Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If you haven't seen a guild so stuffed full of the fucking things that a pair goes to an applicant Monk for one DKP than you are a double peasant.

One of the best parts of these servers is drowning people in ridiculous shit.
Hmmm so what you are saying is I should roll a female WE?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They gave Shaman and Druids Superior Healing pre-50 (I think classically it was a lot higher level if at all) so the only thing you're missing out on is CHeal which is mostly reserved for charm pets. Any healer can single heal a group effectively if they're using proper CC. Just so you know most TLP's aren't pulling one or two mobs at a time, even with SKs/monks as puller. They're bringing like 5 at a time and just hoping the Enchanter can handle it. I blame WoW, but it does make for faster exp. Problem is if your comp is good enough you'll run out of pullable mobs for 3-4 minutes at a time.

GEBS are BIS until deep Velious. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it. Only INT casters and a few WIS races will be able to cap it before then and not need them. But generally that 9 int/wis gives you an extra slot to get a big mana item like a ring or earring or something instead.

Clerics are still wanted in most groups, but one of the most easily boxed characters. Especially with CH pets. Usually people play the ENC and the Cleric is either boxed by the Enc (which can lead to some wipes b/c that's too much responsbility for bad players) or some one else as their only duty at high level is to CH the pet every 5 pulls. Unfortunately groups don't tend to run druid/shaman as well as Cleric so there's not much of an offhealer role. Weirdly they run druid/shaman in groups and usually one heals and the other DOTs.

Tanks are definitely the most sought after for groups. Usually because they're the least fun to play, smallest utility kit (65% of tanks are warriors in classic even though they suck), always have to pay attention, and worst of all are at the healer's mercy. If you get a "smoke breaker" or "BRB kids" healer, you're dead mate. That's why tanks should go SK so they can at least try and FD. Unless you're an Ogre in Lguk, in which case you're too small to stand and are ducking and can't cast spells while ducking. Sorry.
Wait druids and shaman get sup heal pre-50? Originally it was level 51.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wait druids and shaman get sup heal pre-50? Originally it was level 51.

Quality of life change from many years ago. These servers use mostly the same everything as live servers so they wouldn't have the ability to change that even if they wanted.

Philonius

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Clerics are still wanted in most groups, but one of the most easily boxed characters. Especially with CH pets. Usually people play the ENC and the Cleric is either boxed by the Enc (which can lead to some wipes b/c that's too much responsbility for bad players) or some one else as their only duty at high level is to CH the pet every 5 pulls. Unfortunately groups don't tend to run druid/shaman as well as Cleric so there's not much of an offhealer role. Weirdly they run druid/shaman in groups and usually one heals and the other DOTs.

So basically charm is so disgustingly overpowered it degenerates all other gameplay?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

SDsurfer

Trakanon Raider
What is a better combo: Paladin/Enchanter or SK/Enchanter? I've never done an enchanter before so I may have to rock it.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
That's what I hear.

I hope these jerks don't nerf it before I get a chance to have fun with it with my cle/enc. I've always wanted to run a charm group but it never made that much sense on live.

Charm is grossly overpowered in classic. It can be used to grief, it's the best DPS in the game, and if it wasn't for MOTM charm pets would also be the best raid tanks. It invalidates all DPS in the game. It's OP to the point where I think charm should just make a level-appropriate pet summon for the spell based on the type of NPC, as there's no way to properly balance it.

I always wondered what a TLP would look like without charm. Would love to see something come of the forum post, personally.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And it's stupid easy to maintain. Charm hardly ever breaks, and if it does, oh well. It's great.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What is a better combo: Paladin/Enchanter or SK/Enchanter? I've never done an enchanter before so I may have to rock it.

The paladin will be more useful here because of stuns (imo). Charm break then quickly stun the mob. In classic, it won't be as noticeable because stuns are slower, but when you get to Luclin, it's pretty good (there's an AA for an instant cast 2 second stun besides your regular spells). When I would charm, my paladin would quickly stun and gain aggro on any charm breaks. Also, a paladin can quickly top off an enchanter's HP if the pet gets some swipes in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I did druid/enchanter on Agnarr I think it was (man all these servers are blending together in my brain). I kept enough AE stuns up in case the pet broke, and it seemed to work really well. Druid could help with DPS and later use Ghetto CH. Ports, snares, etc. But 2 boxing gets boring quick for me. And you can't alt-tab and do other stuff because charm breaks.

But yes, stupidly OP, and you pretty much out DPS a whole 'normal' group.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A reevaluation of charm in conjunction with setting a new, higher exp base rate would be alright but just nerfing charm reads to me as "make leveling take longer please" when that's already the shitty part of the game.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't know why people think leveling is so shitty... maybe because they do it the same exact way every time. But, is killing Naggy for the 500th time more exciting than your 10000th froglok?

Sterling

El Presidente
Quality of life change from many years ago. These servers use mostly the same everything as live servers so they wouldn't have the ability to change that even if they wanted.
No it was still 51+ at least through Phinny. So it's not that long ago that it was changed. But yeah, being stuck with just greater heal for classic is terrible so it's a good change.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nerfing charm wouldn't really make the game better, peoples e-egos are just getting hurt by the meta in classic/kunark.

Every TLP has had a forum post bitching about charm and it's already had a nerf with the focus effects being removed before luclin.

With spell haste you could stun a charm break and recharm before the stun wore off. Now you either have to take a hit or a death after the stun or stun>Mez>charm and have to wait for Mez to wear off.

It's really easy to get dead with an unlucky bash in hamlord with a hasted pet.

Charm isn't affecting raids at all and it's only making leveling faster to an extent, if you manage to have free reign of hamlord, frenzy and exe camps, sure you are absolutely killing it but like others have mentioned, you'll end up waiting for respawns eventually in a packed zone so it really doesn't make a difference.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't know why people think leveling is so shitty... maybe because they do it the same exact way every time. But, is killing Naggy for the 500th time more exciting than your 10000th froglok?

I don't want to level the same way every time but as these servers have progressed through the years changes have been made that have slowly sanded away alternative strategies. If leveling was just generally fast it wouldn't matter what you were doing. That's not what we've got. From level one onward all that's left is killing a ton of shit and doing it in a group AND having that group be in specific locations. Whatever does that the best is going to be the meta.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I wish solo grinding was more effective. On P99 it’s the ultimate grinding method, on TLP it’s a waste of time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
People need to accept TLPs for what they are. Every time people cry enough DPG will just come up with a worse solution and implement it and we have to deal with it forever.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Thats MMO life. You're in a rush to level so you can raid, you're in a rush to gear up for raids in classic so you can dominate in Kunark, then you rush through Kunark so you can roll through Velious and so on and so on.