Everquest Mangler Server - DOING IT ALL AGAIN, AGAIN!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Who's ready for some Lower FUCKING Guk, boys?!?!??!

I'll be there and raiding with the former <Mess> crew from Agnarr! Interested in joining us? Here's stuff!

Mess on Mangler DBG Forums

Mess on Mangler Reddit

Don't want to click links? No problem!

We raid Tue/Thur/Sundays at 6pm PST on Tuesday and Thursday and 4pm PST on Sunday. No batphones. We will occasionally do open world raids, but our lives and your lives aren't based around it. Loot rules is DKP with a few restrictions. 50% raid attendance for full purchasing power with DKP. On Agnarr we were a top 3 guild for most expansions, but being 1st was never our goal. We are a REAL PLAYER guild. We're not running 20 bots in a raid. We're not running 10 bots in a raid. We will run a FEW boxes IF required (re: recruiting clerics), but we prefer to do things with real people.

And no, we don't have a name... yet.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I was originally leaning Selos, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. Getting your BiS weapon your like 2nd, 3rd week maybe? Then having it be dogshit next month no matter what. If they had stretched it to 6-8 weeks per exp I think I'd be there, but it's just too fast. I want to enjoy the expansions I never played, but at this point its a quick speed-read through them. I'm pretty sure 4 weeks isn't even enough time to experience some of the expansions fully. Maybe get 1 or 2 weeks of top end raiding.

Overall just poor structure. I'm willing to suffer through 3 more months of Kunark garbage raids instead.

Sterling

El Presidente
I was originally leaning Selos, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked it. Getting your BiS weapon your like 2nd, 3rd week maybe? Then having it be dogshit next month no matter what. If they had stretched it to 6-8 weeks per exp I think I'd be there, but it's just too fast. I want to enjoy the expansions I never played, but at this point its a quick speed-read through them. I'm pretty sure 4 weeks isn't even enough time to experience some of the expansions fully. Maybe get 1 or 2 weeks of top end raiding.

Overall just poor structure. I'm willing to suffer through 3 more months of Kunark garbage raids instead.
That's just not how TLP works. In the early expansions stuff will die really fast. With XP the way it is on Selo, I think you'll be surprised how fast VT gets cleared.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You can raid effectively 8 times per month. So if you've got a 1/4 chance in getting your item from a boss loot table AND assuming you can raid that raid in the first week, you're looking at about 2 weeks to probably get your drop. Then you have to win it.

That combined with the astronomical gear inflation, none of the gear is going to feel like it's actually used effectively. I got my Palladius like week 8 of velious, but at least I had like 4-5 good weeks of it before I got my Goldenrod out of Ssra.

Xevy

Log Wizard
We thought about going to Coirnav, but starting late sucks. And like... 35-50% of us still enjoy Classic! Also pretty sure Coirnav is going to take a decent hit from Mangler. Agnarr took a decent one for a few weeks when Coirnav launched, but the terrible xp rate really soured people and a lot came back pretty quickly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You can raid effectively 8 times per month. So if you've got a 1/4 chance in getting your item from a boss loot table AND assuming you can raid that raid in the first week, you're looking at about 2 weeks to probably get your drop. Then you have to win it.

That combined with the astronomical gear inflation, none of the gear is going to feel like it's actually used effectively. I got my Palladius like week 8 of velious, but at least I had like 4-5 good weeks of it before I got my Goldenrod out of Ssra.

I agree that the entire experience of Selo's is going to feel extremely hollow. You'll be able to use your BiS item for maybe a raid or two before it's time for the next expansion. The issue with Mangler is that it's starting in classic. The 3 month unlocks means that it's going to take nearly a year to get to just PoP. No thanks. I really want to experience some of the content/expansions I never saw with EQ, but taking a year and half to get there? I'll have easily lost interest by then.

The unlock schedules are horrible on both ends, for me personally and my schedule. I feel like 4 weeks (Selo's) is too quick to enjoy/experience most of an expansion, yet I feel like 3 months is far too long if you start in classic. If Manger was starting in Luclin or even Velious it'd be much more palatable. But, with it starting in classic, I feel like neither server quite "fits" my current playstyle. However, Selo's probably aligns better simply because of the sped up EXP rates.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Will play on here, casually - i hope. One month unlocks are just too quick and skipping vanilla is a massive no. Couldn't give a fuck less about content past PoP. Didn't play it back in the day, never cared to since.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah I think 8 weeks is the sweet spot. Would have been happy to see it on either server.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Gonna go mangler too, cant skip classic and epics era. Wonder what the guild situation will be with all the established guys on selos.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do these servers have the aoe bard capability or did they stick with the post-nerfed aoe doesn't work if you aren't standing still stuff?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Do these servers have the aoe bard capability or did they stick with the post-nerfed aoe doesn't work if you aren't standing still stuff?

It's a bit different now. Bards get a single target time bomb nuke AA (initial DD, and greater DD with chance to crit after like 18 seconds). They also have a song Denon's which is an AE DD nuke. It burns mana pretty good but you can kill large pulls of non-summoning blue and some yellow cons pretty quickly with it as long as you have room to run between blasts.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider

Correct, the pbae dot songs do no damage if target is moving. So you can either charm swarm for as long as your mana last(which isnt long) or chant kite, which is super slow.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Correct, the pbae dot songs do no damage if target is moving. So you can either charm swarm for as long as your mana last(which isnt long) or chant kite, which is super slow.

The AE DDs only hit 4 targets and you will be Oom in a few casts(it's like 800 mana).

Was it changed in the last few months? The AE DDs did not have target limits the last time I played (Phinny, SoF era).