Everquest - Live Servers

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
A single rez stick could take your raids wipe recovery time from 45 minutes down to 20 minutes. It was a game changer for sure. It is just kind of stupid that an epic item is basically a time saver. Oh well, they made plenty of questionable choices on the epic's: Shaman, Druids, and Necro's basically got nothing of value past the in-slot stats.

The biggest mistake they made with the epics was to not have them all benefit others or the group in some way. It took a massive effort to get someone their epic and most of the time they only benefited personally. Who the fuck cares about spending 15 hours of raiding to get the Paladin his sword with a 150 dmg proc.

For instance, the Wizard right click should have had a group wide mana regen aura. The Necro one should have cast a group target-able Feign Death. The Shaman one could have given the group a temporary stat buff, like Avatar for burst damage. Druid one could have ported his entire group to the teleport pots in Timorous Deep. Rogue provide the group with a +Attack aura. Warrior provide the group with a +AC aura. Shadow Knight provide the group with a +Damage return aura. Paladin could cast a buff to allow others to melee proc the 150 dmg + stun. Monks provide the group with a +haste stacking aura. Rangers the ability to cast group Spirit of Cheetah. Mage provide the group with a +spell damage aura.

Couldn't agree with you more about the epics. I was a wizard, and our epic was meh at best. Definitely looked cool, though. But I remember the wiz on our server getting the scepter of al' kabor, which I believe had KEI as its clicky and made the epic look like a piece of crap. Something that would've benefitted others, like a critical damage increase would've been awesome. Honestly, besides the cleric, enchanter, bard, and shaman epics, were any of them really guild/group beneficial?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
these are my two twinks
BvrfJgJ.jpg

qiVIBRf.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Say what you want, but I loved that Staff of the Four. I kept the buff up almost 24/7. It greatly helped when I randomly got attacked by some shit when I was a little too aggressive, not to mention it was good for a lot of boss battles. The DD from AoE spells was seriously lessened if you had that buff active. It wasn't "as good" as the standard magic only shield spell, but it was great none the less..

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm intrigued. This may get me to play on live servers with a heroic toon.

But the question is: What are the classes like on live atm? I know nothing about nothing of modern EQ

Like, seriously, can someone give a brief oveview of what the playstyle of each class has evolved into? Whats strong? Confirm that rogues are still ass stabbing little bitches?

Last edited:

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Couldn't agree with you more about the epics. I was a wizard, and our epic was meh at best. Definitely looked cool, though. But I remember the wiz on our server getting the scepter of al' kabor, which I believe had KEI as its clicky and made the epic look like a piece of crap. Something that would've benefitted others, like a critical damage increase would've been awesome. Honestly, besides the cleric, enchanter, bard, and shaman epics, were any of them really guild/group beneficial?

That would have been OP. The Alkabor Wizard scepter was an ancient item, 1 per server. I remember running into the guy that had it on Veeshan in Thurgadin and being like WTF? And then he told me it gave him 10 mana regen a tick and I lost my fucking mind. That was insane at the time. So yeah it wasn't a KEI clicky, it was just FT10. http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=2446

My first epic was Bard epic and obviously it was one of the better ones. God was that a pain in the ass to get though. I could solo Phinigel using Lute of the Howler (werewolf illusion, which for some strange reason made you non kos to EVERYTHING in Kedge, including Phinigel himself) so I could swim all the way to his spawn point and camp him. I had his spawn on lockdown for 2 weeks, even though he had a 6 hour fucking window. Backbone wasn't even the rarest ffs. Anyways I solod him every time, a dozen kills, and never got the backbone. Finally I found someone to MQ it to me for free, after begging people to please, please double check their bank again for the 3rd time, surely someone must have it rotting. And some random Warrior did, he was nice enough to MQ it for me. He even had to kill minotaurs in Steamfont with me for 2 hours because I was afraid his faction would be too low for the MQ to work. He did it for free too, it was awesome meeting people like that in EQ. That just doesn't happen anymore.

I still remember the excitement of epics in Kunark like it was yesterday. Everyone frantically searching every square inch of every single zone looking for clues to epics. I remember sitting in Erudin B on my Wizard for hours, because there was a rumor that there was a rare NPC there that would start the Wizard epic. It was so cool that nobody knew shit. Nobody knew who started any epic, we all had to figure that out, slowly, in bits and pieces. Every single NPC in every single city had to be hailed and spammed with random dialogue, hoping to trip upon a dialogue box that would trigger something... anything It was super exciting whenever an epic was discovered. I think the Rogue epic was the very first one discovered/figured out/completed? And there were a couple classes that took like 2 months longer than all others to finally be figured out and completed. No wonder they say there are still hundreds of undiscovered/uncompleted quests in EQ. It amazes me that any quests were figured out at all with how it worked lol. But it made it great in a way, so much more immersive.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
We should do a forum guild just for this Kunark expansion.

• 1Solidarity

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
6sec/100hp heal was OP as hell for bard. Basically could just chain click that for 100hp/tick regen with your stacked clickie DS's and laugh as melee beat themselves to death on you in duels.

Yeah I used to love dueling people with my SS BP. I was called a cheater over and over again because nobody could believe how fast my life would regen. "You're cheating, using potions!" There wasn't a single person on all of Veeshan that I couldn't beat in a duel in Luclin era except for FoH's #1 bard, Strumms. With SS BP and the Ancient Mez from VT that was unresistable, plus unresistable mana drain, it was impossible to beat me. Wizards tried with mana burn, only to fail to my impeccable Divine Aura timing, Monks would kill themselves on my huge DS's. Anyone using mana would get mana drained and mez'd over and over until they were helpless. The closest anyone got were top Paladins, and those duels would just take about 45 minutes before eventually they'd concede or slowly die. I made a killing in duel bets. Bards were so fucking OP it was insane. I loved stacking all those buffs, until they nerfed it. I had all the PoM flowers, Breastplate of the Void (like pure caster shielding, with resists), and a bunch of other things. My buffs were always maxed at 25.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My first REAL guild leader was a cleric who pulled.

Not sure what purpose that serves. There is almost no benefit in being a puller unless you were a monk or SK. Its just risk if you're tagging mobs "to be cool."

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what purpose that serves. There is almost no benefit in being a puller unless you were a monk or SK. Its just risk if you're tagging mobs "to be cool."

Pacify Pulling. Its the shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What era are we talking about here? And are we talking about dungeoning or raiding or what?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I never bothered doing any pacify pulling unless in some dungeons somewhere. Considering shit was immune to most of that crap later on I still don't see the point.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But back to the Epics talk. I started the Cleric epic pretty early on as people figured pieces of it out. But I was after the curve and didn't have to do much theorying about it. I did enjoy the hilarity of the monk epic as the ghost in Overland (evil boat landing area in Kunark I don't think that's the name exactly though) would just say shit like, "show me your mastery" and was extremely vague on what he was actually wanting from you.

Endless discussions on what items he could possibly mean to show your mastery. The balls on the guy who gave him the ROTWF and that book from Trakanon's Teeth the first go around.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Bards were amazing pullers even before PoP. Specially in places like Plane of Growth. Which I hated of course, because I was our top Bard and I pulled faster than anyone. Pulling in PoG for 5 hours sucked so hard. Specially after the patch that introduced ancient spells to higher level mobs. Wisps nuking you for 3k FFS. And then once PoP came out, Fading Memories made Bards a thousand times better at pulling than Monks, and they hated us for it lol. Oh and not to mention being able to gate mobs, that was super useful for pulling if you were creative.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bards were amazing pullers even before PoP. Specially in places like Plane of Growth. Which I hated of course, because I was our top Bard and I pulled faster than anyone. Pulling in PoG for 5 hours sucked so hard. Specially after the patch that introduced ancient spells to higher level mobs. Wisps nuking you for 3k FFS. And then once PoP came out, Fading Memories made Bards a thousand times better at pulling than Monks, and they hated us for it lol. Oh and not to mention being able to gate mobs, that was super useful for pulling if you were creative.

So were you the top bard? I wasn't sure from the 8 times you said it in this thread. Get over yourself.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users