Everquest - Live Servers

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why would it do any of that?

Have you met EQ people? All the "alt o holics" have something new to chew on. Achievement hunters (more common than one would think in the top guilds) are probably going to be mining a lot out of this as well. People are gonna be leveling again, and with enough people leveling, the game will be a lot better for friends of players / new folk who wander in. At least for a while.

I could be wrong and nobody will use it or level anything and people who do will just PL their personas with a bard. I don't know for sure. Hopefully it gives the game at least somewhat of a shot in the arm.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking of this setup:

If nothing else I'll use it for main change to SK. I used to run a Zerk/Ranger/Bard box with mercs and it wasn't the most effective thing. Could probably switch that to SK/Shaman/? respectively. Like the Bard is fine but maybe I'll have him run Mage or something to be able to sprint and COTH.

Sk shm brd is awesome, you gather up mobs with the bard, ae agro them with the sk, then you just HOT the sk while doing DS on the bard.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Have you met EQ people? All the "alt o holics" have something new to chew on. Achievement hunters (more common than one would think in the top guilds) are probably going to be mining a lot out of this as well. People are gonna be leveling again, and with enough people leveling, the game will be a lot better for friends of players / new folk who wander in. At least for a while.

I could be wrong and nobody will use it or level anything and people who do will just PL their personas with a bard. I don't know for sure. Hopefully it gives the game at least somewhat of a shot in the arm.
Achievements aren't shared, so I don't see how this changes anything.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm thinking of starting a sk/shm/enc/zerk using my existing war/clr/brd/wiz group that are 100ish. The last time I tried to give live a go I got distracted by mischief

Maul

Dental Dammer
I'm thinking of starting a sk/shm/enc/zerk using my existing war/clr/brd/wiz group that are 100ish. The last time I tried to give live a go I got distracted by mischief
Stick with the bard over the enchanter for that group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm running sk/shm/brd/mag/mag, here's a vid of me and my old man playing a necro doing the hardest mission in the latest expansion. I'm going to roll a new persona group next year, maybe next expansion I'll have swapped one of the mages for a berserker.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

sukik

The enc is mostly for pocket buffs later on. The bard stays if I get the rest to near current level. I can't think of anything else useful to have has a persona in the bard slot.

I got isboxer up, and mostly remember how I had my keys bound. But, my inventory is a gigantic mess, and will require some rearranging and more bags for the extra gear sets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Bard run speed and double invis is enough reason alone, but bard enhances everyone else to such an amount that its basically a requirement to have them in a slot

sukik

Oh, I agree with that. I'm just leveling the enchanter while I'm leveling the other guys. My later expansion group will probably be SK/brd/shm/zerk. Unless I learn how to play the warrior again.

Are there any newer good info sites besides eqresource, eqtrader, allakhazam, and almars? Anything that will remind me, or show me the basics of each expansion, items, crafting, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I agree with that. I'm just leveling the enchanter while I'm leveling the other guys. My later expansion group will probably be SK/brd/shm/zerk. Unless I learn how to play the warrior again.

Are there any newer good info sites besides eqresource, eqtrader, allakhazam, and almars? Anything that will remind me, or show me the basics of each expansion, items, crafting, etc.
www.raidloot.com

Ring of Scale Leveling Guide is probably the best guide for leveling quickly. If you've got other chars and want to plvl there might be superior options.

I plan on doing what you're doing next year, and when I do I'll pretty much go to whatever zone and just move through and kill everything in it. It's more fun to me personally than leveling in an area I've been to a lot before, or don't want to go to.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
www.raidloot.com

Ring of Scale Leveling Guide is probably the best guide for leveling quickly. If you've got other chars and want to plvl there might be superior options.

I plan on doing what you're doing next year, and when I do I'll pretty much go to whatever zone and just move through and kill everything in it. It's more fun to me personally than leveling in an area I've been to a lot before, or don't want to go to.

Thanks!! We've been finishing up this WoW tier and some old guildies actually wanted to kick around on EQ. I don't box but a couple of guys in our group do but I thought I would bring my Bard out to kick around. I played heavily on Agnarr and the last expansion prior to that was probably Omens or maybe an expansion or two after. Either way, I have no earthly clue what's going on.

Since this is just some casual fun, how does equipment work or anything for that matter..? lol. Do items just drop or do you camp stuff like the olden days? I guess it doesn't ultimately matter but our experience is moving fairly quickly but not sure how you equip from one set of zones to the next. Maybe I've played WoW so long with iLvl I'm just too far out of touch but we're having fun and really can't find a lot of guides or videos on how EQ even works in 2023.

Any insight on what to focus on to have a little casual fun is greatly appreciated.

sukik

www.raidloot.com

I'm the same. I'm going to avoid zones of done recently, and roam and kill(no camps if at all possible). Instanced zones aren't something I've spent a lot of time doing, so I may seek those out.

After messing with isboxer for several hours, I rounded my group out to 6 with 2 free to play accounts. A throwaway leveling bard and a druid.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Playing live for the first time since 2004. There a guild on a server I can hook up with? Good class to run solo? Still necro/druid? Is there a damn 4k UI anywhere, having a hard time finding one. Closest I found was a Velious themed on EQInterface but it wasn't really 4k. Trying to read the journal and quest helper literally hurts my eyes.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Playing live for the first time since 2004. There a guild on a server I can hook up with? Good class to run solo? Still necro/druid? Is there a damn 4k UI anywhere, having a hard time finding one. Closest I found was a Velious themed on EQInterface but it wasn't really 4k. Trying to read the journal and quest helper literally hurts my eyes.
I think you need to adjust scaling for EQ in Windows. That worked for me. I'm not sure anyone has a good 4k skin. There wasn't any two years ago.

sukik

Do enchanters have many positives 90+? I've had one in my leveling group for charm to the mid 80's, but I'm about to switch my group up to include some other characters I have. I'm going to go with SHD, SHM, DRU, BER, ROG, BRD to max, but my high level bard has been an alt persona enc for leveling. I'm dropping the leveling bard for an 89 rog I forgot I had, and swapping my ENC back to BRD. However, my bard's currently 101, so I could take the enchanter to 101, but I'd be without a bard from 90 to 101. Worth the effort?

I also found a 100 mage I forgot I leveled, so I may level him up and throw him in the group at some point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do enchanters have many positives 90+? I've had one in my leveling group for charm to the mid 80's, but I'm about to switch my group up to include some other characters I have. I'm going to go with SHD, SHM, DRU, BER, ROG, BRD to max, but my high level bard has been an alt persona enc for leveling. I'm dropping the leveling bard for an 89 rog I forgot I had, and swapping my ENC back to BRD. However, my bard's currently 101, so I could take the enchanter to 101, but I'd be without a bard from 90 to 101. Worth the effort?

I also found a 100 mage I forgot I leveled, so I may level him up and throw him in the group at some point.
At 90+ enchanter's main positive are immense synergy with caster DPS. Secondarily they provide some defensive benefits, CC, mana regen and their own DPS.

But when you're boxing, enchanters are there to sling big dick DPS with wizards, druids, mages etc. I don't know if there's an updated guide but here's one from 2022 Caster ADPS Guide on caster ADPS.

If you've got ber, shd, brd, rog, there's really no reason to have an enchanter.

• 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else still have a RAF account ? 400%XP on the RAF account and 200% XP on the master account across all servers, grandfathered in and coded into the accounts. Just have to keep the RAF characters at least a level lower than the master.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else still have a RAF account ? 400%XP on the RAF account and 200% XP on the master account across all servers, grandfathered in and coded into the accounts. Just have to keep the RAF characters at least a level lower than the master.
I think one of my accounts was RAF at some point. I have no idea if it works or how to check it.

Maul

Dental Dammer

Switch the druid to a beastlord for that group

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to go with SHD, SHM, DRU, BER, ROG, BRD to max, but my high level bard has been an alt persona enc for leveling. I'm dropping the leveling bard for an 89 rog I forgot I had, and swapping my ENC back to BRD.

I wouldn't switch a bard out for an enc. If the bottom line is "enc or bard?" go with bard for sure.

IMO the best trio in EQ at high levels is SK/SHM/BRD. Rest is just throwing DPS on top of that foundation.

I'm no modern EQ expert and have only really played in-depth up to level 115 (once), but I think enc is a class that definitely gets less useful as levels/time go on. They're like the best class in the game in early eras and it's all downhill from there. Proper synergy maybe boosts them up in tier later on.

Also yeah I'd switch druid out for beastlord. Not a lot of need for ports post-DoN, with a few rare exceptions like Pillars of Alra. Ranger might also be a good choice. Auspice and easy to box.

3x berserker is probably a good DPS trio post-100 with their synergy effects, as well. Dunno how it'd stack up against ber, rog, bst/rng though.

Which brings me to a question I've had for a while, what's the best trio of the same class for DPS? Like if I was running an SK/SHM/BRD trio and decided to fill it out with DPS instead of mercs (provided the SK is geared well enough for the shaman to have heals well covered). What would be the best trio of the same class in that scenario? 3x Mage, 3x Berserker, 3x Monk, 3x Rogue, 3x Ranger, 3x Wizard? Or is a trio of differing classes always going to be superior? I would think 3x of the same class would be good for someone who wants less fuss, since controlling 3 characters at once to do the same thing would be easier. Hell, 5x berserkers decimating everything while you play a shaman and keep them epic'd and healed would probably be a pretty good meat-grinder group for a lazy person that could contribute to raids pretty effectively (assuming all of them could actually get geared up, and it'd be a project).