Everquest II

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm enjoying the shit out of this game. It reminds me a bit of like Skyrim, where I set out to do 1 thing, and keep getting dragged into 50 other things. Questing, gathering, tradeskills, tradeskill quests, L&L quests, language quests, just random quests I run into out in the wild that are heritage, or signature, or just reward some neat furniture or awesome gear.

When does the honeymoon stop?

And what is the game like at level 100? Typical WoW-style raid progression, or something else?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I'm enjoying the shit out of this game. It reminds me a bit of like Skyrim, where I set out to do 1 thing, and keep getting dragged into 50 other things. Questing, gathering, tradeskills, tradeskill quests, L&L quests, language quests, just random quests I run into out in the wild that are heritage, or signature, or just reward some neat furniture or awesome gear.

When does the honeymoon stop?

And what is the game like at level 100? Typical WoW-style raid progression, or something else?
EQ2s problem for me was always the cap. It's boring WoW style currency grinds, or at least it was last expansion I played ( a few back for sure). The raids were also fucking awful, mana drains and knockbacks seemed to be the only mechanics. Also like 90% of the playerbase you'll hear on voice chat are countrified hillbilly rednecks, it's really weird.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
EQ2s problem for me was always the cap. It's boring WoW style currency grinds, or at least it was last expansion I played ( a few back for sure). The raids were also fucking awful, mana drains and knockbacks seemed to be the only mechanics. Also like 90% of the playerbase you'll hear on voice chat are countrified hillbilly rednecks, it's really weird.
because only hicks and retired vets play this game. The one thing players have in common with this game is that most of the players are actually in fact on some form of life support.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know... that's a 1000% accurate of my experience playing this game way back. Glad to see the community is still thriving.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
My biggest problem when I return to this game is literally 50 different spells that all do the same thing. You get 1) Fireball 2) Stronger Fireball 3) Fireball + Small DOT. I just stare at my hotbars after being going for awhile and say fuck it and log back out.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest problem when I return to this game is literally 50 different spells that all do the same thing. You get 1) Fireball 2) Stronger Fireball 3) Fireball + Small DOT. I just stare at my hotbars after being going for awhile and say fuck it and log back out.
The funny thing has always been SoE stance that "if we change combat / abilities now, we could upset the playerbase!". How about some forward thinking!? The game has some really amazing qualities, but the resounding failure and criticism has always been ability bloat. They didn't want to upset the few to have the chance of gaining many. Shame.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed my time in EQ2. I didn't start the game until late last year, so it was already mostly dead by that point. Having played EQ1 long ago, there was some nostalgia going on, and I appreciated a lot of the modern gaming updates EQ2 made over EQ1. I leveled a few classes up, but shadowknight was the one I went all the way to cap with.

What killed the game for me was the total fuck you the game throws your way at level cap. My shadowknight was capped on AA, had his epic quest complete along with the special spell upgrades, and I was wearing the best possible gear from questing. I specced into a full tank build, gemmed and tweaked my gear for tanking, then tried a starter heroic dungeon. Trash mobs 1-2 shot me instantly, repeatedly. It was completely absurd. Researching the problem, it turns out I was supposed to spend like 3+ months farming solo dungeons gearing up with currency before trying to tank the group content. Talk about a stupid progression curve. My character could pull nearly entire zones and face tank it in the open world, but gets 1 shot to trash mobs in dungeons.

I quit not long afterwards, even though I had pre-purchased the terrors expansion for like 40$, and never even logged in since. Sigh.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, people can thank everyone's favorite dev Domino for the stupid repetitive daily shit. That's all her fault. It was always bad and dumb, when they started pushing it farther and harder in the game past crafting it was the beginning of the end.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, people can thank everyone's favorite dev Domino for the stupid repetitive daily shit. That's all her fault. It was always bad and dumb, when they started pushing it farther and harder in the game past crafting it was the beginning of the end.
Did she do it to try and fit WoW's daily retarded repetitive farm that now exists or did she do it on her own?

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I love venturing over to the Stormhold forums every now and then to see the same retards trying to act like they are good killing stuff months after its released and acting like any of this is relevant

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I love venturing over to the Stormhold forums every now and then to see the same retards trying to act like they are good killing stuff months after its released and acting like any of this is relevant
I'm convinced anyone with a gnome avatar is either a dev, or dev family member. You can bring up the most broken shit, or stupid change, and they will white knight the hell out of it, while calling people 'whine bags' lol. Good times.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think I would probably give this a go if they started up another progression server, I never really gave this a fair shake when it came out. I played a templar for a bit sometime during its early years and was loving it, then there was some kind of massive nerf to templar reactive heals and I said fuck this and dropped it.

If they did a true box type thing like Phinny - which I am still enjoying immensely - I would be down with that.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think I would probably give this a go if they started up another progression server, I never really gave this a fair shake when it came out. I played a templar for a bit sometime during its early years and was loving it, then there was some kind of massive nerf to templar reactive heals and I said fuck this and dropped it.

If they did a true box type thing like Phinny - which I am still enjoying immensely - I would be down with that.
The time and state of this game that was actually fun is long gone. You can't bring it back no matter what you do. It's a shame they couldn't bottle it up and address the real problems that stifled the development of the game.

It's a shame. It "could" have been a very good game and was actually getting there. Some of my best MMO memories came from that short window of time but it simply didn't last. I'm not sure how much Scott had to do with it but it seemed to be going up while he was leading the charge and then when he left Ponytail brought us SOEmote.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
He went to Van de Camp's company Trion which honestly was in disarray whether people admit it or not, and helped turn a nothing IP no one heard of into a successful MMO which took EQ2's niche and then some. Why? Because instead of "next level shit" like SOEmote and other retarded side projects he focused on what made CRPG's/MMO's great.

Way too many retarded devs who want to invent a better bicycle seat when they can't even make their own game fun.