Everquest Mangler Server - DOING IT ALL AGAIN, AGAIN!

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
That is almost hard to believe. How many months is that? Year+?

About 2 years? There is a bit of cheating involved with that number since my original guild was competing with 3 others for txevu spawns for pants (we did the trial that dropped time equivalent plate pants all of 2 or 3 times), and broke up with the launch of Omens, where I server transferred and ended up in a guild that had not those problems (they couldnt get silk anything to save their lives though) so I ended up being one of like 2 people on the first Tunat kill without trial/txevu legs.

Likely wouldnt have been as long of a wait if Tacvi wasnt an utter shitshow until Omens, I swear the Ixt as the first boss was just there to troll the fuck out of people.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fuck, I really wonder what these guys are doing. Mangler has crashed something like 16 times in 38 days. Most have happened during normal raiding time windows and that's made even worse by the double DZ lockout timers.

Not an official peep on the forums or on discord except by Dreamweaver. It's really hard to believe that they actually care about fixing this problem or that they're technically competent enough to do so.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Fuck, I really wonder what these guys are doing. Mangler has crashed something like 16 times in 38 days. Most have happened during normal raiding time windows and that's made even worse by the double DZ lockout timers.

Not an official peep on the forums or on discord except by Dreamweaver. It's really hard to believe that they actually care about fixing this problem or that they're technically competent enough to do so.

I think they recently announced a bunch of server merges before the quarantine and shit went into effect. We know from experience that they prefer to avoid merges as much as possible since they tend to go poorly and require a bunch of additional CS action to recover lost characters/names etc.

I was thinking that with the swap to DPG their funding might be such that they really needed to downsize and consolidate to consume fewer server resources but the lockdown has potentially delayed that, resulting in increased server instability.

Sterling

El Presidente
They switched to a cheaper shittier server farm awhile ago. It's why they changed how pickzones work, and is one of the main reasons there's no chance anyone will get private instances they keep asking for.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
They switched to a cheaper shittier server farm awhile ago. It's why they changed how pickzones work, and is one of the main reasons there's no chance anyone will get private instances they keep asking for.
Yeah most of this can be chalked up to Holly trying to cheap out on server costs I'd guess. Then they open up all these TLP's for free members to try this month and burden their servers even more lol.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm guilty of viewing EQ through rose-tinted spectacles but reading threads like this takes me slamming back to all the shittiness of server crashes, emergency fixes, dev forum silence, and fuxx0red spawn timers.

And that's when they didn't have a skeleton crew.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I am actually doubting the crashes are actually based on overloaded server capacity. Probably is a software related issue (ie; code push gone wrong, etc) or an issue that arised from a network configuration issue (ie; database distance from server and server cannot connect reliably to database). Rarely in this day and age do we see out of memory issues, overloaded CPUs, or disk I/O problems. Most hardware is so affordable these days. They aren't renting servers as they self-host in San Diego in their datacenter.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am actually doubting the crashes are actually based on overloaded server capacity. Probably is a software related issue (ie; code push gone wrong, etc) or an issue that arised from a network configuration issue (ie; database distance from server and server cannot connect reliably to database). Rarely in this day and age do we see out of memory issues, overloaded CPUs, or disk I/O problems. Most hardware is so affordable these days. They aren't renting servers as they self-host in San Diego in their datacenter.

I think like 6-12 months ago they did a riposte nerf which they said was due to computation burden or something. Someone else here probably remembers it better than me though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Sure that's all possible, but they did downgrade their serverfarm which is also why the changed how pickzones work and is also a big reason why people asking for private instances are smoking crack.

DickTrickle

Sure that's all possible, but they did downgrade their serverfarm which is also why the changed how pickzones work and is also a big reason why people asking for private instances are smoking crack.
How do you know it was a downgrade? Just curious where that information is.

Sterling

El Presidente
How do you know it was a downgrade? Just curious where that information is.
They did the pickzone change just prior to them switching server farms for budget reasons. So technically it wasn't necessarily a downgrade, but I'm not sure how likely it was an upgrade for cheaper while also reducing server workload.

• 1Solidarity

Xevy

Log Wizard
My guild may never raid Time again. Every Time raid night, the server crashes. The best part? We keep changing the raid night to accommodate the crashes! At least our Rathe Council was fine :).

DickTrickle

But aren't Time crashes not so terrible? I mean, they suck because you have to redo P1, but you can still get most of the bosses you hadn't killed, no? I don't have firsthand experience though.

My guild (Midnight Rations) has honestly been so lucky with crashes, perhaps owing to our time zone. There's been at least five occasions where we had a crash immediately before or immediately after raid times, probably more. The only DZ I think we ever lost was a Fire split. And the first day when the server crashed we were doing HoH trials and they were up in OW when we got back in so even our progression wasn't delayed. I honestly might have quit by now if we lost as many DZs as some other guilds.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It crashes during raid time before the raid. So we don't get to raid, which means we push it to the next raid day. Do that twice and basically you lose a week of Time lockouts. Also server crashes can fuck you sometimes if you're half locked out and lock you out like 1.5 weeks so you can't do it. Pretty fun stuff.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Sorry, if it is a choice between that and a buggy TLP, I'll take the TLP. To each their own.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Can't imagine playing eq with crashing servers in 2020. Would seem pretty novel to keep them running.

• 1Like