Europa Universalis IV

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I been in africa a while and its been busy once I got back, so haven't had much chance. TBH probably wont have the time to sit and play a game until after christmas, but I'm sure ill be back at it eventually.

Catching flagships is definitely lol when you are a naval super power, too bad they become just regular boats though. It'd be neat if they kept at least a little of their buff.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Reinstalled this today, it has been 7-8 years since I last played. I am getting a message saying I cannot earn steam achievements during this session. I found some guide that told me to clear my download cache and verify the integrity of the game files. It also says to delete any and all mods. This is a fresh install as EU4 has never been played on this PC, not to mention I never modded EU4 in the past on other PCs. None of this worked. No achievements isn;t the end of the world, but I would prefer them on. Anyone have any advice?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Oh, has it always been that way?

If yes, I obviously forgot because it has been a while.

Thanks Dude!
Yes. However you can still save scum if you copy saves into a separate folder as you go. Just be sure to wipe out both the current save and the backup if you want to copy back into the main save folder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Been playing this game a lot still; I've even put BG3 on pause to go back to play some campaigns here. It just really scratches an itch I guess. I've had a max Cav Combat Ability run with Sich Rada that was absolutely broken -- I've never had a military force that strong. I could take a military like France at a 3:1 to ratio. The stack wipes were endless; very satisfying.

I'm currently doing a Provence run with the aim of maxing my Diplo Annex cost reduction as well as having some fun with the Emperorship. It's been a fun time since I often avoid early game HRE stuff. That's led me to fight with the major colonizers as a source of expansion. Below is a large chunk of the new world in 1593 and it looks quite a bit different than it usually does!

die colonists2.jpg

Denmark, Brittany, Mamluks and Castille are the main colonizers. England has a tiny 6 province colony. Portugal and France have nothing. Castille actually has a decently sized Brazil and a tiny La Plata but that's about it -- pretty impressive since he's down to about six mainland provinces. All of this without me directly touching their colonial land or colonizing myself. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a hundred years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this game a lot still; I've even put BG3 on pause to go back to play some campaigns here. It just really scratches an itch I guess. I've had a max Cav Combat Ability run with Sich Rada that was absolutely broken -- I've never had a military force that strong. I could take a military like France at a 3:1 to ratio. The stack wipes were endless; very satisfying.

I'm currently doing a Provence run with the aim of maxing my Diplo Annex cost reduction as well as having some fun with the Emperorship. It's been a fun time since I often avoid early game HRE stuff. That's led me to fight with the major colonizers as a source of expansion. Below is a large chunk of the new world in 1593 and it looks quite a bit different than it usually does!

View attachment 514553

Denmark, Brittany, Mamluks and Castille are the main colonizers. England has a tiny 6 province colony. Portugal and France have nothing. Castille actually has a decently sized Brazil and a tiny La Plata but that's about it -- pretty impressive since he's down to about six mainland provinces. All of this without me directly touching their colonial land or colonizing myself. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a hundred years.
Portugal not colonizing is weird, I guess they got pu/vassalized early? I see it happen every now and then.

DickTrickle

Portugal not colonizing is weird, I guess they got pu/vassalized early? I see it happen every now and then.
Nope, it's actually been a free country for the entirety of the run. It's true that if you hit vassalize early they won't choose Exploration, but they definitely have it and Expansion. I think it's because they've been in terrible financial straits the entire game because they were allied to Castille, England and various shifting other allies so they'd get their money swiped every time I attacked those other countries. I did end up taking some land, but not until about 40ish years ago (when I took their lone colonial province, the one in Cuba, which I only did so their capital wouldn't go over there). But yeah, that nearly empty Cuba is the the most amusing part of this for me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Real shame they raised the subscription price. By itself, still cheap. In context of knowing they're going to continue pumping out DLC that raises the overall cost of full ownership, leaves a bad taste.

Is there a historical map-painting alternative?

DickTrickle

Yeah, they should really consider releasing bundles that include everything but the last three or four expansions so that you could always get into the game all the way for 60 or $80 at most. But they've done this model for so long I don't think they're ever going to change. The increase in the subscription is really shitty.

I don't think there's any alternative that comes anywhere near to the fun and features as EU4 so I guess that monopoly is why they act the way they do.