from Secondary Forte)

Secondary Forte is a level 55 AA

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
- - Once a player is above level 40, their secondary specialization skill cap (from Secondary Forte)

Secondary Forte is a level 55 AA
Some stuff is likely unkillable on the Vaniki server without AA, so it sounds likely that they reduced the required level to start gaining and spending AA, as well as the levels required to obtain said AA.

I imagine any AA from the current expansions unlocked can be spent. There's code support to easily do that in the network layer at least, and support for custom or serversided-only AAs.

I have done it on EQEmu before, on a client from over a decade ago:

1649802178869.png

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
decaying skeletons immune to non magic weapons...

If you are right Secrets that does make Vaniki start to appear more interesting. i will definitely make a ranger if they allow endless quiver and AM3 at lvl 40, archery has some wonky rules in how its mitigated by npc defense so should be good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
decaying skeletons immune to non magic weapons...

Mages will be in high demand. Also, if Vaniki starts in GoD, you can go to the bazaar and get the focus items day 1, too.

Bards can get the magic song early, too.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
allowing aa earlier, and being able to use gear that has a higher level requirement. Both these mitigate the lower level along with making spells more likely to hit. So what's the challenge again ?

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
allowing aa earlier, and being able to use gear that has a higher level requirement. Both these mitigate the lower level along with making spells more likely to hit. So what's the challenge again ?

Less AC, HP, Mana, ATK, Accuracy, Avoidance, lots of spells scale with level so even if you can cast them at lower level it will still be less useful. It's still also unclear if that's what they're doing.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
10 levels is a ton in terms of attack caps, mana pool, AC soft caps is still a huge barrier. Sloppy heal chains and half the DPS afk is not going to cut it if you want to kill any raid mob 10 levels under cap even with some changes to make it a bit easier.

My biggest concern is the DPS balance is still pretty bad but we really just don't know because it is so unique. I think one of the biggest issues is going to be DPS's ability to drop agro because tank agro is going to be absolute garbage. That is likely going to make monk, necro and ranger (if they allow all archery AA regardless of level) really good initially. Bard is also potentially going to be really great because one resists will be even more paramount and two by the 75 era their AA dps is getting really good.

Last edited:

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats the point of having level caps if you lower AA and or gear levels? If the goal is to make things harder then why artificially limit one while lowering another? Why not just remove all AAs from the server and don't have a level cap?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Whats the point of having level caps if you lower AA and or gear levels? If the goal is to make things harder then why artificially limit one while lowering another? Why not just remove all AAs from the server and don't have a level cap?
removing AA would mean you can never really merge with live and it also would remove a ton of content. Letting you get AA lower level solves that, 10 weeks to get to 55 is alot more tolerable if you have AA to get. Then 8 more weeks at 60.

Without even more tweaks than we are talking about most raids will be straight up impossible anyway. Rathe council for example requires a lvl 64 mez. If you have ever leveled chardok from 50-60 you understand tanks mitigation purely from levels is night and day. It is entirely possible that even with AA restrictions removed that a ton of content is just straight up impossible in the era it unlocks.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
removing AA would mean you can never really merge with live and it also would remove a ton of content. Letting you get AA lower level solves that, 10 weeks to get to 55 is alot more tolerable if you have AA to get. Then 8 more weeks at 60.

Without even more tweaks than we are talking about most raids will be straight up impossible anyway. Rathe council for example requires a lvl 64 mez. If you have ever leveled chardok from 50-60 you understand tanks mitigation purely from levels is night and day. It is entirely possible that even with AA restrictions removed that a ton of content is just straight up impossible in the era it unlocks.
Remember, too, that a lot of mitigation / avoidance is gone without having higher defense, offense, weaponskill, etc skillcaps. Defensive/Furious discipline, for instance, simply won't exist prior to 55/60 cap, so you'll be doing a lot of this content with knights tanking due to shields giving overcap AC (which is in short supply at 40, and considerably lower than 60 AC softcap)

All of those factors make the content impossible without mitigation/avoidance/ND AAs at bare minimum, and like others have said here, I don't think GoD will be doable, and later PoP zones will likely be impossible as well. Rathe Council cannot be mezzed with 40 spells so it'll have to be kited with 40 Selo's, you're too low level for Song of Travel, Selo's Accelerating Chorus, bard resists songs will give lower values, no circle resists, no KEI or even C2, shamans need to individually buff as you'll be too low for IOS, etc - it'll be fun to see how folks devise solutions to problematic bosses.

We also don't know if MOTM will be on this server for /all/ content or not. I imagine so, which will basically result in a lot of mobs with AOEs one shotting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user