Everquest II

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
After playing TLE twice, EQ2 is officially dead to me with all p2w craps they put in.

Yeah even on TLE, spells take 21+ real time days to just advance one tier, for one spell. It would take years to upgrade all your stuff, but we get new expansions like every 2 ish months. A complete money grab, which is why they refuse to fix the fact that you can't craft level cap experts. They get more cash that way from schmuks grandmastering all their spells. It's like 4000 DBC just for one spell, so stupid.

The solo quest you do when zoning in for the first time in RoK has pretty much the same stats or better, than the fabled quest reward you get for finishing up along, 20 step solo questline 10 levels later. They have actually made itemization worse on Fallen Gate than Stormhold /boggle

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I mean this is with every MMO now it seems but I really can't stand this forced to do the train ride quest series. I miss the freedom to be able to grind or quest but now they force you to do it in every game. It's not hard whatsoever since it literally tells you where to go and the quests are just boring.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But if you don't stay in the train you won't get the to learn the riveting conclusion to "did the hero manage to collect all 10 bear asses?"

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's funny that they hate PvP servers when Naggy was one of their most popular servers and probably most fun. They screwed that up themselves overthinking the idea. They kept tinkering with it until they took the fun out of it.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed the first few months of the pvp tlp server. Guess it turned into a shit show though? Worked out for me. Was injured when it came out so I couldn't participate in my normal nongaming activities. Poopsocked hard.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
It's funny that they hate PvP servers when Naggy was one of their most popular servers and probably most fun. They screwed that up themselves overthinking the idea. They kept tinkering with it until they took the fun out of it.

I'm gonna throw myself and under the bus a bit here, but fight fire with fire is the excuse.

The toxicity level reached on the last box when we released the Kraken was even outrageous by my standards. Then we went on the beta and found out Kingdom of Sky was nothing like the original implementation (made a huge deal about it), and the rest of them never doing any PvP servers again is history.

Personally I can't imagine being one of the guys having some big ego riding on the outcome. There were unreal melt downs. Most of it having to do with 12+ years of shit talking culminating there of all places.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Muligan said he can't imagine why they hate PvP servers.

The last one they did as a progression server, Death toll, was try hard melt down server of the millennium.

I shared some experiences I had playing there and a little PvP footage of what might be the last good eq2 PvP fight to be recorded.

Eq2 flames might be able to flesh out more, I haven't been back there since. I found this when I googled if the eq2 flames forum still existed:

Losing influence with SOE: EQ2 Flames admin "LFG" tells all

revealing a political climate between players and developers that is not often seen nor heard about.
Edit - boy does some of the interpersonal shit in that article hit home lol. Hope to see all kinds of crazy like this in Pantheon. Everything is BORING (to me) by comparison.

Last edited:

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I know what there problem was.... they didn't have the backbone to stick to what worked instead of worrying about please everyone. I'd rather lose the guild or the small percentage of the babies that couldn't hold their own rather than suffering through change, after change, trying to make everyone happy. They had it right. Nagafen was very populated at one time and really the only server that generated the out of game community (though toxic at times) in EQII's gaming history.

Oh well... Nagafen was some of my favorite MMO moments in history and he's right in the article.... Forums are half the fun. Not many MMO's generate that community in that sense like EQ and even EQ2 was created over the years. I hope Pantheon creates an external community. I think that's part of the experience personally but we'll see.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
EQ2 Nagafen was amazing yes.

Back to the last PvP server they did and what I saw was the major blow up:
People wanted classic dmg/resist rates and sky island travel. Daybreak was dead silent on the matter iirc. Then someone got on the KoS progression beta and blew the whistle. Everyone lashed out then quit. It was ugly. Worse than EQClassic when we went nuts on Yeahlight for saying he was going to do custom content (that ended in a big mess too).

People want their classic shit, mark my words.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The drama was always strong with EQ2. I started playing on Butcherblock server, in the guild Honor, which later split with the hardcore raiders forming Strike. Just being associated with Strike loosely, was grounds for getting shit on by at least a few guilds, and it wasn't till I joined Legion of Valor on one of the RP servers (I believe Lucan D'Lere but my memory is fuzzy) later that I got away from random players being penises. Wouldn't trade it for anything though, was some of the best guild mates I've ever had, and I spent a lot of my late teens, and early 20's as part of that family of players.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
The drama was always strong with EQ2. I started playing on Butcherblock server, in the guild Honor, which later split with the hardcore raiders forming Strike. Just being associated with Strike loosely, was grounds for getting shit on by at least a few guilds, and it wasn't till I joined Legion of Valor on one of the RP servers (I believe Lucan D'Lere but my memory is fuzzy) later that I got away from random players being penises. Wouldn't trade it for anything though, was some of the best guild mates I've ever had, and I spent a lot of my late teens, and early 20's as part of that family of players.

Strike vs Aftermath vs Dracos Argent/Reborn ..............ahh good times

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Muligan said he can't imagine why they hate PvP servers.

The last one they did as a progression server, Death toll, was try hard melt down server of the millennium.

I shared some experiences I had playing there and a little PvP footage of what might be the last good eq2 PvP fight to be recorded.

Eq2 flames might be able to flesh out more, I haven't been back there since. I found this when I googled if the eq2 flames forum still existed:

Losing influence with SOE: EQ2 Flames admin "LFG" tells all

Edit - boy does some of the interpersonal shit in that article hit home lol. Hope to see all kinds of crazy like this in Pantheon. Everything is BORING (to me) by comparison.
lfg sounds like a cunty fag

• 1Worf

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

EQ had the same issues. Guild I was in ruled the server for years. Main was an SK. Had a box shaman that use to get tells all the time asking me how I could stand to play with someone from THAT guild. Lol, they didn't realize it was just a box.

Guild was cool too. Good people, just driven.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
lfg sounds like a cunty fag

To someone not involved with it all yes. I do agree but there's an element we are both missing.

You have to understand how immersed people get and treat pixels or their position on the server like life and death.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
To someone not involved with it all yes. I do agree but there's an element we are both missing.

You have to understand how immersed people get and treat pixels or their position on the server like life and death.
lots of us were in top guilds of their server, i'm sure we all got to beta test expacs for sony as well, i did, i was the raid mt also, told em this expac sucked and the gear sucked (they copied your character over w/ new raid gear only).

i said my piece and that was it, i didn't get all cunty when the expac still released buggy as shit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
lots of us were in top guilds of their server, i'm sure we all got to beta test expacs for sony as well, i did, i was the raid mt also, told em this expac sucked and the gear sucked (they copied your character over w/ new raid gear only).

i said my piece and that was it, i didn't get all cunty when the expac still released buggy as shit.

Amen and grats on being able to separate what matters in Norrath vs what matters on reality. You and I both know some people can't do that.

Pantheon is gonna be lawls cuz this stuff is gonna be a thing.