EQMac Now Free to Play

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zithax

Molten Core Raider
Thanks Neranja. So anybody got some gear to give away? Got a 7war/6clr atm (Zithaxx/Zithez) all naked and such.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
7. Download dxtory fromhttp://dxtory.com/v2-download-en.html. This is a fraps-like program that has an option to limit the frame rate games run at. The reason why you need this is because EQ will run at many hundreds of frames per second, which is not only a waste of computer resources, but also screws up your mouselook speed. (one axis will be very fast, the other too slow) Click the 'Advanced' tab, check 'Limit Video FPS' and set it to 60. Nvidia card owners can probably use their driver's frame limiter option instead, or other programs such as MSI Afterburner will work.
So using dxtory completely fixes the legendary mouse look issue on the EQMac server?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I wouldn't say completely fixes. It's better, but not perfect. At least in my experience.

Mascha

Trakanon Raider
Sorry for the stupid question, but I followed Torrid's advice step by step, but I could not log into the MAC server. Error message "Error 0009 Login Server did not respond.\nPlease try again.\n".

When I tried to copy the resource folder from the EQMac download into the C:\EQMac folder, my virus scanner reported: "Found TR/Agent.44544.47 in wsock32.dll". Could that have something to do with it?

System: Windows 7, 64bit, german settings.

Thanks!

Edit: In the file EQhost I found these entrees:
[Registration Servers]
{
"eqlogin4.989studios.com:6999"
}
[Login Servers]
{
"eqlogin4.989studios.com:16900"
"eqlogin4.989studios.com:16901"
"eqlogin4.989studios.com:16902"
"eqlogin4.989studios.com:16903"
}

That can't be correct? Does Sony still work with login servers named after 989 Studios? I think this was the first EQ company, even before Verant?

Silver Knight of the Realm
This shit still holds up bros. I only play occasionally but the community is generally pleasant to deal with and PoP-era EQ is solid.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
my virus scanner reported: "Found TR/Agent.44544.47 in wsock32.dll". Could that have something to do with it?
Yes, most likely. Your antivirus is probably blocking the hack from working. Secrets (the hack developer) altered functions in the wsock32.dll in EQMac folder. The game is to use that version of the file instead of the one in your Windows\System32 directory, and your antivirus doesn't like any file with that name being altered. Either disable your antivirus, or configure it to ignore this file. (if possible)

No other programs will try to use this modified wsock32.dll, btw, since it's in your EQMac directory. For the curious, Secrets explains what the modifications arehere

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That can't be correct? Does Sony still work with login servers named after 989 Studios? I think this was the first EQ company, even before Verant?
It's far easier to maintain a domain active (no change to anything, pay 8$ per year or so) than to try to switch the servers to a new domain, and THEN have to track every reference to it (especially if you obfuscated them to make it harder for people to develop emus - which I don't think they did, but they could) in mostly undocumented code for which all original programmers left the company years ago.

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
So using dxtory completely fixes the legendary mouse look issue on the EQMac server?
I'd recommend MSI Afterburner, the configuration options are better. You dont get that annoying pop up telling you that Dxtory isn't free with a popup window making you wait 10 seconds unlike MSI Afterburner that just allows you to use it.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Bragon, bro... You're not going to get anywhere with Faite. Dude is off his nut.
I know ... i know, i just don't even know why i do this.
On a separate note: Hobart is rolling in a ton of fixes right now, he's been re assigned to EQmac to fix broken shit, spells, AAs and zones.

Yeah, I seent that bro. Exciting times. Been too lazy to play my new two-box team lately. Also, if anybody needs some plat'nums I've got you. Post here or PM or something and I can arrange to meet up with you.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
001001102 I'm on there, name is Barffer 43 Ogre Warrior, spent some time chatting with Bragon last night. The server has a low population, so trying to group can become frustrating at times, also it's not really like PC EQ, it's very polite, and everyone leveling up goes from FoB, to Kurns, to Paludal Caverns, to HHK forever.

Random people will hook you up with some gear if you just say your new to the server in alliance, people are always MGB'ing buffs that make leveling easier, it's pretty chill and no real dicks. Hit me up if anyone is grinding out levels.

Yeah it's pretty nice bro. I've got a 65 that I've abandoned and a swarm of low-mid 30s characters that I've been dicking around with.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I got annoyed because of instead of grouping everyone boxed

not everyone but ya its a problem. if i ever play eq again this will be the only platform worthy of my presence. never again will i invest my time playing on eq emus.

edit: bah I lied, I'll give EQC a chance if it ever comes to be.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I'd play eqmac if you want to sam, not doing it solo again though.

Shuuhei_sl

shitlord
I'd play eqmac if you want to sam, not doing it solo again though.
Amen to that Swag. My EQ career started as a wizard who I played for 8 years solo / duo'ed with my girlfriend (who played a druid). It was fun to be able to kite almost anything with huge crits, but I rerolled a warrior 2 days ago hoping to be able to form some solid groups. Not guild groups mind you, just comprised of friendly people who you could just group with and know they are capable. Seems Al'kabor has a low tank population so hopefully this works out.

I have absolutely 0 desire to box because back before I quit in 2008 I was boxing a wizard, bard, enchanter, paladin, and buffbot cleric. It turned into work instead of being a game I enjoyed playing. The autonomy was great, but there was no connection with anyone. Kinda like how a lot of the current crop of MMOs are today.

On a side note I am thankful that this version of the game stopped at PoPower as I considering it one of the two most solid MMO expansions I've ever played. I miss the difficulty of Gates of Discord, but that is for another discussion. Playing EQmac on a PC isn't to bad, but I have a spare hard drive that I'm considering putting osx 10.8 on just so I can play EQmac "properly" and have a working trader window.

P.S.
/rant on
The al'kabor economy sucks and makes it impossible for new players to get any type of player sold gear. I'm still running around with the starting sword completely naked outside of the newbie tunic at level 10.

ismaris

I know ... i know, i just don't even know why i do this.
On a separate note: Hobart is rolling in a ton of fixes right now, he's been re assigned to EQmac to fix broken shit, spells, AAs and zones.
Does this mean burning affliction?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I would play with you all but alas I am in the european timezone. And I am still wondering if it's worth all the work to set up a 4box team. Wanted to play a bard as a main, but when boxing I would just let him be a glorious mana battery, which feels like a waste somehow.