Everquest II

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You're deleveling to match the content, not other players. Otherwise starting at level cap trivializes 99% of the content.
I get that, but wtf is the point of deleveling to the content if you and all your friends are already at cap? This server is going to be a ghost town if that's how it works.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I get that, but wtf is the point of deleveling to the content if you and all your friends are already at cap? This server is going to be a ghost town if that's how it works.
The point is to play the content without it being trivial ever. Sounds like they will still have ways to upgrade your relative power levels, though.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why I always hope this game gets something that would actually bring me back but it never quite does. I'm sucker for this game too but they have never addressed the core issues of the game and that's frustrating. Still the best AH and housing in any MMO. I liked tradeskilling too. They got a lot of things right that people didn't experience due to what they got wrong or at least never addressed.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The point is to play the content without it being trivial ever. Sounds like they will still have ways to upgrade your relative power levels, though.

Which either means the power upgrades will either be minimal and a lot of people don't like that there's no carrot, the content will still become trivial, or there will still be some sort of progression

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Except the entire reason you did "old" content was to help a homie level up, or complete a quest, etc. Darkpaw doesn't understand shit about human psychology if they think people are going to delevel "just cause". Like I said, this server is going to be a fuckin' ghost town.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
As someone who played a good amount of EQ, is there anything of value to be had with EQ2 having never played beyond the starting area at release?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
EQ2 is honestly pretty underrated and got a ton better once hardware improved to overpower their dogshit engine. Problem is, once you get a number of expansions in, ability bloat just becomes a fucking nightmare to deal with.

I REALLY liked a lot of their classes though and how the "evil" and "good" versions played a lot differently. They also really had a winner on their hands with the idea of "solo" dungeons/instances, but sadly the MMO industry/Sony never really expanded on that feature in any meaningful way.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Except the entire reason you did "old" content was to help a homie level up, or complete a quest, etc. Darkpaw doesn't understand shit about human psychology if they think people are going to delevel "just cause". Like I said, this server is going to be a fuckin' ghost town.
I don't know, I think the casuals may get hard over it. It can't be any worse than some of their other ideas.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
They've got balls to try it. Someone saw the "One Tamriel" update for ESO and thought it would be cool to just have a "go anywhere, do anything" system in EQ2. But the whole concept revolves around the mechanic that every single thing you do in game progresses your character some. Alternate Experience in some way-shape-form still needs to exist, you just aren't gated by character level. The concept of old vs. new content changes, you are flattening the content out, and not making it a pure vertical progression. If they actually designed a system like this which worked it would be cool. If they learn from it on a sandbox "special" server, they should apply it to Live, along with a stat and ability squish, and call it Everquest 2 : A Realm Reborn

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually think the concept of the Kael server is kind of cool, it's the execution that everyone is skeptical about.

Leveling through old content you typically only see maybe 5% of it because it would be extremely inefficient to do the other 95%. Having rewards based on the variety of content instead of the best xp loops is interesting in theory.

DickTrickle

I mean, GW2 has been successful for years with a mostly horizontal progression.

It's definitely all about the implementation and the incentives.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I mean, GW2 has been successful for years with a mostly horizontal progression.

It's definitely all about the implementation and the incentives.
But it isn't horizontal progression when you START at cap. That's the part I can't understand them implementing.

Level scaled content is fine when you aren't already at cap. Once you are, what's the fucking point? Like I said, "just cause" isn't enough of an incentive for most people.

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
So I’ll have 12 action bars with 100 abilities as soon as I log in? Sounds fun.
Will most likely end up with 2 bars of actual abilities and 3 bars of things you don't really use but feel obligated to have out there cause they gave you the ability and you might click it once in awhile when you remember "Oh yeah I have an ability that does 'X'"

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Will most likely end up with 2 bars of actual abilities and 3 bars of things you don't really use but feel obligated to have out there cause they gave you the ability and you might click it once in awhile when you remember "Oh yeah I have an ability that does 'X'"
Can also macro a majority of similar abilities to one or three buttons too, now that I am thinking of it.

Optics aren't really kind to new players trying to figure this shit out though.

What might be cool is slowly granting abilities as you complete achievements, though. That may make it more tolerable for new players.

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
The team needs to go through and do an ability purge, I don't see why I need 10+ independent damage abilities that I click whack-a-mole style. As a monk I also have a bunch of defensive abilities that I just never use...and I am not even going to start on the ascension class crap...here is what my hot bars currently look like.
Untitled.png

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
And they really need to look after the numbers. With tripple million damage and two digit million healing received it's really impossible to tell what's going on. Also the economy crashed hard on the low pop servers. On Thurgadin a Krono goes for 50 mill pp right now and the handful whales price fix almost everything.

Also coming back only to play through the recent expansion I noticed that they established a level range on shinies. So no more buying your way to level up really. With the way they scale exp after 100 xp vials are also kinda pointless because 200K is almost nothing after 100.
Oh and mercs kinda suck now. They have been "balanced" I guess? Tried to solo an even con ^^^ and got my ass handed to me. I remember you cold molo to max level in dungeons, guess that is over now.