Everquest II

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Oh I agree button bloat is a problem in genre. I just think there are not any easy solutions that don't create other problems.
Sure there is. Cut away the bullshit, combine things. WoW just did it and it worked out fine. Never going to happen in EQ2 but no one would ever accuse VI/SOE/DB of being competent.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
why do you want a company to bullshit you? It might be possible that she, or others at SOE know that shit is going down hill and maybe they are just riding the wave until it gets to shore.

What more of an indication do you all need that eq2 is constantly in decline? On the kunark expansion there was 50 devs working on this game. for CoE there was 25. Now there is 16.

Kunark was a 40 dollar investment that was worth it. You got a HUGE overworld, a new starting zone, with new races and some of the best raids that eq2 ever got.

TSO was almost as good, and brought the best competative raid scene I have experienced in any game with it.

SF was decent, and was the last bastion of the awesome raid scene that TSO provided.

Now when velious came out we got a large release of content, but it wasnt all of velious, and most of it was broken as fuck upon release. yet we were promised that we would get the rest of velious later in partial releases. they released CoE while finishing up velious. after COE ( and an expansion where they sold you things that ended up being mandatory if you wanted to play endgame content) they sold the rest of velious to us: tears of veeshan, even though we were supposed to get it for free. I mean wasnt veeshan contant part of velious? was velious worth over 100 dollars? fuck no not ever.

I think its also safe to mention that Velious effectively killed at the least 60% of the guilds competatively raiding. There was such a turnover rate for guilds and players during that time that it was literally the most fucked up thing for any guild leader, raid leader, or officer/recruiter to deal with. What an indication of a good game. lol

One of the worst additions to the game during velious was the lootmaster 5000 and the stat revamp. Basically wowifying stats in the game and making any flavorful items dull as fuck. Easily the worst mistake for this game. The unique items that were provided up to SF were what made the game fun and stats were a way for people to really tune their character. All were destroyed because someone at SOE knew that it took time to do these things and took no concern with how people playing the game felt about it.

so we have gone from a game with over 30 people developing it, making unique items and encounters and other awesome things to a game that has automated item generation, half the developers, that is trying to charge you half of what you would of payed for kunark for one fucking instance/instance set.

if you guys dont think that eq2 is going to phase itself out while trying to fuck over whoever is still playing it now. I have a fucking bridge to sell you.

I think its a damn shame. Me and my friends refer to eq2 as potentialquest. because thats what they sell you on. Not the shit fuck ass ball that eq2 is, but what its becoming and could be. If they tried to sell you eq2 as what it actually is people wouldn't come near it. They need to trick people into liking it because its the only chance eq2 has to getting new money, I mean players.

as for feedback, the eq2 team as of the last few years has been smart about not letting you know its in decline. Take pvp for instance, any time you ask about anything to do with open world pvp/nagafen they ignore it. Why? Because they arent working on it, and if they told you that alot of folks would quit. So they just barely work on it through the years to kick that can of hopeful players down the road having them still lap up SOE bullshit while they do nothing about their complaints. Take dungeon finder for instance, they said they were going to revamp it and fix the brick of shit so many times I lost fucking count. Without even checking, I bet those inept fucks havent even touched dungeon finder.

SOE/DBG knows one thing well. Once you are addicted to an MMO and you are at the point of true fanboyism/delusion, they can sell you whatever the fuck they want and you will buy it, suck their dicks for it and fondle the balls. You were just a dollar sign to them when they were SOE, why do you think that shit would improve when its being ran by a group of investors? Yeah I am sure that all the old fucks on the board of directors really gives two shits about a person enjoying the game and getting the best for their buck. The best part about the company itself is daybreak games fucking sounds like they break games. Its like a company freudian slip or some shit, you couldnt even make up such ridiculousness.

ixian_sl

shitlord
FWIW, the dungeon finder did get some backend improvements and sees some use these days thanks to the level agnostic dungeons that are available from 20 to 95. Cross-server dungeons are planned, but they have to work through DB issues first in order to allow for that to happen.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I hadnt touched EQ2 in a few years. Had no idea that the Ssra temple landed upside down on Norrath after Luclin exploded

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
yeah level agnostic, lets alll be the same level and skip the shitload of content that a larger group of developers did to get to the content that 20 people developed. That is total dumb and just another way that EQ2 developers are just shooting themselves in the foot.

also they banned feldon from the discussion forums, the guy who made a better gear and stat viewer than the developers at eq2. He has ran the most popular fan site for eq2 for ages.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
They're still selling a product, why wouldn't their customers deserve some sort of feedback?
As a customer, I don't feel that Daybreak owes me anything. If I don't like what they're selling, I don't buy it. Just because I give them $15/mth doesn't mean the dev team (or executive producer) is my bitch and must categorically address all of my concerns.

Now, if they wantmoreof my money then yes, feedback would help me feel like I could maintain my sub while they work some shit out. The difference is I don't feel entitled to the feedback, whereas, based on the language and tone of your post, I'm assuming you do.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ssraeshza Temple is in Altar of Malice? May have to dust off my my sk or warlock for one last hurrah in EQ2 sometime.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
As a customer, I don't feel that Daybreak owes me anything. If I don't like what they're selling, I don't buy it. Just because I give them $15/mth doesn't mean the dev team (or executive producer) is my bitch and must categorically address all of my concerns.

Now, if they wantmoreof my money then yes, feedback would help me feel like I could maintain my sub while they work some shit out. The difference is I don't feel entitled to the feedback, whereas, based on the language and tone of your post, I'm assuming you do.
I think it is simply an expectation, good business, and maybe even a little common sense. I think it is just frustrating to many of us why they are not taking any steps forward to save face and possibly get a little consumer confidence for EQNext.

I didn't have this mindset for years but with the change to DB in addition to EQNext, you would think they would take this opportunity to work towards clean slate and bring people back into their circle thinking of EQNext in the future. I simply jumped in back into the conversations because one, i'm bored with all other MMO's and two, I was hoping there would be more freedom in the dev speak. I want to kick around in EQ games while I wait on EQNext and honestly the latest streams, dev chats, etc. have been as frustrating, if not more, than ever before.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Ssraeshza Temple is in Altar of Malice? May have to dust off my my sk or warlock for one last hurrah in EQ2 sometime.
I didn't know that either... I still don't think I could load this up even to look around. I just can't bring myself to give them a dime for this game.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

I agree with this. But I would also add that my subscription entitles me to some form of basic customer service. Either in game, via forums or email. As it stands, I can't in good conscience give SOE/Daybreak any more of my money. Even the basics are lacking with these guys.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I don't even know where you would begin with an EQ2 emulator. Just deciding which of the four hundred combat and stat changes to use would be a challenge.

Not to mention actually finding recorded information for some periods of the game's development being impossible.
You'd use end of EoF

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ability bloat was a large issue for EQ2, it was extremely bad for some classes, while others did just fine. Going by memory, Conjurer was fine, so was Fury (my favourite class), while Shadowknight had an amazing 7 buttons for AE spells/effects alone, including one coming from talent points. Some buttons were there just because, with no real purpose, it was like pushing 1-2-3-4 was harder than pushing 1-1-1-1 for some people. All in all, 4 hotbars full of shit.
Basic single target attack with a debuff so stupid it was simply forgettable, then another one with a different debuff, then again and again, all of them with a cooldown, so players were forced to rotate them, instead of spamming a single skill.

I said it before, even for other games: EQ2 made you play the UI and not the game. When you tunnel vision your hotkeys cooldowns instead of the game world, there is something fundamentally wrong with the game concept. WoW suffered a bit from this as well, but UI mods initially compensated and then Blizzard introduced the power auras for procs on the default UI that helped a lot. Nowadays with UI mods you can place anywhere and the limited amount of buttons in a raid rotation, "performing" is less a matter of stretching your hand on the keyboard and more an awareness test on where to be and when to do stuff.

Nonetheless during EoF I simply loved the game: Heritage quests, Epic Questlines, housing, etc. there was a lot of stuff to do and a truckload of content (KoS and EoF were both for level 70 after all). Playing a Fae and abusing gliding was also a lot of fun.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
EoF was the first expansion I played after leveling to 30 something in vanilla. I continued playing all the way through several months of Kunark (enough to finish the mythical epic weapon). I can see why some people wouldn't like Kunark, but I was in an old but very active guild so it was at least as enjoyable for me as EoF.

ixian_sl

shitlord
EoF was good times; that's when I started playing myself (still have the box!), though my roommate at the time had been playing since launch so I'd watch him raid and stuff. Looking at the game then and now, it pains me to see how many aspects of it feel like they were implemented without any thought of how they might scale in the future, or in cases where they were, how the scaling "plan" was bypassed in order to address other issues.

duragrizzly_sl

shitlord
Somehow I got sucked back into this game, ended up buying the expac. the whole quest line doesnt even take you from 95 to 100. I think I hit 98 when i was completely done with the new quests. what the fuck kind of design is this? Add in the 600 buttons I need to press, the lack of players to actually progress with and now a week after i buy AoM they announce a new instance for 15 bucks. They are content to just retain all the ultra fans and casual housewives they have no as their customers

the best part is, i saw they were asking for feedback on eq2's reddit. since no one uses that shit, i figured i could get a response from a dev to a question that has been bothering the shit out of me

Cantebury comments on [Beta] Scout Ability Damage Feedback

im pretty sure that dev just hit me with a "lol go back to wow if u want ez" atleast thats how i took it. fuck eq2