Everquest - Live Servers

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Is this the main EQ 1 thread? Hope so. I would like to ask about this game. I've played WoW on and off since launch. Played EQ2 for a few months after launch but it didn't quite stick (left after all my friends migrated back to WoW). Played a bit of LotRO, and Eve.

So, I've been thinking, why do people play a game this old? I'm not trolling or being derogatory. Obviously this game has a pull that other, newer ones don't. I take it it must be something more than just "nostalgia"? Could any of you describe what this game is like and what it has to offer a casual player (often solo)? Are there any websites, YouTube videos that help describe/explain this game for those more accustomed to, say, WoW?

Been wondering for a long time if this is a game I might enjoy or not so I decided to try and ask and find out. :)

Louis

Trakanon Raider

That video describes what EQ was during the early years, which is when a majority of users here played it the most. Now a days, the live version has lots of quality of life changes and the amount of content available is huge.

There are also a bunch of different ways to play this game now. There are servers where every item is droppable, which makes the ability to twink yourself and be a death machine at level 1 very easy. Progression servers, where expansions are locked behind kills and time. And finally, there are emulator servers such as Project 99 that try to emulate what the game was like around 99-2001 as much as possible and other emulator servers that are much more solo friendly. Servers that have current members playing would include StormHaven and Nagafen's Lair

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is this the main EQ 1 thread? Hope so. I would like to ask about this game. I've played WoW on and off since launch. Played EQ2 for a few months after launch but it didn't quite stick (left after all my friends migrated back to WoW). Played a bit of LotRO, and Eve.

So, I've been thinking, why do people play a game this old? I'm not trolling or being derogatory. Obviously this game has a pull that other, newer ones don't. I take it it must be something more than just "nostalgia"? Could any of you describe what this game is like and what it has to offer a casual player (often solo)? Are there any websites, YouTube videos that help describe/explain this game for those more accustomed to, say, WoW?

Been wondering for a long time if this is a game I might enjoy or not so I decided to try and ask and find out. :)

This thread started out as a " what made EQ so great?" thread. Go to page one and start reading.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, there's probably lots of different reasons why this game hooked people. Trying to explain that to someone else is pretty difficult. Also, I don't know how well people adapt to EQ after playing games like WoW.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the info. I just watched that video and while I can see why people loved it, I'm not sure how well I would do in it in this modern day and age. Might give EQII a go again instead. I loved the collection quests in EQII, both the shinies and the creature lore quests (where you collect various body parts).

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I played both extensively, EQII probably more than EQ. While I did enjoy the collection and heritage quests in EQII, I find that the original EQ has better replay value. If you happen to try out the Nagafen emulator server let me know and I'll gear you up.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks Louis Louis ! I'll let you know if I do. Having read a bit of the first posts in this thread I can't help but notice that most of the discussion is on how the game was back in the day, both pros and cons. How is it now? Is it similar or have things change a lot (for the better or worse)?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
most of the people on this forum that still play EverQuest do so on servers that are designed to recreate the "back in the day" experience. they do so with varying degrees of success.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'd love to check them out when I have time to properly immerse myself in the game as it was. So, here's waiting until I either become unemployed or retire! :D Until then I might just try the F2P parts to see how it is. :)

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My first holy shit moment in EQ was on my warrior on Veeshan server during early classic. I think my warrior was somewhere around mid 20's and I was in North FP just hanging out. North FP was the major trade zone on Veeshan. I saw this warrior in full indicolite armor from PoF(I didn't know it at the time) training the guards and AoEing them down with the katana looking sword from PoF and I was blown away. The warriors name was Kartak from FoH who I believe became Furor if I remember correctly.

Pogi

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
I had to watch the video from Daly, a couple things that still blow me away. The death penalty in this game was brutal. Spawning far away from your corpse with nothing and losing hours of xp.
And the other thing is the fact that we competed with everyone else on the whole server for items, especially epic quest items.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

Like others have mentioned, most people here talking about EQ are referring to the good old days. I recently played modern EQ on the regular servers, and honestly I don't think it offers much over other MMOs nowadays.

One thing EQ still offers over competition is it's slower-paced combat. There's been such an emphasis in recent years on making super action packed MMOs, but EQ still has a pretty slow and methodical combat system that doesn't require 3 billion clicks a minute to do well.

I'd also say the setting is a draw for some people. With the exception of some of the odd expansions, it has a pretty traditional, high fantasy setting with all the standard classes, settings, and tropes you'd expect.

If you're coming from a modern game, however, EQ is extremely hard to get into primarily for the absolute complete and utter dogshit default UI. And I swear to god, whoever designed the "advanced loot" system needs to be dragged into the street and shot. I've never need to look up a guide online just to figure out how to loot items in a group. Fuck.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

one of the names announced for new zones in the expansion is Scorched Woods

after Kunark first came out (~2000) there was a funny EverQuest meme that went around that involved a very dumb noob asking for directions to "burned woods" and getting messed with, with the guy telling him that the location of the zone changes every week.

first story here: Everquest Humour

would be an awesome nod to classic EQ humor if the new Kunark expansion actually did have a zone that moved around every week.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
one of the names announced for new zones in the expansion is Scorched Woods

after Kunark first came out (~2000) there was a funny EverQuest meme that went around that involved a very dumb noob asking for directions to "burned woods" and getting messed with, with the guy telling him that the location of the zone changes every week.

first story here: Everquest Humour

would be an awesome nod to classic EQ humor if the new Kunark expansion actually did have a zone that moved around every week.

joke over head.gif or thats the joke.gif

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
My first holy shit moment in EQ was on my warrior on Veeshan server during early classic. I think my warrior was somewhere around mid 20's and I was in North FP just hanging out. North FP was the major trade zone on Veeshan. I saw this warrior in full indicolite armor from PoF(I didn't know it at the time) training the guards and AoEing them down with the katana looking sword from PoF and I was blown away. The warriors name was Kartak from FoH who I believe became Furor if I remember correctly.

Pogi

Indicolite dropped in Hate off the kung fu mummys.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Correct, you're looking for the "original" plate armor from PoF, Lustrous Russet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Like others have mentioned, most people here talking about EQ are referring to the good old days. I recently played modern EQ on the regular servers, and honestly I don't think it offers much over other MMOs nowadays.

One thing EQ still offers over competition is it's slower-paced combat. There's been such an emphasis in recent years on making super action packed MMOs, but EQ still has a pretty slow and methodical combat system that doesn't require 3 billion clicks a minute to do well.

I'd also say the setting is a draw for some people. With the exception of some of the odd expansions, it has a pretty traditional, high fantasy setting with all the standard classes, settings, and tropes you'd expect.

If you're coming from a modern game, however, EQ is extremely hard to get into primarily for the absolute complete and utter dogshit default UI. And I swear to god, whoever designed the "advanced loot" system needs to be dragged into the street and shot. I've never need to look up a guide online just to figure out how to loot items in a group. Fuck.
Advanced loot is awesome once you learn how it works.