EQN:L Design Concept Thread

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Thought it would be fun to start a thread showcasing preliminary ideas we are working on for Landmark creations. Drawings, write ups, etc.

I'll start:

Starting a weird little design doc for my first project in EQN:L. Making a 'hobbit hole' as an ode to my first EQ main. Started drawings and floor plans etc, but wanted something to direct my 'feeling' of how it should look. Any critique or atmospheric ideas are welcome. I'll just post the first little bit for now, if people like it ill post more. If it's mega gay, which I suspect, I won't.

I'm not a great writer, so bear with me:

Steelskin Manor

A gnarled oak atop a grassy green hill. The glowing face of the sun rises behind, casting fingers of light through the ancient branches. A secret bursting at the old tree's lips.

Below, a worn brick path winds to the base of the hill where the bulge meets the land. Moss clings to stone surrounding a round wooden portal, just too small for a man, and lazy wildflowers loll around the edges. The scent of herbs and smoke clings to the wetness of the morning air. The door's handle a polished, shining brass.

Inside, a long expanse, grander than expected, yet modest and warm. The earth mingles with the plaster of the walls. The surfaces are round and seem to flow into each other without a hint of sharpness. In the centre, a thick braid of twisted oak roots plunges downward, the upper arms twisting in a web of living beams, supporting the ceiling and forming the bones of the room.

The floor is gleaming wood, adorned with deeply auburn carpets. On the far side there is a large window shouldered by stained glass, that lets in all the glory of the sunrise and fills the room with colour. Trinkets of string, nuts, glass, gems, and metals dangle from the ceiling by lengths of twine, and cast dancing fire on every surface. The morning light shines on a small sitting area with mismatched high backed chairs and a long well-worn sofa, where the walls are lined with shelves of nicknacks and keepsakes. Memories of a long life of travel.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I thought we were going to get a sketch this time.

Main critique: Steelskin doesn't fit with hobbits IMHO. I just get HoMM2 flashbacks. Hobbits are more like: Rumfeather Hall or Puddington Manor or Whisperfoot Hold.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I thought we were going to get a sketch this time.

Main critique: Steelskin doesn't fit with hobbits IMHO. I just get HoMM2 flashbacks. Hobbits are more like: Rumfeather Hall or Puddington Manor or Whisperfoot Hold.
Ya, that was just my first Halfling's surname. Thinking of changing it to something more appropriate. His name was Wumple.

I'll upload some sketches when I'm happy with them - not the greatest drawer. Much better at working in 3 dimensions (sculpting, carving etc)

Going to focus on just building a nice little villa. Swimming pool, garden, house, guest house, bath house, sun house.. etc. EQL will be treated like Second-Life to me.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
If I can get the guys from the last Minecraft mega project to help out, I was thinking it would be cool to do some kind of Shissar Temple. (was thinking Ice and Bone look) although ice and snakes may not go together.. I dunno. The last minecraft project I think McFly said was around 11 million blocks so taking that kind of scale to Landmark would be awesome.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yes you can once the owner sets you up as someone with edit rights. (kinda like housing was in eq2 I believe)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Do we know if we'll be able to assist each other in building on a plot owned by just one individual?
Yep, it's part of the whole permissions system they were talking about.

I figure I might try my hand at some of the stuff SOE will be releasing concept art for, and beyond that I'll be building me a mage tower to eventually use as my main's home in EQN.

moreso EQN related versus Landmark, but do we know if player built structures will be as destructible as the house we saw the iron golem destroy?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'd certainly hope so.

I'm down for whatever rerolled building mega projects you guys wanna do.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
moreso EQN related versus Landmark, but do we know if player built structures will be as destructible as the house we saw the iron golem destroy?
So far, what they've said is that they will be; again, if you give someone the proper permissions. If you don't give anyone high enough permission to nuke your house, then it's safe.

I imagine those limitations will be further loosened up in PvP situations.