Ethernet over power lines

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ordered this last week:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rrr_img_41133.jpg

My current setup at home has my cable modem + wireless router in our finished basement where my main gaming PC is(ethernet wired), as well as our primary entertainment center(XB360, Roku, DirecTV(all all wired via Ethernet). Our living room is on the floor immediately above, and that is where we generally stream content wirelessly, whether on a tablet, my Chromecast, or my wife's laptop.

I've always had the occasional hiccup when streaming video upstairs in our living room, so I was looking for a solution for getting my wireless router upstairs into the living room, and running an ethernet cable from the modem in the basement wasn't an option, the ceiling in the basement is completely finished/drywalled, and I didn't want to drill through it.

I have 50 Mbps cable service through Time Warner cable, and I actually generally get that full bandwith, here's a typical bandwith test at my home for the wired devices:
user10956_123.png

After testing my wifi downstairs in the same room as my wireless router, I was generally getting about 35-40Mbps on our tablets as well as the laptop. Going upstairs to our living room and running the same speed tests, these speeds dropped by about 10-15Mbps having to go through the floor/ceiling with the signal. 20-30Mbps was still decent, but I figured I could improve things a bit if the router was in the same room.

Well, sending any traffic that was sent/received via these powerline adapters immediately cut all my bandwith down to about 10-15mbps, much slower than my former wireless signal travelling through the floor. To be fair, I do live in an older home(built in the late 60s) and the wiring is all original, and the Belkin website did warn that your bandwith would be very dependent on both the quality of your wiring, and how many devices are currently using electricity in your home(and in mine, there are a TON, I'm a bit of an electronics junkie), so I'm sure my home is not "ideal" circumstances for powerline adapters, but I was still shocked that they advertised a theoretical max of 500Mbps and I couldn't get more than 15Mbps. I can't imagine under what real-world conditions they ever got 500Mbps transfer rates out of these things. Maybe it was over a 1-foot long wire with no other electrical usage on it? Who knows.

So basically, I think the devices would generally work pretty well for anyone that has lower-end broadband in their home, if you only have a 10Mbps or 15Mbps cable/DSL connection, then you would probably be able to stay maxed out on your bandwith using the powerline adapters, but for anyone that has higher-end connections(or god forbid Fiber), you will be sorely disappointed at their performance. In the instance of someone with 50+ Mbps, these would really only be of use if you need to reach an area of your home that just absolutely can't get a wireless signal from your router. I'd also assume that using multiple wireless routers/repeaters throughout your home would give much better performance for anyone with high-end broadband.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What are you doing that 20-30 MBPS isn't sufficient?

Thanks for the review though, I finally wound up just running a cat5 cable through the basement and into a hub behind the TV that all my shit is plugged into. It works great, glad I didn't spring for the powerline gizmos.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What are you doing that 20-30 MBPS isn't sufficient?
That's the thing, you'd think 20-30 Mbps would be plenty sufficient, but fairly often when I'm streaming 720p video wirelessly, I'll get a pause to buffer a couple times per movie. Generally only lasts a few seconds, but it's annoying regardless. 1080p is obviously right out, it has to buffer WAY too much.

It could have more to do with other traffic on my network as well, I have a TON of wireless electronic devices in my home (a dropcam that constantly streams via wifi, couple smartphones, 3 tablets, a laptop, etc). It could just be something to where several of them decide to download some updates or whatever while I'm watching a movie an make it hiccup for a moment, so I was trying to squeeze out all the possible bandwith I could to prevent that from happening in the future.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't worry, 802.11ac will fix it. And if that doesn't, the next draft will. And if that doesn't, the next draft will.

What's the transmitter and receiver count on the devices you're streaming? Kind of a shame that most devices with built-in 802.11n only have 1t1r. Is at least one more r that much more space?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, can't wait to re-purchase all the phones and tablets once 802.11ac becomes available in more devices, lol.

I do most of my streaming/Chromecast stuff via my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and Google Nexus 7(original, not 2nd gen) tablet. I really could use ac though, I just have a ton of stuff on my home network. Last time I checked my routers settings, I had 12 devices connected to my home network (7 wireless, 5 wired) simultaneously. Even though I'm obviously not using all of them at the same time, they do all stay on constantly, and a lot of them do stay in use.

It's not uncommon for me to be online gaming on my wired PC, while my phone/tablet sits on my desk with my dropcam feed(it's our baby camera, watching the kiddos crib), while my wife is upstairs on her laptop/tablet streaming some movie/TV show while her phone is also streaming the dropcam feed. Chews up a lot of bandwith.

Even with a good router and fast internet connection, I could definitely use more bandwith. Can't wait for Google Fiber, it's been announced for my area here in KC, but we're WAY down the list of announced areas. Probably looking at 2015-2016 for Google Fiber access at the earliest :/

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't worry, 802.11ac will fix it. And if that doesn't, the next draft will. And if that doesn't, the next draft will.

What's the transmitter and receiver count on the devices you're streaming? Kind of a shame that most devices with built-in 802.11n only have 1t1r. Is at least one more r that much more space?
It looks like 802.11ac will really fix this issue, finally. We have been streaming stuff from our basement media server to our upstairs PS3 for years, 480p content worked with the PS3 build in wifi but anything higher res was too choppy. We used Mocha (powerline but over coax) and will be switching to a 802.11ac bridge starting tomorrow. I think it is really stupid that the new PS4 specs don't include 802.11ac wifi.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't worry, 4k streaming will break 802.11ac. Don't you know that's why 4k TVs were made?

More seriously, I've never had issues streaming 720p over 802.11n to my Boxee, which I'm pretty sure is 1t1r. Never had two baby cams going at once though. It definitely can't handle 1080i/p, but I think those formats are too big for longterm storage, so I rarely download them.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
The reason some 720 files stream ok while other do not is the audio stream (depends on how it was ripped/encoded). In a majority of cases audio will take much more bandwidth than the video.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I played with some cheapozyxels(~50$) and I was getting 80-85 mbps (theoretically it tops out at 500mbps but they come with 100 mbps ethernet). But that was in a pretty new house (less than 10 years).

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I set one up in my Mom's house for her boxee. She has been quite happy with it.
smile.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you own a house and you want to stream high def it's worth the effort to string ethernet IMO, at least to your entertainment center and every desk. I ran ethernet to my bedroom (xbox), the living room (HTPC, Smart TV, PS3), my basement work bench where I work on computers, and of course to the office where the modem is. I put it off for 3 years and it took me like 3 hours to do it. It's not hard if you have an unfinished basement and/or access to the attic. It doesn't help with the phones and tablets obviously, but wireless is always going to be a pain in the ass, especially inside a building and if you have cat 5 all over the house it's easy to add another access point to help with your mobile devices.

Also, what resolution is that baby cam and if it's HD, why? You surely don't need to see the baby in HD all the time.