Eve Mobile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Shoutout to Borzak Borzak for mentioning this in the Eve Online thread.

Eve is going mobile, and open alpha starts 12/2. Currently titled Eve Echo, its already on the app store for DL.

I know very little about it, but wanted to mention it to those interested, that dont read the Eve thread.

If its anything like the PC version, it will probably be too time consuming to bother with, but I will be checking out the beta because Im pretty curious.

This will be a brand new copy of the universe, not shared with the 16 yo game. And they of course plan to monetize the game, but doesnt appear any details about that have yet been shared.

• 3Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm "playing" this so you don't have to. You're welcome.

The game is surprisingly... Eve on a phone. Like, damn near a direct port. Some skills have been consolidated, but there are still a ton. And you do train in real time. The UI is obviously different than a PC - worse, because they have to stick shit behind menus, which makes most things take a little longer than it should, and that matters in a game like Eve - especially flying bling around. But otherwise this IS Eve. And while I'm impressed they can actually put it on a phone, it's not a game that seems really made FOR a phone. I'm sure the game will make money, but not from me.

This thing also overheats my phone like crazy. I imagine it will get more optimized, but any real fight (unless systems cap at 30 people or some shit) I can totally see melting your phone. You'd think they wouldn't put storyline shit in Jita too... /facepalm That appears to have required (at least one) patch to get players OUT of the system, so they could play the game. It's almost like we've been here before, CCP...

Think the game has been down longer than up, the last few days. Least most times I've tried. Half the time I do anything, I freeze and have to reboot. I get it's Beta, but it's OPEN Beta, so I guess I expected a bit more.

Anyhow, imagine trying to play PC Eve on a 2.5 x 7 inch touch screen, with nestled menus to do many things. That's what this is.

When I had to autopilot 12 jumps to get a new ship I bought, I remembered why I used to have a TBS game loaded up in the background while playing Eve. Is this "waiting around" really what you want to do while actively "playing" a phone game?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was in one of the early tests and noped out. If I wanted to play EVE I would, you know, play EVE.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I'm jealous of eve players. It is a game I missed, and I just do not have the time to learn since I am thick in adulting.

My sense is, Eve does some things very well for a persistent world.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I've tried to get into EVE more than any other MMO but it just doesn't hook me. I really need a sense of progress in my MMO's and I don't get it with EVE at all. I end up subbing, setting my 30 day train queue, run a couple of missions and then log...a week later I make sure I'm not set up to renew and then repeat the above 1-2 years later.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's a sandbox so you have to make your own progress (skills aside) and that is a tough hurdle for many people to get past. You would likely be hooked if you got into an active corp right off the bat, but that requires an amount of effort (or coincidental luck) that not many games require. One of my fondest gaming memories is living in a wormhole with just 5 other people (2 from these forums) and that took not only a lot of effort to get setup, but also stumbling onto the forum guys already having it setup.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is going to be one of those things were you emulate it on PC or mirror it onto a large screen with mouse/keyboard and murder all the touchscreen noobs.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is starting in about 9 hours, you can predownload it.

No idea what to expect, only information I can find is that it's a slightly simplified Eve Server (eg there's no ammo, but still all the ship modules etc).

Monetization is the same as Eve, free to play for lower level skills, pay for higher level skills and faster skill training.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As someone with a few trillion isk in eve who's kinda escaped, is this good? Eve is kinda gay, but so am I apparently.

Chris

Potato del Grande
As someone with a few trillion isk in eve who's kinda escaped, is this good? Eve is kinda gay, but so am I apparently.
I just played about 30mins and it's great.

Loads quickly, has everything EVE has but slightly streamlined.

Like at the start you can only train Frigate Defence which seems like multiple of the old skills combined, so you are not micromanging electronics upgrades and whatever the fuck.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hmm, the idea of a new eve shard on pc would appeal to me. But on phones? Idk.

Stupid jump changes and fozzie sov killed eve for me. As they did for my old Alliance. (Black legion). A new shard on domion sov would be very tempting.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Stupid jump changes and fozzie sov killed eve for me. As they did for my old Alliance. (Black legion). A new shard on domion sov would be very tempting.
Give it a go. I was very impressed with it.

A lot of attention has been given to polish, like all the window micromanagement in EVE PC doesn't exist on mobile.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Give it a go. I was very impressed with it.

A lot of attention has been given to polish, like all the window micromanagement in EVE PC doesn't exist on mobile.

Where is it dled? Dont see on google store.

Will it run on lowend android?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Where is it dled? Dont see on google store.

Will it run on lowend android?
Hmm. I don't have the latest phone (2018 Galaxy A7), so I guess mid and high spec.

I feel like this would be great on an ipad or something. The touch screen controls make it easier than regular EVE to do things.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Eve and Eve mobile are kind of merging in philosophy apparently. Eve now has instanced PVP. I might try this out some time in the future.

They have a history of dropping things completely after some time, but I guess a mobile game it really wouldn't matter.

• 1Like

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have been playing this on Nox. Kinda nice to play on an emulator and get notifications on my phone when my autopilot is complete

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shame, I have a 1+2 still and that will certainly not run this, holding out for the Pixel4a, but I bet by the time I get it I'll have either have forgotten about this or it's pointless to even join in after missing out the initial rush.

Anyways, this was way too long into beta. Don't these guys know how to run a mobile game? development start to finish in six month, only use recycled assets from previous projects, hide your old mechanics under new names and then milk your herd with the store.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
auto detected Settings: potato

still barely playable.

1597573342375.png

• 1Worf