Everquest - Live Servers

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
How are live servers atm? My understanding is you can't really find a group until near max level, so you solo/molo/box or heroic your way up. But at cap are there a lot of groups going? Bristlebane specifically if anyone knows.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
How are live servers atm? My understanding is you can't really find a group until near max level, so you solo/molo/box or heroic your way up. But at cap are there a lot of groups going? Bristlebane specifically if anyone knows.
I don’t know but I would imagine it’s mostly boxers, MQ2 box groups, and guild groups

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's trivial to find a group.

If you've got a built up social network and 2 or 3 boxes you can bring to bear. It's basically impossible to roll a new character, advertise LFG and get anywhere. Unless you've got some buddies to carry you I'd say that if you're not willing to 3 box, play on TLP or a different game.

Fortunately, 3boxing is also pretty fun and is unique in the gaming space.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I have not touched Everquest since Planes of Power. Thought this was a good summary of what it is like to play today.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like that once he found someone to play with he started having fun, but it took 63 hours to find someone. And it made the solo time after even more miserable since he had experienced a better way.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I was frustrated watching that video. Everything he was saying was true, but if it takes you 63 hours before you get your first group, your doing it wrong.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time than to start at level 1 in EQ and try to solo your way through the game. He also was wasting his time doing stupid quests and basically getting nothing for it. How depressing that all must have been. I was getting depressed just watching him do it.

Nobody can argue that EQ isn't ancient, antiquated, and not very user friendly... but if I, or any other experienced EQ player could have had 15 minutes with him to set him off on the right foot, I wonder how different his experience could have been. Hell, if he had just started on a recently launched TLP and joined a guild within the first few hours of playing, he probably would be addicted and still playing.

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I love EQ, the game is nostalgic as fuck to me, but I feel you gotta rephrase that:

if you're not willing to 3 box, play on TLP or a different game.

To,

if you aren't willing to 3 box you need to move to another game

TLP is only an option if you are on a 2 character limit server and even then people get banned on the regular for playing 3+ on a limited server.

Honestly, if you don't have a core group of people you are playing with that are willing to drag you along as you 1-2 box, EQ isn't the game for you. People will always say, "Oh we don't mind" in regards to bringing a person with 1 or 2 characters, but they do mind and you will be talked about behind your back. From my experience, the days of doing things to do them as a group of buddies is gone.

---

Fortunately, 3boxing is also pretty fun and is unique in the gaming space.

I get that people "Enjoy" multi-boxing but I found it tedious to the point that I got MQ2 running on aradune just so I didn't have to deal with 2 boxing.

Most the people I played with that multi-boxed didn't do it because they loved it, they did it because of one of several reasons such as; they couldn't get other people to play with them because they were insufferable twats, or couldn't get other people to play at the same time as them because of scheduling issues, or they had such high standards that most people didn't meet them and they would rather have additional burden for the less hassle.

---

Yeah, I was frustrated watching that video. Everything he was saying was true, but if it takes you 63 hours before you get your first group, your doing it wrong.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time than to start at level 1 in EQ and try to solo your way through the game. He also was wasting his time doing stupid quests and basically getting nothing for it. How depressing that all must have been. I was getting depressed just watching him do it.

Nobody can argue that EQ isn't ancient, antiquated, and not very user friendly... but if I, or any other experienced EQ player could have had 15 minutes with him to set him off on the right foot, I wonder how different his experience could have been. Hell, if he had just started on a recently launched TLP and joined a guild within the first few hours of playing, he probably would be addicted and still playing.

Part of the issue is the mentality that Tuco is talking about. EQ1 is about "Soloing" now, where a good amount of characters that you encounter are Multi-Boxing.

I'm honestly shocked that he found someone to play with at all in his level bracket. 80-90% of my guildmates on aradune never grouped outside of the guild and some never grouped with people in the guilds because they multi-boxed.

I agree that most of us could set him off on the right path after very little time but the point he makes with most of his videos isn't about "how can a Personality play a game" it's generally about how a RNG can play a game. Your general person won't even play EQ much less start paying a monthly sub. So I think he gave the game a good honest 100 hour run in the way that 99% of players of MMOs would play EQ.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Multi-boxing has just never interested me. Every time I try to get back into EQ, whether on live, a TLP or some emu it’s just expected to multi-box it seems and I just can’t be bothered which means I probably just have to play by myself which sucks.
Watching Josh’s video, the game is almost unrecognizable. The fuck is all this weird quest log shit, mercenaries, etc?

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Multi-boxing has just never interested me. Every time I try to get back into EQ, whether on live, a TLP or some emu it’s just expected to multi-box it seems and I just can’t be bothered which means I probably just have to play by myself which sucks.
Watching Josh’s video, the game is almost unrecognizable. The fuck is all this weird quest log shit, mercenaries, etc?

Mercs were a solution to soloing because even the game developers KNOW you need at least ONE other person or a group for a majority of the content in the game and with mercs you can "6 box" with 3 characters and 3 mercs.

Yet another reason why i thought it was impressive that Josh actually found someone his level to group with.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
His angle is picking up the game how the other 99.9% of the population would. Not everyone has leet friends who have played for years and can trick you out instantly.

Just like works more fun when you have a rich dad who makes you VP of counting money.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I get that people "Enjoy" multi-boxing but I found it tedious to the point that I got MQ2 running on aradune just so I didn't have to deal with 2 boxing.

Most the people I played with that multi-boxed didn't do it because they loved it, they did it because of one of several reasons such as; they couldn't get other people to play with them because they were insufferable twats, or couldn't get other people to play at the same time as them because of scheduling issues, or they had such high standards that most people didn't meet them and they would rather have additional burden for the less hassle.
I think I'm biased because I spend more time talking with elite boxers that 100% enjoy boxing. I cut my gaming teeth playing party RPGs like Ultima 7, and multiboxing MMOs with tools like IS Boxer is kinda the ultimate inception of that genre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Had to fire this up after Runnen Runnen showered us with AI pictures and waking the nostalgia.

65 Monk, 66 AAs. Abandoned in Thurgadin around late 2003. Still equipped with my most precious weapons I ever got in a game.

Skärmbild 2023-10-27 165611.png

• 10Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Had to fire this up after Runnen Runnen showered us with AI pictures and waking the nostalgia.

65 Monk, 66 AAs. Abandoned in Thurgadin around late 2003. Still equipped with my most precious weapons I ever got in a game.

View attachment 497459

If you are going casual return, I'd put all your monies on that character and then transfer to test. Test is a blast made even better by everyone there having millions of plat.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Still not one single word about Alternate Personas from DBG.

All they said is they hope to have some answers (not all) some time this week to post.

I'd be willing to bet that as soon as people started asking valid fucking questions about it in the beta forums, they were like fuck... fuck... fuck fuck fuck... why didn't we think about that. SHIT FUCK SHIT. We can't fix that. Oh fuck no. FUCK FUCK FUCK. Is it too late to say that Alternate Personas is not going to be in the expansion? FUCK!!!!!

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
They make the raids time delayed now so they have an extra couple months to work on it so I won't be surprised if they offer some incredibly simple implementation to say it was available only for them to flesh it out in the coming months.

Brael

Golden Knight of the Realm
Still not one single word about Alternate Personas from DBG.

All they said is they hope to have some answers (not all) some time this week to post.

I'd be willing to bet that as soon as people started asking valid fucking questions about it in the beta forums, they were like fuck... fuck... fuck fuck fuck... why didn't we think about that. SHIT FUCK SHIT. We can't fix that. Oh fuck no. FUCK FUCK FUCK. Is it too late to say that Alternate Personas is not going to be in the expansion? FUCK!!!!!
No, it will be the same as it was for Encounter Locking - they realize that vastly underestimated all the problems they would run into and all the edge cases that people bring up as valid concerns. They will shove it through anyway, despite all the problems that are still there because oh well, something is better than nothing. Finally, after over 6+ months since it was enabled they managed to fix some of the bugs and come up with roundabout ways to solve the issues remaining with bandaids they hope to stick and don't break more things.

They have gotten so used to inventing new problems when trying to fix random ones that it doesn't even seem to phase them anymore. I'm extremely surprised they had the clarity to decide against pushing the DX11 update even in its broken state because that is just what they do at this point. I just wish I didn't love the game as much as I do and could get more laughs out of their flailing about.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
No, it will be the same as it was for Encounter Locking - they realize that vastly underestimated all the problems they would run into and all the edge cases that people bring up as valid concerns. They will shove it through anyway, despite all the problems that are still there because oh well, something is better than nothing. Finally, after over 6+ months since it was enabled they managed to fix some of the bugs and come up with roundabout ways to solve the issues remaining with bandaids they hope to stick and don't break more things.

They have gotten so used to inventing new problems when trying to fix random ones that it doesn't even seem to phase them anymore. I'm extremely surprised they had the clarity to decide against pushing the DX11 update even in its broken state because that is just what they do at this point. I just wish I didn't love the game as much as I do and could get more laughs out of their flailing about.
I'm betting you're right.

As for the EQ addiction, I can tell you what broke mine after two decades of dealing with dumbass decision after dumbass decision by DBG. Lord of The Rings Online broke my EQ addiction. Now EQ is just my side game that I play every once in a while.

I'm not saying that Lotro is the answer for you, but I am saying there ARE other games out there that can replace EQ if you allow yourself to not compare it 1 to 1 to EQ. EQ is unique, but when you start giving other MMORPGs a real chance, you start realizing that there's more shit than good in EQ that makes that unique not worth justifying all the shit.

For instance, WoW ain't a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but WoW classic is pretty fucking good. If they actually do end up making WoW Classic Plus, that might just be something worth playing long term. And, lets not forget FFXIV. FFXIV is a fucking phenomenal MMORPG if you don't mind all the Asian theming. I liked FFXIV, but I prefer the European style theming.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 497459

In all my years of monking I never got Whistling Fists. Does the effect stack with the epic 1.0 effect? (I.e. is it worth doing when you're on a fast unlock server)

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
In all my years of monking I never got Whistling Fists. Does the effect stack with the epic 1.0 effect? (I.e. is it worth doing when you're on a fast unlock server)

In all my years of magicianing since the late 90s, I never did the epic until I finally got one for my mage on the latest TLE server. FeelsGoodMan