Everquest Mangler Server - DOING IT ALL AGAIN, AGAIN!

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
By velious the focus effects are easy enough to find that most of the value is gone. It's really classic and kunark when you may have one item per class with a level 3, it's kinda like haste items. melee get way more fun upgrades in general but without focus effects coasters will see almost no meaningful benefit from gear.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’m probably going to roll on this server just to roll through old zones again, just trying to decide between enchanter or cleric - I never knew how incredibly boring classic raiding is for chanters unless charm pets are available. Loved grouping as an enchanter though, except when we had a puller that was just going out of the way to overwhelm CC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Just went on Ragefire to plan my leveling route to 15 or so. Gotta be ready. I plan to be one of the next Michael Jordans of Everquest.

• 1Jonesing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's the same leveling route as every other tlp has been? But with likely less hardcore competition on day 1? Go to unrest.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well, the ZEM got modified during Coirnav. Also leveling at any given point is different than leveling hour 1. 1000 people in the same 5 zones, even with picks, can be chaotic. It's a fine balance of good mob density, in the right levels, WITH DECENT LOOT (fuck you Oasis crocs), and within reach of your group reasonably for spell buying reasons. Also I just wanted to see what Ragefire exp was since I only played on Agnarr. I know it has GOD bonus on or whatever, but still seems pretty nice. The real issue I found was leveling 1-4ish without a group depending on your class and starter zone. Innothule is the fucking worst.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, some starter zones are amazing and others make me think some bug happened and all the mobs disappeared. Some of the higher level outdoor zones are like that too -- just huge swatches of emptiness.

Ragefire is same as live for exp rate, fwiw.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Who the fuck cares about loot at lowbie levels, just race to 50 and do shit with proper rewards.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Lowbie levels your best bet is to just be in a full group the whole time. Invite every pet class you see to a group, keep doing that until like 20. I prefer sro to unrest personally because mob density is better, competition is less and group make up is easier. Leveling on this server is going to be fast so minimizing downtime is key. No sense traveling a half hour sitting lfg Half hour for xp that is only slight better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Who the fuck cares about loot at lowbie levels, just race to 50 and do shit with proper rewards.

If there are a number of potentially good locations and none of them are that much better or worse, going to the place that drops immediately useful gear is going to give you an advantage. Also a number of places where loot is so bad you can actually hamstring yourself - mages, necros, druids, and shaman have a bit of expense to getting all their good spells.

For example 1, if you go to sol a at 20 and grind kobolds for a few levels and then king/bar for a few, the zem is as good as it gets and you can walk away with necessary drops for cleric, mage, necro. If you instead have a few melee in the group and so spend some of your 20s in runnyeye, the zem is a bit worse... but if your tank and ranger get babs/bals it can mean your dps is dramatically better for a few dozen levels.

For example 2, if you kill a bunch of gfay garbage which is mostly crap besides orcs and then take the spires to luclin and do paludal phlargs until 20ish and then move on to HSM and kill owls or wolves because the grimlings (closest/natural spot leaving PC) are camped.. you won't be buying jack shit. Same for a route like sro crocs and some kunark safaris. You will end up level 30 with a combined maybe dozen total plat to buy spells for the whole group and tarnished weapons. If you instead leave paludal the other direction for say echo or nl, or go to oot or uguk instead of crocs, or do giants or goblins instead of roaming animals in kunark, you likely don't lose much xp rate (if any) but multiply how much plat you make.

There is a balance between how much you just hunker down and slaughter vs how much you want items to help you then kill faster, run more to then have a better spot, etc. The faster the xp rate the more important it is to get SOME plat while leveling, but the less valuable it is to waste time traveling and much less to get gear you will replace soon. When xp is a slog, you get plenty for spells almost anywhere but you want a premium camp spot since you will probably be there for a half dozen hours, so whats a half hour to travel there in the grand scheme, versus fast xp where you could almost outlevel your "grass is greener" camp where you are in the time it takes to wait for things like nexus spires to fire.

yerm

In my longwinded posting I merged into selo shit, like paludal. My bad. My general argument stands though: leveling off hobos is still a problem, leveling places with useful items is still helpful, and its all still a balance between how much lost xp vs how much it boosts you.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
ODS is still pretty valuable in velious. prob start this server right before kunark. cant do classic again. hope you guys all shit on the asians at efreeti, hole, ice giants, hill giants, sola, and lguk etc. i imagine since they went rampant on coirnav and multiplied that they'll have even more asians on these two servers and be even cockier. no one checked them on coirnav, i assume people will on mangler or they're gonna drown you guys out lol. once you kick them out of a camp they will just come back while you sleep and force you to do it again in the morning, they're persistent.

Xevy

Log Wizard
In my longwinded posting I merged into selo shit, like paludal. My bad. My general argument stands though: leveling off hobos is still a problem, leveling places with useful items is still helpful, and its all still a balance between how much lost xp vs how much it boosts you.

Yeah, that's why we went testing. I didn't do classic really on Agnarr, so I did my whole nostalgia trip and checked some classic spots. For instance oasis crocs? The TITS for exp lvl 8-19ish. Nonstop pulls, no social aggro, single pulls, no real threats around. The problem? Gator meat. That's all they drop besides the occasional rune. And with the cost of spells going up from 9 to 20 ish by like 2-3x it's just not worth it to spend too much time there. You need phat lewts.

We also scoped out some out of the way areas because even though there will be 20 picks of Lguk, you're still pick hopping to find a camp you can manage and there's still that 10ish minute cooldown on picking. That's a lot of wasted time if you pick around 3 times and all the camps in your level are taken. Better off finding a weird place like Sol A or Splitpaw or something to that effect where you can have a run of the place.

Also doing the right areas for armor like small v large bronze for your tanks can be very helpful. I'm pretty sure like 75% of the server is Dark Elf though so I'm sure Unrest will be gearing most of the server. When we did crocs we went at lvl 7 or 8 and left at 15 or so and I still had two pieces of cloth armor on. We moved to Orc highway and I was suddenly in full rawhide. Big difference. People are thinking this is like leveling their alt where you just go newbie zone to oasis to unrest to guk to the hole, but that's not technically right. You may not have magic weapons for lguk. You may get your ass beat without proper armor in any of these places tanking yellow cons. The Hole isn't even going to be open until probably Wednesday or so. You'll have to spend all your money on spells and if you're one of the first groups you can't buy upgrades. You have to find them.

If you're power gaming to 50 it's actually like a really weird succinct version classic EQ. Ya got nothing and ya gotta find it all. After the first week if you're still leveling you can buy shit and trade and whatever, but the first two or three days you gotta EARN it. All the Krono won't mean shit if there's no one getting the drops in the first place.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There'll probably be banded during the first day if you want to retardedly spend a krono on it. I'm sure some people will, though.

Sterling

El Presidente
People do powerful dumb shit early on. I was buying krono for like 150 plat in the first couple of days on Phinny. Got a Krono for a Stein of Mogguk, and a Krono + plat for a robe of the oracle. People do some real strange things.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
People do powerful dumb shit early on. I was buying krono for like 150 plat in the first couple of days on Phinny. Got a Krono for a Stein of Mogguk, and a Krono + plat for a robe of the oracle. People do some real strange things.

Lol yeah I remember that. I remember you guys selling BABS for a krono early on too. I just don’t get it.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
yeah on coirnav my buddy ran 3 enchanters and grinded up to seafuries and bought kronos for 300p while clearing seafuries lol. he made easily 100 krono in the first 5 days but he played non stop from launch

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Are the low level mage pets on test/live servers the same as they would be on a TLP at the start? Or do the lower level pets get buffed as well as the expansions are unlocked?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Are the low level mage pets on test/live servers the same as they would be on a TLP at the start? Or do the lower level pets get buffed as well as the expansions are unlocked?

pets are something they can't change from server to server, it's the reason why the raid bosses had to be given a buff that made pets weaker against them specifically.