Everquest II

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Whats the general differences between having a sbu and not?
I'm assuming you said sub, and basically a "gold" account gets to equip legendary + gear, use the broker, and have higher level skills. They also get access to duels and i believe some races? I'm not sure as they changed the restrictions to where they are more open now.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I can heal you but you need to be on AB.
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man this game runs like fucking shit on my i7 LOL. I knew it would but.. damn..

Are the animations always so choppy with character movement? Seems like on mine it is. It is fun so far, but a bit tough to get over the performance hit. Apparently opening a second instance EQ2 and running it from that instance improves performance due to the way the CPU load is handled.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm

Are the animations always so choppy with character movement? Seems like on mine it is. It is fun so far, but a bit tough to get over the performance hit. Apparently opening a second instance EQ2 and running it from that instance improves performance due to the way the CPU load is handled.
EQ2 is core speed dependent. Multiple cores won't really help much. Make sure you have shadows set to GPU, and don't try to run the game at max settings unless you have cores running above 4ghz.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, unfortunately it's my gaming laptop so clock speed is pretty low. I'll probably get better results on my OC'd core2duo than this.

Siliconemelons

My SK from like 20-50ish had a decent array of fun and familiar abilities and small chains, but then it just got HIT BUTTONS AS THEY REFRESH FOR NO REASON IT MAKES DEEEEPPPSSS!!!

supertouch_sl

shitlord

This game ran flawlessly on an older computer but when I revisited it a few months ago I could barely move. Someone told me there's an issue with multi-core processors and I never did find a fix for it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This game ran flawlessly on an older computer but when I revisited it a few months ago I could barely move. Someone told me there's an issue with multi-core processors and I never did find a fix for it.
I have an old AMD dual core, 8 GB RAM, and a NVIDIA 8800 GTS 512 and I have always had pretty good luck with EQII. Outside of raids, I run it on pretty high settings. As others say, turn shadows off.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The reason is Amds tend to run at higher frequencies. The game was written to only use a single core, so having multiple cores is usually worse performance than having a higher frequency single core. What really boggles my mind is they never fixed this.

zhr0_sl

shitlord
I'm assuming you said sub, and basically a "gold" account gets to equip legendary + gear, use the broker, and have higher level skills. They also get access to duels and i believe some races? I'm not sure as they changed the restrictions to where they are more open now.
That's good to hear that made having no subscription better.

I started up again once they went F2P and at that point they just had 2/3 races as well as classes to choose between. I believe I was playing an Erudite Sorc, but it sucked not being able to check out the other races/classes.

Would you have any recommendations as choosing a class? Paladin or bard has peaked my interest, but I am completely new to these classes and don't know much about them.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I have an old level 70 Fae Fury on AB ill trade somebody for p99 plat or account.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I made an Iksar Monk named Gecky on AB to check things out again. Somewhat amazed they are on expansion #10...

Do skill rotations even matter in this game? What about "heroic opportunities"? I remember trying to actually hit HOs the last time I played.

On my low level ranger I have dumped all of my ranged and melee skills into 2 macros and just hit the ranged macro until the target dies.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I always just macro'd HO's into my quickest cooldown skill. The rotation is basically do your best shit first and then on down the line.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah skill rotations mean nothing. I just hit a bunch of random shit and kill things.

Steamfont quests really pissed me off though. It's so inconsistent. One leg of a quest will show a blue area where you need to go and complete it, the next leg has you speaking to some guy in an unexplored portion of the map and the icon only comes up if you are close and sometimes not at all, the next will have you gathering an item pointed out with a blue dot, than telling you to get to the top of an overlook with zero idea how the hell to get up there in the first place. Also, level ranges are completely whacked. Steamfont is supposed to be level 30-40 - I didn't see a quest in there under 35 even at zone in and some level 42 quests have you running through packs of level 49 mobs. Wtf.

To be clear on the mapping, I am fine with having to go find things on my own, but make it so I am either doing that or looking at a map for reference. Not changing those play directions on the fly via legs on quests.

So yeah. Whoever designed Steamfont must have had too much to drink for a month.