EVE Online

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Interesting data on EVE:http://mmodata.blogspot.com/

World of Warcraft is taking its second nosedive after a small recovery around oktober 2012. Landing at around 7,7 million subs. Still the biggest MMORPG out there, but at this rate EVE Online may overtake WoW in a couple of years
tongue.png

Talking about EVE Online, that is still the example of how to do things in the post - WoW era. While CCP thought they were becoming the dinosaur of the industry, and therefore had to implement a cash shop with micro transactions. They realized their mistakes in time ( after their customers reminded them where their loyalty must lie Riots-in-eve-against-microtransactions ). And turned around and got back on track making EVE Online a better game.

CCP is being rewarded now, with a PCU ( peak concurrent users ) of over 65.000 and over 500.000 monthly playing subscribers and a continued growth every year since release, now more than 10 years ago.

At this moment EVE Online is the second biggest subscription based MMORPG in the west, and the only subscription based MMORPG that is still growing in the west and probably in the world.

If you make a game for gamers, with good features, it will sell and people will pay a monthly fee.

The new PCU for EVE also means it is now the MMORPG with largest shard ( single game world ) in the world, passing Second Life which has now a PCU of around 63.000 players. It will be still a while before the absolute record will be broken tho ( 88.000 PCU in Second Life a few years ago ).

I know we've talked about this chart before, especially in regards to the roller-coaster effect that they were having for a while whenever an xpac would come out. Now they've broken the 65k PCU mark for single shards.

PCUShard.png

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
activated my three accounts today but I'm not really sure what I want to try out this time. Before I stopped playing I was doing wh stuff with a large alliance and was getting ready to set up my pos so I've got a lot of pos components and a months worth of Amarr pos fuel stashed somewhere. My main guy is at 18.5 mil sp and is fairly good at T3 minmatar but primarily does covOps and anomaly scanning. Have a near perfect miner with 15mil sp that i trained into support cruisers (I think it was to bring up the pos shields quicker but I honestly don't remember what most of my ships do other than my covOps, T3 and industrials) and I have a 11.5 mil sp Orca pilot with foreman skills who is also trained in covOps. Might just kick around and mine in the system that I left my guys in but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone needs a few more pilots for anything.

Calroon_sl

shitlord
Yea, it's pretty funny seeing Dust 514 (being F2P) being a massive failure and EVE growing ever since.
CCP boasted a while back about those 2+million created mercs (of course this is everyone having 3 chars),
while then having less than 5k concurrent people playing the game
tongue.png

They even merged the numbers of Dust and EVE in the login screen of Dust so people wont see the tiny numbers. But hey, it's all one big giant server right? Sure, weird though that they are showing only pilots in EVE online and not pilots + mercs while in Dust they show mercs + pilots. Cheers for eve-offline.net telling the truth about this giant turd (on PS3 at the end of it's lifespan no less, holy fuck that is so stupid on it's own).

CCP really boggles my mind sometimes.
No wonder there's no marketing for this giant pile of horseshit.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Dust fails because while the maps are decent, the actual shooting gameplay sucks balls and the guns are terrible and not fun. It's like they've never played an fps before and thought they were breaking new ground. The dropsuit system is so generic that most choices you make hardly make any change to your role. (re: do you want to do 2% more damage or have 10 more hp). The whole idea of real time skill training just so you can turn faster or aim faster is just crap in a game that has controller and kb/mouse players on the same map. Vehicles are impossible to kill by ground troops and only balanced due to being impossible to drive well from shitty controls and crazy acceleration. I'd talk about how unintuitive the map system and the find battle system is but i've stopped playing.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
Dust really needs a FFIVX style relaunch for the PS4. Pull the whole thing and rework it. I think the idea has merit but the implementation was meh.

Arakkis

N00b
I didn't even know Dust had been released. And thank you kadm for that story. I was thinking about coming back to EVE after a long layoff, but your story inspired me to continue winning.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Didn't we come to the conclusion that CCP ran out of money, and SOE gave 'em the rest with the stipulation they got it exclusively?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I doubt CCP ran out of money. But I'm willing to bet SCEA/SOE gave them money or shared resources with them for servers/netcode development, I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Didn't we come to the conclusion that CCP ran out of money, and SOE gave 'em the rest with the stipulation they got it exclusively?
DUST was always PS3 only I think, even like 3 years before its launch they only talked about it as a PS3 game.

They are pretty dumb for doing it too instead of making it for the PC as a more action based alternative for people who liked the idea of EVE but didnt like the slow combat.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Let me get this straight, null-sec is 50% owned by CFC ( a goonsquad alliance ) and the other 50% of 0.0 has allied against them. So the options are either to join goonsquad, or the rest of the universe that has banded together to fight them?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for corps in 0.0? It's me and my friend, I'm a 6mil sp specialized hybrid/caldari battleship while my friend is going straight for minmatar interceptors. I want to get back down there (my last 0.0 corp disbanded three years ago) and start ratting.

Mangala_sl

shitlord
Joined BNI thanks to Sythe and been having a blast with some of these roaming rape fests.
I love BNI, they are always up for a fight. My weekly roam knows that if we get stuck we can go find them and shoot them. As we did lastnight for the 2nd part of our roam (I run the RvB Ganked public roams).

Eonan

Doer of Things
I love BNI, they are always up for a fight. My weekly roam knows that if we get stuck we can go find them and shoot them. As we did lastnight for the 2nd part of our roam (I run the RvB Ganked public roams).
Hah I was there for both those fights last night it was a good time. Second engagement we did a Chinese fire drill with t1 frigs...70 people jumping out if their ships and trying to find a random new one. I wound up in a ship with weapons I couldn't even use lol.

Sidhe

<Banned>
Let me get this straight, null-sec is 50% owned by CFC ( a goonsquad alliance ) and the other 50% of 0.0 has allied against them. So the options are either to join goonsquad, or the rest of the universe that has banded together to fight them?
This is not actually an accurate depiction of what's happening in null politics (not your fault though, a lot of people are trying to make it look this way). Do most of the other alliances have one or more problems with the CFC? Absolutely. But they also have their own problems in their own space, and other projects that they're working on.

At this very second, with Goons having exterminated TEST from Fountain, there is no large scale combat going on involving the CFC. That said, TEST has just abandoned Delve as well, so there's a very wealthy region up for grabs and you can expect a few alliances to at the very least poke their heads in and see if it's worth taking.

kismet_sl

shitlord
+1 for Brave Newbies. Good place to pewpew and learn the ropes. Very alt and trial friendly too.

As far as Null fights go things are pretty quiet. Fountain war is over. Providence civil war ended quickly. A land grab by smaller entities is about to start in Delve as TEST leaves for low sec, but it remains to be seen how many "gud fites" will come out of that. Looks like PL, BL and TDS are trying to poach the TEST capital pilots with some success. Otherwise there are no other real fights brewing that I am aware of.

Hopefully someone somewhere decides to insult someones girl/mother/ehonor and another fight breaks out soon.