Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
The post immediately before your silly assertion involved me, as you can notice by my name at the start of it. The post immediately after was a cheap shot burn attempt by you towards the guy I was posting back and forth with. The topic of your opinion is the very topic me and him had been talking about.

But yeah, hey, I am so sorry for feeling the need to get involved.
My, my. Don't get too offended now. You seem pretty worked up about an opinion that maybe some people might feel invested in their characters.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My, my. Don't get too offended now. You seem pretty worked up about an opinion that maybe some people might feel invested in their characters.

Based on how hard you seem to be defending it, I could say the same to you. But it's ok. I hope you're right. I think you're wrong, but hope you're right.

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
Based on how hard you seem to be defending it, I could say the same to you. But it's ok. I hope you're right. I think you're wrong, but hope you're right.
I was actually angling for more of a "it's funny people like to discredit someone's post and say it has no fact to it, meanwhile they don't really have any supporting evidence either" than of a defending what I said. Some gets lots in translation of typing.

And yeah, I hope I am right and that there are many invested in their characters to keep Aradune running for a long time and to live status. Nothing but time and seeing what really happens can answer that for sure without some speculation.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure how many guilds on Aradune were hit in any meaningful way to the new TLP's launching. I'm sure there are guilds that were, but not any that I noticed at the top end. I know that at least guilds like TEB, Altered Minds, Triality, Victorem, Nothing But Nice (some of the largest guilds on aradune) didnt see much of any kind of meaningful raid attendance change at all immediately after Mischief/Thornblade launch. TBC launch however was a different story. I know that TEB at least had WAY more people leave to go play TBC than we did the new tlp's. A combination between TBC launch and summer break definitely hit many guilds on aradune in a meaningful way. But as always on the TLP's guilds adapt and while smaller ones collapse those members go to the big guilds reboosting their numbers. I'm not sure currently what the roster counts of the other guilds are at this time, but TEB is still sitting at a little over 100 active players. TBH my ideal roster going in to GoD would be somewhere between 54-90. I think that's a very good number for guilds going in to GoD and beyond to shoot for in terms of a very healthy guild. That's why we waited about 2 months in to PoP to start recruiting again as we expect the next 3 months to have some sort of burnout on existing players and want to end up going in to GoD somewhere between that 54-90 number.

Mischief/thornblade are free trade servers, so they aren't really TLP killer type servers. People go play on there to mess around and make some krono but most people still go play and raid on whatever server they were playing on. Think about FV...who do you think most of the guilds are on FV that clear raid content? They are mostly guilds from other live servers that go on there to clear content then sell the raid loot to the casual non-raiding audience that play on there. FV is the most popular live server because it's just a combination of players from all the live servers, but their main guilds and characters are still on the live server they play outside of FV.

I think the amount of guild recruiters (including from your guild) on Aradune spamming general, planes and even ooc in PoK/Tranq suggests many took at least some hit and that the pool of new recruits is rapidly shrinking, but this is nothing new for a TLP.

Expect many guilds to collapse or merge over the next year, as has happened on previous TLPs

the lion king disney GIF

Aradune will not be magically exempt

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
See, the fun part about my original statement was that it was clearly posed as opinion. I didn't call it fact. Sorry you missed that part and felt the need to get involved.

Meanwhile, the person who you are backing up/defending/or whatever and yourself used a "100%" statement, even though what I said likely is true for some people (note, some, not all or most).

You posted it in a way suggesting that out course you're right and you'd have to be an idiot to disagree.

Population numbers have been posted multiple times with a clear methodology.

The fact that you have some bizarre idea that people are going to treat their year old characters in a 22 year old game like their own children is absolutely meaningless.

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
You posted it in a way suggesting that out course you're right and you'd have to be an idiot to disagree.

Population numbers have been posted multiple times with a clear methodology.

The fact that you have some bizarre idea that people are going to treat their year old characters in a 22 year old game like their own children is absolutely meaningless.
There you go, using "facts" again that aren't really much of a fact. And if people are treating their characters like their own children, well that's their prerogative and not something that I said. Hopefully they balance their life well.

Keep trying to make a mountain out of this, though. It's the internet, so you gotta argue even if there really isn't much reason to, right? I guess its a good sign when this is the best that you can try to stir some drama out of. Kind of sad, but to each their own.

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
Expect many guilds to collapse or merge over the next year, as has happened on previous TLPs

Aradune will not be magically exempt
So what is your thoughts on the health of TLPs? Not disagreeing with you, just curious on your take of things as you seem very rational at first glance.

I view TLPs have having a certain finite pool of players. There are only so many in that pool, and while new players do jump in now and then, I'd guess that the amount of new players isn't significant enough to matter much in the grand scheme of things. You do get players that come back after many years, but you also get players that hang it up too. Guessing, I expect that the amount of older players returning vs those quitting is not equal.

Each TLP takes a certain amount of players from that pool and divide them up onto each server. Some just rotate with each TLP release (ie Mangler to Aradune/Rizlona to Mischief/Thornblade), some hang on and stay on the TLP they joined at some point. Sometimes the pool is replenished by a server merging with live, such as Selo's players going back to TLPs after they made it.

So, to the actual question. How long do you think that TLPs can maintain a relatively healthy amount of players? I also wonder if its really the PoP era where players really start to drop off of a server, or if a big part of it is just because there is or was a TLP released in the near past/future.

yerm

After pop you see a massive dropoff of int casters, followed by classes like priests and bards. This leads me to believe its not because of new server competition and must be something about these post-pop eq expansions.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
They suck for casters, and priest mains. You have to do increasing amounts of group progression and being anything but a melee (especially a tank) main hurts a lot. Being able to box helps, but that also means you have to spend a significant amount of time gearing more than one character.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Level 70 expansions are mostly bad, DoDH is the one stand out, but even it is rough for casters and priests. Casters because the shitty level 70 raid tier where mobs need to be super debuffed just to land basic DPS spells in raids, and Priests because DoDH has a lot of group content you have to churn through and by the time DoDH has hit most of your tanks will have become boxers (on truebox or no) and Priest mains have 0 ability to solo or do meaningful group content going forward.

I've told people many times there's an amazing stretch of expansions from TSS thru to RoF that are worth seeing, but a huge % of people will just never get through the 70s because it's 4 expansions in a row that have lots of issues.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Level 70 expansions are mostly bad, DoDH is the one stand out, but even it is rough for casters and priests. Casters because the shitty level 70 raid tier where mobs need to be super debuffed just to land basic DPS spells in raids, and Priests because DoDH has a lot of group content you have to churn through and by the time DoDH has hit most of your tanks will have become boxers (on truebox or no) and Priest mains have 0 ability to solo or do meaningful group content going forward.

I've told people many times there's an amazing stretch of expansions from TSS thru to RoF that are worth seeing, but a huge % of people will just never get through the 70s because it's 4 expansions in a row that have lots of issues.
What expansion had mercs? Is it TSS?

The era between PoP and TSS seems really lost. EQ seemed to really struggle and find an "identity" after WoW. I've heard of lot of people say the era after TSS and up to HoT is really great, minus some weirdness like Buried Sea. Then it gets really good in HoT again, some even saying it's one of the best expansions ever.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I can't even remember when mercs came out. But I'm pretty sure it was Underfoot? Because I remember the mission to get a j5 merc was RIDICULOUSLY hard at the time and I remember failing all day until I finally managed it, and there were a ton of people complaining about it. Shit was so overtuned. Anyways that mission was Underfoot.

I had a ton of fun boxing 3 chars with 3 mercs with MQ2 through those expansions. But I think I started again in like House of Thule, so I had a ton of good choices. TSS was probably really shitty without hacks for sure. But that was when ghostkill was around and fucking hell it was fun doing the TSS raids by yourself lol.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Merca are seeds of destruction
That tracks. So Underfoot must have been right after SoD. I remember now, there were tasks for j1/j2/j3 in sod? And then finally j4 and j5 in Underfoot? Do you even have to do those anymore on TLP? What is the baseline merc level nowadays?

yerm

Mercs are SoD and ironically they're so gimpy bad that if you try to lean into using them you end up relying on them for farming and fuckarounding but get a real priest for group progression and stuff, which is GOOD for the priests, who probably don't wanna help you farm snake asses but would love to do a real mission.

Anyway while I 100% agree that the God-TSS stretch complaints, my point was more than the disparity of which classes quit shows that it can't be just "oh new tlps kill old tlps" and there must be other factors. You need to address and mitigate these issues if you want to persist. I've had talks about this with people like sieger, frank, drill, etc. I think sieger understood and its why his guild cruised to live. You can say "yeah but selo was fast" no, selo was burnout speed, faceless lasted because it had TOO MANY priests (and monks but hey) because even when you had tanks like gorg and xak doing their own thing they made it a point to get people taskadds and not fall behind, and raid loot wasn't monopolized despite cries of you can't win without funneling.

I'm excited to see how rizlona goes taking a polar opposite approach of "EVERYONE just box past it" and hope it works, because I like the server. It may not. Aradune is gonna need to deal with the same problem every past tlp did. ROI changed dramatically during the 70s to finish TSS strong, faceless prepped for and weathered it great with the obvious 2nd wind in por as they absorbed the guilds who didn't, and to my knowledge only really citizen could be said to also have done well through. Most other guilds just struggle and coast at best.

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
Mercs are SoD and ironically they're so gimpy bad that if you try to lean into using them you end up relying on them for farming and fuckarounding but get a real priest for group progression and stuff, which is GOOD for the priests, who probably don't wanna help you farm snake asses but would love to do a real mission.

Anyway while I 100% agree that the God-TSS stretch complaints, my point was more than the disparity of which classes quit shows that it can't be just "oh new tlps kill old tlps" and there must be other factors. You need to address and mitigate these issues if you want to persist. I've had talks about this with people like sieger, frank, drill, etc. I think sieger understood and its why his guild cruised to live. You can say "yeah but selo was fast" no, selo was burnout speed, faceless lasted because it had TOO MANY priests (and monks but hey) because even when you had tanks like gorg and xak doing their own thing they made it a point to get people taskadds and not fall behind, and raid loot wasn't monopolized despite cries of you can't win without funneling.

I'm excited to see how rizlona goes taking a polar opposite approach of "EVERYONE just box past it" and hope it works, because I like the server. It may not. Aradune is gonna need to deal with the same problem every past tlp did. ROI changed dramatically during the 70s to finish TSS strong, faceless prepped for and weathered it great with the obvious 2nd wind in por as they absorbed the guilds who didn't, and to my knowledge only really citizen could be said to also have done well through. Most other guilds just struggle and coast at best.
Interesting insight. As someone who played melee during that original period, and has not played a caster on a TLP during that era, I've always wondered if it was just people over exaggerating (pretty common) that stretch of EQ.

I can't imagine Darkpaw putting that much effort into fixing that period to address such a problem. At least not with what I am always told of them having a small crew while still trying to put out an expansion every year. Addressing things like epics or key spawns seems like problems on the smaller scale that they can fix, but something like this seems like a lot more balancing needed with implications that might affect LIVE side more.

If resists were toned down, would that be a simple fix that works, or would it cause too many balance problems and/or the problem is greater than that?

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
They suck for casters, and priest mains. You have to do increasing amounts of group progression and being anything but a melee (especially a tank) main hurts a lot. Being able to box helps, but that also means you have to spend a significant amount of time gearing more than one character.
So if you play a caster, better come rolling into those expansions with a loyal group or expect to be begging for groups a lot?

yerm

So if you play a caster, better come rolling into those expansions with a loyal group or expect to be begging for groups a lot?

Yes. You will most likely have to beg to get your mpg trials, don progression tasks, dodh unlocks, por whatevers fuck por I forget, tss missions, and tbs ring shit. With sof+ a lot more content becomes accessible with things like a pet tanking or even just soloers. If you don't wanna beg, consider maining a tank or convincing a tank main to let you use it sometimes.