EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What are some of the changes to classes over the years?

Have there been any breakout roles due to new abilities? FD split-pulling etc

Have necromancers returned to being jack trades or are they still dots, in the sub 52 game they could do just about everything.

You need to be a lot more specific on what time frame you're talking about here

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably both, plus Mischief still drawing great numbers entering Omens. According to EQresource, over the last week Vaniki has been hitting low pop about 50% of the time. Doesn't seem great for a server that's been live for 10 days.

Vaniki was doomed to failure really. People "claim" they want hardcore but in reality they dont. The reason is always we want hard but not that kind of "hard". Remember Manglers original ruleset?

The reason FV, Random, Bonus loot is so popular is because its the easiest most casual server to date.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Novelty of Vaniki wearing off or people just can't resist that sweet sweet classicTLP?

Doubt it's the classic TLP being too alluring as much as the retarded level 40 cap makes you run out of worthwhile things to do in record time.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Vaniki would have been a lot more successful if it launched in classic or even Kunark.

We know there is an appetite for “oldschool” challenge because P99 hits like 2k players, or more during “launch”. Darkpaw just needs to offer a real classic option without a bunch of bullshit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hate to say i told you so but i told you so.

It's not even the idea of level locking, like zaide said they just really dropped the ball on vaniki the way they did it, they are still trying to nudge players into the oow+ expansions and the level locks don't make any sense for the content.

Now yelinak is a lackluster server without the good players to make it interesting.

The fly by night streamers got their launch views and are gone.

Nobody is really happy with either servers rulesets and it's disappointing.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Being level 40 for a month is kinda shitty, double loot was broken at the start (and you can still find NPCs that haven't been killed yet and still have single loot), zone level restrictions were broken, zone level restrictions for at least the Plane of Growth instance are still broken, the challenges are almost nonsensical.

It's baffling that the only challenge for level forty Classic is killing Velious era MotM Cazic Thule in revamped Fear with no Kunark challenge at all, only Yelinak for Velious and no Luclin anything.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I hate to say i told you so but i told you so.

It's not even the idea of level locking, like zaide said they just really dropped the ball on vaniki the way they did it, they are still trying to nudge players into the oow+ expansions and the level locks don't make any sense for the content.

Now yelinak is a lackluster server without the good players to make it interesting.

The fly by night streamers got their launch views and are gone.

Nobody is really happy with either servers rulesets and it's disappointing.
Tons of people are happy with Yelinak. It's just the hardcore OW Batphone recyclers that don't have a home. Casual DZ recyclers are doing their thing.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just do the same ruleset as Mischief but add in the Starter zone and Mercs from level 1.

Done.

I would have gladly played that server and might have even stayed on it for a descent amount of time.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I normally enjoy alot of pug scene hilarity on new servers, but I haven't lfgd at all this time. I got one fun group sort of by accident in mistmoore but I'm guessing pugs are not common.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tons of people are happy with Yelinak. It's just the hardcore OW Batphone recyclers that don't have a home. Casual DZ recyclers are doing their thing.

Yeah, sure. With 1 DZ being available so far since launch. Most quit by the end of the first month, you've got 2 weeks and we'll see how "happy" everyone is.

The most successful TLP in fucking history(mischief) and they dont use anything from it. AladainAF AladainAF needs to buy this shit studio.

Did you know it's LGBTQ+ month in Norrath? Dont forget to buy your rainbow fag familiars to show how woke you are when you wipe to naggy for the 11th time.

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Just do the same ruleset as Mischief but add in the Starter zone and Mercs from level 1.

Done.

I would have gladly played that server and might have even stayed on it for a descent amount of time.
A mercs at start server does seem like an obvious option they could do that would be successful. One problem is that they're so strong pre-70, which I'm sure DPG doesn't like the idea of.

• 1Truth!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I love the little cute but subtly horrifying bunnies :D

They will pounce on the hometown rodents that are running around in all the starter cities.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Vaniki would have been a lot more successful if it launched in classic or even Kunark.

We know there is an appetite for “oldschool” challenge because P99 hits like 2k players, or more during “launch”. Darkpaw just needs to offer a real classic option without a bunch of bullshit.
They need a truly classic fork similar to wow classic. Classic zones, no motm, etc.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

That could be successful but there's zero chance they'd put the resources needed into it. At this point, they'd have to partner with P99 to get it right.

With WoW I think it was way easier because they still had most of the code and data from back then, afaik.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need a truly classic fork similar to wow classic. Classic zones, no motm, etc.

Wasnt that basically what LJ and RF and previous were? When someone with enough mages could kill it all by themself. Or god forbid the previous HT wars. And no DZs.

I don't think things like original FP or nro/oasis/commons will change all that much.

DickTrickle

Wasnt that basically what LJ and RF and previous were? When someone with enough mages could kill it all by themself. Or god forbid the previous HT wars. And no DZs.

I don't think things like original FP or nro/oasis/commons will change all that much.

It was still using xp and combat tables and whatever else from live (and still mostly does). It's still a lot different. So those classes were more powerful than they would have been.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That could be successful but there's zero chance they'd put the resources needed into it. At this point, they'd have to partner with P99 to get it right.

With WoW I think it was way easier because they still had most of the code and data from back then, afaik.
Prathun said they have the old database circa PoP launch but they decided not to use it because "Players wouldn't actually like it"

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What are some of the changes to classes over the years?

Have there been any breakout roles due to new abilities? FD split-pulling etc

Have necromancers returned to being jack trades or are they still dots, in the sub 52 game they could do just about everything.

Enchanters/charm rule the day right up through GoD. Post-GoD they decline a lot in power. So you see a ton of chanters early, then the number drops off sharply between the decline and also all the new chanters realizing how high-maintenance and "difficult" the class actually is. Yeah they can roll things but it requires a substantial amount of effort.

Monks are the other big DPS meta, especially once they have the 1.0. Their DPS dominance continues well past GoD. Though they can't solo like chanters can early-on.

Around OoW, melee/tank classes that are raid geared start to be able to solo really quickly and effectively, to the point that they outclass casters. IIRC some time during the level 70 era I realized that my Zerker (not even a tank class) could tank and solo much better than the charm pets of the era could.

As for breakout roles...aside from chanter being way more integral to group composition (classic through GoD) than they used to be, I can't think of much.

Being level 40 for a month is kinda shitty, double loot was broken at the start (and you can still find NPCs that haven't been killed yet and still have single loot), zone level restrictions were broken, zone level restrictions for at least the Plane of Growth instance are still broken, the challenges are almost nonsensical.

It's baffling that the only challenge for level forty Classic is killing Velious era MotM Cazic Thule in revamped Fear with no Kunark challenge at all, only Yelinak for Velious and no Luclin anything.

It kinda sucks for me that Vaniki isn't doing well, because I made a pretty huge effort with it since launch to deck out for an actual run (as opposed to my usual "do first couple launches and then get busy with RL")

Like I can actually do this one for a few months but it's not looking promising for a long-haul server. I'm thinking there's a high likelihood that the pop will go up a lot more next month though. The 50 raise followed shortly after by 55 and 60, with AAs available at 55, are gonna give people a lot more to keep them engaged.

Having the cap sit at 40 for a month with one target to kill was kind of idiotic. Should have been a 45 raise halfway through it, along with a "Defeat Klandicar" cheevo or something.

And as has been pointed out a zillion times already, more achievements would have made a big difference in interest. Something for Kunark (at 50), something for Luclin (at 50), etc. More illusions or titles. Just like, anything.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Prathun said they have the old database circa PoP launch but they decided not to use it because "Players wouldn't actually like it"
I mean, I don't think that's probably wrong on the whole, but rolling out a "true" classic server every two years or something could be pretty successful. All TLPs being like that would probably be a net negative, though.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A mercs at start server does seem like an obvious option they could do that would be successful. One problem is that they're so strong pre-70, which I'm sure DPG doesn't like the idea of.

Yeah, pre-70 mercs would be way too OP and completely trivialize the server. Nobody would group.

I love the little cute but subtly horrifying bunnies :D

They will pounce on the hometown rodents that are running around in all the starter cities.

You're way too good-hearted for this place. Never change