Everquest II

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've tried to come back to EQ2 a few times, and it's always the same. I install the game, log in my character, see my hotbars with like 70 abilities, log off and uninstall.

• 10Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Echoes of Faydwer improved the quality aspect. By The Shadow Odyssey, it was perfected.
Sentinel's Fate was awesome! But its followup, Destiny of Velious, took a giant nosedive in quality for zone / quest layout.

Dave Georgeson pushed a lot of that executively; I can hardly fault the team from that era. He killed morale of both teams and took valued talent and put them on EQNext, which effectively was a death march. I only have a few second-hand accounts about that fiasco, namely from Dave Mark of Intrinsics AI, and Shawn Lord's various interviews where no one wanted to touch on the subject.

Scott Hartsman, being a technical person and designer himself, can be attributed to TSO era EQ2's highest quality expansions. Rift's launch was a testament to that ability.
Scott was so good. His willingness and push to have people communicating with the community really did a lot of great shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Echoes of Faydwer improved the quality aspect. By The Shadow Odyssey, it was perfected.
Sentinel's Fate was awesome! But its followup, Destiny of Velious, took a giant nosedive in quality for zone / quest layout.

Dave Georgeson pushed a lot of that executively; I can hardly fault the team from that era. He killed morale of both teams and took valued talent and put them on EQNext, which effectively was a death march. I only have a few second-hand accounts about that fiasco, namely from Dave Mark of Intrinsics AI, and Shawn Lord's various interviews where no one wanted to touch on the subject.

Scott Hartsman, being a technical person and designer himself, can be attributed to TSO era EQ2's highest quality expansions. Rift's launch was a testament to that ability.

Agree fully, I probably should've mentioned the later expansions were actually good again lol.

The raids are a lot of fun too, and I've been on more than a few TLEs with a pretty dedicated group, I probably raided more in EQ2 than any other game.

• 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Ahh desert of flames where effritis accedently abduct you into their harem while you where running from specters and clicked on a shiny object

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Scott was so good. His willingness and push to have people communicating with the community really did a lot of great shit.

He was so underappreciated and he got unfairly blamed for Trion going under which was 100% not his fault. The man is a visionary but I'm not even sure he's working anymore. I follow him on Twitter in hopes that one day he'll announce a new project but no such luck. Seems like his genius is retiring with him and there's nothing we can do about it.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've tried to come back to EQ2 a few times, and it's always the same. I install the game, log in my character, see my hotbars with like 70 abilities, log off and uninstall.
I tried it out again about 5 years ago and quickly realised that just by lvl 20 I was starting to stack things high. WoW understood this with their periodical purges of abilities. 10 buttons to push in combat - including situational ones - is probably more than enough to keep things good, and if you want some complexity, just add some form of combos, not just a shit ton of different abilities each with 10 levels you can spam...

One thing though... I have been looking at some streams of EQ2 after this thread flared up again. Did they redo the UI at some point? Seems different.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried it out again about 5 years ago and quickly realised that just by lvl 20 I was starting to stack things high. WoW understood this with their periodical purges of abilities. 10 buttons to push in combat - including situational ones - is probably more than enough to keep things good, and if you want some complexity, just add some form of combos, not just a shit ton of different abilities each with 10 levels you can spam...

One thing though... I have been looking at some streams of EQ2 after this thread flared up again. Did they redo the UI at some point? Seems different.
You can put a bunch of the abilities in macros in whatever order you want. You can condense down the 30 or so abilities into 5-8 macros.

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
It would be quite beneficial if they went in and dealt with the ability bloat a little bit, as a monk do I really need 20+ attacks where none of them do anything special?
But then again if they did something like that then how would they sell their plethora of research boosters to raise the ranks of all your abilities?!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I liked heroic opportunities. I had a regular small group when playing EQ2 and they were such a big help, especially because we could coordinate what we were doing unlike a retard pug.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
HO's are a great idea but the execution wasn't very fun. I'm not sure how to improve it honestly but I love the idea of the group coordinating to exploit weaknesses or combo abilities. Its too bad they just abandoned the idea instead of figuring it out

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If I recall you could sort of game the system and make it more likely to get certain ones you want as long as the team was doing things the right way, right? I feel like there was a heal or mana regen that was always super useful. For a three or four person group it was pretty handy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If I recall you could sort of game the system and make it more likely to get certain ones you want as long as the team was doing things the right way, right? I feel like there was a heal or mana regen that was always super useful. For a three or four person group it was pretty handy.

I think it was Mage starter, Scout enhancer to get a chance at the most common group power regen. Each tree has three or four different outcomes of varying probability. There are some absolutely busted ones if you can do the full Scout -> Priest -> Mage -> Fighter combo, but it typically requires coordination and people to hold their CDs.

• 1Truth!

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I think it was Mage starter, Scout enhancer to get a chance at the most common group power regen. Each tree has three or four different outcomes of varying probability. There are some absolutely busted ones if you can do the full Scout -> Priest -> Mage -> Fighter combo, but it typically requires coordination and people to hold their CDs.

Yeah, they never finished the system, and made the power regen one super rare, so people stopped bothering except for mana intensive raids.

Anyone else ever play Channeler? My Sarnak Channeler was a favorite MMO char of mine. The heat mechanic was neat, and yeah the class was almost too good because they had to adjust raids for the flat % damage reduction.

I had a blast collecting up all the raid DPS gear that was leftover, and eventually got the rare healer ring that neutered your heals but increased your damage by like 50%. I would sometimes parse #1 on AE fights when I didn't need to heal. I would nuke harder than wizards for single pull, but the heat mechanic balanced that out quick lol

EQ2 was flawed but fun with the right crowd.

• 1GreNeg

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Tempted to play the new Server, but then I remember the combat and all motivation vanishes. A shame.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Nektulos castle was awesome - or whatever it was called. The spookyness was great they did a good job on it

Heritage quests also where cool doing the shiny brass halberd and bone bladed claymore

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed Unrest and several of their recreated, historic pieces of Norrath in a lot of expansions. It really is a shame environmentally they did a lot of cool things but what it takes to actually plays the game was pretty miserable at times.

I really did like Scott... I kept hoping he would resurface with one of these new games or a game of his own. He really connected well with the players and seemed to create with players in mind. Wonder if he lurks? Didn't he at one point post from time to time?

• 1Like