EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Honestly landmark with some work could be a fun niche game. Being able to make your own dungeons in basically an MMO for people to explore and have fun with could be a pretty neat concept if they can make it work. Back when I was dinking around with this more I had actually made nearly full copy of the old EQ1 befallen dungeon. I did not quite have enough claims to finish some of the really deep parts of it but the upper stuff was looking really good.
Tying monster events into the linking/triggering system already makes for some interesting scripting mechanics. It sounds like they are working on NPC dialogue as well.

I'm really surprised that they're even working on the game again much less how large of an update it's receiving. They must have decided to cancel EQN a while back and been working on Landmark full-time ever since.

It's way too hopeful to ask for from Daybreak, but if they actually put the time and effort into continuing Landmark development, they could really have something interesting on their hands.

The challenge right now (and really how it's always been) is that Landmark lacks any kind of sense of progression for adventurers. They had a few systems in place in the beginning that forced you to grind mats for a week to get all the tools you needed to build, but it was obviously a shitty idea for a game centered around building, at the time.

And, while EQN was cancelled.. I can't help but wonder if they have any future plans for the Landmark engine. Like if it's fully invested into for the next year or two.. would it be something they could make a larger scale game from then? It's basically a giant test-bed for them, so it'll be interesting to see how much they actually invest in updating it.

Then again, it's entirely possible the game launches and the entire team is immediately fired. But this substantial update has me wondering why they are even adding more in the first place. They could have easily shit it out and called it done and be done with it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the sense of adventurer progression is what the whole chaos cavern thing they are doing is for. They look like they are a bit more preconfigured cave types with some big set piece rooms to explore/fight through. Less of the randomly generated maze caves that it used to have. They were interesting to explore but holy crap were they confusing to find your way around in and hard to setup any kind of adventure in.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Landmark has a lot of great ideas but a lot of half-assed implementations. They could still turn it into a fun game, but I feel like each individual element is only 50% of what it should be. Above all though the game needs its dogshit performance fixed.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think that is one reason for reworking the cave system. The depth of each island/landscape whatever they are calling them combined with the system not being great at only working on shit you can actually see currently really kicked performance in the nuts.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure it's possible for this company to get any worse at this point. What a shitty couple years.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Eh, they just pushed out a bunch of major systems and clearly stated things will be broken. This "review" barely reviewed any of the actual stuff that was added, just sulking about bugs and not having more character customization.

The chaos caverns sound like they need work to be more interesting, which I'm not surprised; I hope they have plans to expand the adventuring side post launch but we'll see.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, they just pushed out a bunch of major systems and clearly stated things will be broken. This "review" barely reviewed any of the actual stuff that was added, just sulking about bugs and not having more character customization.

The chaos caverns sound like they need work to be more interesting, which I'm not surprised; I hope they have plans to expand the adventuring side post launch but we'll see.
Maybe b/c I don't follow EQL so much, but why is this ok? If shit is broken, shouldn't they get it fixed before pushing it out the door instead of saying we know it's broken so here you go anyway...

Elidroth_sl

shitlord

Since when is knowingly pushing out broken shit ok?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Maybe b/c I don't follow EQL so much, but why is this ok? If shit is broken, shouldn't they get it fixed before pushing it out the door instead of saying we know it's broken so here you go anyway...
It's pretty clear Daybreak is woefully incompetent at this point. On top of that they hire an EA exec to run shit. lol.

Caliane

Still early release/beta.

that said, the actual release is "soon". so no one, including the reviewer thinks the actual release version will be ready for use.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's really doesn't change anything. They released a patch with a disclaimer that it's broken? If I'm understanding this properly. That's crazy.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I don't think they knew it was woefully broken; just that it would require some testing and feedback. Given it's still Beta I don't think it's unreasonable to expect bugs. Obviously it sounds like there were some big ones that they've been working on since the patch. Not sure what else to say? They need to get their shit together because obviously this won't fly during live but it IS still beta.

Toony

Molten Core Raider
This game was barely fun before, they choked the fucking last bit of that out with this patch. DBG are their own worst enemies.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sorry for the necro but I need help!

I was a fool and paid $100 for this 2 year ago, I had very high hopes! I did enjoy the game a bit and gave out like 4 or 5 passes, so it was not a total loss. Anyway, look at the pic below...should I submit to have my name on the credits? Should I give them a fake name like Alex Afrasiabi? What should a bro do? Help me Rerolled, you are my only hope.

rrr_img_135128.jpg