Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't mind having a job like that, where I make a lot and have to travel all the time. Haven't been able to find one though.

Did you stop running them because of this guy or were you going to anyway? Like did this one guy destroy the Open Plat Raid economy by showing up and vastly out-spending everyone?

I can't imagine spending money like that on a prison server. Maybe a normal server if it made logistical/financial sense, but not a server where the whole thing is headed towards an eventual heat death.

I've been running plat raids on Agnarr (pretty much since Foaming stopped). Modsiw continued spending, and we've had 1 other whale come around who would drop like 30+ KR every plat raid for awhile. These dudes definitely just bought a bunch of Kronos. People absolutely are buying hoards of Kronos. I'm in Aradune gdkp discord and NTOV runs weekly are generating like 50 kronos worth of item sales.

Hell, there's still people dropping lots of money for KR on Agnarr. A new guild popped up and their leader paid my guild 20 kronos to kill Fennin and Coirnav to help them get elemental flags. That guy def just bought the Kronos. When Agnarr was progressing and I was a new player, I probably bought about... 15 kronos between Kunark and Velious to get gear for my 2 boxes, since at that time boxing wasn't super popular and most guilds (or maybe just mine?) didn't get boxes get raid loot.

Also, I'd add that there's another type of TLP player that JUST likes Classic and will roll on every TLP and grind classic EQ and quit. A lot of my friends do this, none of them make it past Kunark in any TLP I've seen. Personally, I've played on Mangler and Aradune heavily during Classic, but primarily to farm Kronos. Nothing beats 4-6kr for a FBSS/SSOY on Day 1-2 of a new TLP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been running plat raids on Agnarr (pretty much since Foaming stopped). Modsiw continued spending, and we've had 1 other whale come around who would drop like 30+ KR every plat raid for awhile. These dudes definitely just bought a bunch of Kronos. People absolutely are buying hoards of Kronos. I'm in Aradune gdkp discord and NTOV runs weekly are generating like 50 kronos worth of item sales.

Hell, there's still people dropping lots of money for KR on Agnarr. A new guild popped up and their leader paid my guild 20 kronos to kill Fennin and Coirnav to help them get elemental flags. That guy def just bought the Kronos. When Agnarr was progressing and I was a new player, I probably bought about... 15 kronos between Kunark and Velious to get gear for my 2 boxes, since at that time boxing wasn't super popular and most guilds (or maybe just mine?) didn't get boxes get raid loot.

Also, I'd add that there's another type of TLP player that JUST likes Classic and will roll on every TLP and grind classic EQ and quit. A lot of my friends do this, none of them make it past Kunark in any TLP I've seen. Personally, I've played on Mangler and Aradune heavily during Classic, but primarily to farm Kronos. Nothing beats 4-6kr for a FBSS/SSOY on Day 1-2 of a new TLP.
Well, Kunark pretty much sucks, so it's not surprising.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm not confident in DPGs ability to read at a 5th grade level. But i will say this Phinny was gaining a ton of players in the Classic-SoL era when botting is typically a problem. On the other hand I know Mangler started out with a massive population but lost a ton of it's player base. If were using these servers as some sort of case study on if botting is detrimental or not i would think whichever server had better retention during Classic-PoP would be the indicator too look at. I'm very confident Phinny is the winner in that regard, it was definitely the only TLP to grow rather then contract in the Classic-PoP stretch.
You can choose not to believe them but then you're left with your feelings and memories. You can believe something like the EQ resource listing of population levels (which has shown Mangler consistently as the TLP with the highest percentage of "High" population ranking), but then I guess you'd say DPG coded that status listing wrong too.

At least 18 guilds cleared DoDh in era on Mangler, possibly 20. And, in fact, that's actually been largely consistent for a while now. Granted, some guilds have dropped splits. From what I've seen, that guild completion rate is comparable to Phinigel. Mangler benefitted a good deal from Coirnav and Selo refugees (the current top guild on Mangler's core 20ish people are from Coirnav), covid-19 work from home, the FREE TLP period while in PoP, later starting TLPs and the poor Aradune launch. I don't think any other TLP has had the benefit of circumstances like Mangler. If botting was really that harmful to most people, I don't think it would have sustained and grown through PoP and LDoN when the bot armies were clearing open world elemental targets. All those people who were coming from other places got to benefit from the kronos being able to buy a bunch of twink gear, so I honestly think it's a wash.

I mean, I guess you could try and make the claim that a Mangler with botters quickly banned would have even more, or that there's less real people behind each character on Mangler, but there's no metric where you can say Mangler wasn't very highly populated with paying accounts throughout its lifespan. It didn't lose a "ton" of its player base, at least not in comparison to other TLPs. In PoP, Mangler crashed something like 30 times in 45 days or something ridiculous, and yet the population grew. Most people like to bitch about botting, but very few people actually quit over it, imo.

Also worth noting Mangler started when anniversary bonus XP was active and Phinigel started out with poor XP rates that were eventually increased and then ran into the anniversary event after only a few months, so there would be a natural skew resulting from that.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Blows my mind that people out there make a living off selling pixels in a 22 year old game... God bless the free market.

DickTrickle

Blows my mind that people out there make a living off selling pixels in a 22 year old game... God bless the free market.

I think it's only a handful of people that really clean up, but yeah the dudes boxing raids and six picks of SG are making some decent dough. The AE PLers make some money but they're basically wage slaves.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think we estimated that on Mangler during PoP Tubbins was probably puilling in 25k a month or so with all his Time Loot items he was selling. May be a little high, or a little low, but it's probably pretty close to the number.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I think it's only a handful of people that really clean up, but yeah the dudes boxing raids and six picks of SG are making some decent dough. The AE PLers make some money but they're basically wage slaves.
However it is done in game, be it plat farming or selling current live high-end items, is just pants on head loony to me to make EQ your literal JOB to put food on the table LoL... I respect it though, I'm not making fun in a negative way, it's just like.... holy shit..... imagine a first date over a bottle of wine and she goes, "so, what do you do?". Shit is wild, is all I'm saying.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

However it is done in game, be it plat farming or selling current live high-end items, is just pants on head loony to me to make EQ your literal JOB to put food on the table LoL... I respect it though, I'm not making fun in a negative way, it's just like.... holy shit..... imagine a first date over a bottle of wine and she goes, "so, what do you do?". Shit is wild, is all I'm saying.
No doubt. To be honest, I think the big dogs are making a full-time wage while probably working only part-time. Getting the scripts and VM software right is the big initial time investment but after that it's raiding on cooldown and being able to respond to open-world mob alerts (which honestly didn't happen much). Or in the case of the plat farmers just checking in occasionally to respond to GMs or unexpected deaths. I could see a 25-30 hour work week.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
How many first dates over bottles of wine do you think a professional EverQuest player goes on?

I honestly have no clue but in my head I imagine it’s a culture where the first date if it exists probably involves pizza/food stamps in a trailer park.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Also, I'd add that there's another type of TLP player that JUST likes Classic and will roll on every TLP and grind classic EQ and quit.

Guilty. Usually it is just that I don't want to blow more than a month of my life. Sometimes I'll go 2.

Selo was different though? I remember doing velious and kunark stuff.

I was trying to rely on my 2000's memories. "Hey this cave is great for armor gems. What is that giant bear thing? Arrrrrgh" splat

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
You can choose not to believe them but then you're left with your feelings and memories. You can believe something like the EQ resource listing of population levels (which has shown Mangler consistently as the TLP with the highest percentage of "High" population ranking), but then I guess you'd say DPG coded that status listing wrong too.

It's not about if i believe it or not. They have no way of calculating it. But it's really not important to if botting is bad or good for server population because as you admitted late on in your post other things factor into it. But what i know for sure is their was a ton of P99ers that i spoke to personally that came over to Phinny largely because the changes to boxing/botting enforcement.

Last edited:

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Shoot back on phinigel and agnarr, i had 4 groups farming ODS, I'd get 3-4 a day and they went for 8-10kr. Krono were like $12 back then, plus I'd sell the monk staff from disco, RBGs for 4kr, and mop up krono from plat/other items. It was awesome and easy passive income. I can imagine people actually doin work were makin a lot more but literally had to do nothing.

My buddy forced them to change the chancellor for the howling stones key, he was locking that down with the fire mage pets making 3-4kr per prod and sometimes the chancellor dropped 2 prods and what the chancellor respawned every 1.5hr? He locked that down for a few weeks? he made a killing, but you couldnt afk that, GM"s came to visit him every hour but he was never afk.

Even listing the krono on redguides was easy, then I had the PM or buy emails forward to my phone as a text and I could remote into my mule and send the krono and take money. Did it a few times at a red light, never had to be home.

If anyone came around me my alerts went off and it would text me and i would remote into my computer and I'd say hey then go afk again. GM checks were pretty rare back then maybe once a month. I've heard with the new servers GM's respond much faster and have less patience for replies.

Fortunately, WOW classic is way better, and the coder wars between mule and people cracking his mq2 was a pain in the ass sometimes i had a downtime of 2 weeks cracking his new codes.

But we had mq2 on day 1 of phinigel. And it wasnt the redguides lite version.

Last edited:

Doop

Silver Squire
Metalhead Metalhead

Ok anyone worth their salt isn't going to fall for that, especially folks who have been running MQ2 for ages. The Program itself isn't that complicated so it would obvious to everyone except people who had no idea what they are doing...so it's gonna catch the non problematic folks.

I do find that absolutely hilarious though.

Also this goes to show that, no, DPG really doesn't have any means to automatically detect MQ2 users which really sux the dickle

Last edited:

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Breaks my heart.

wowtlp.png

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
You turn red to blue and blue to red when you get a crackshot team to do to Everquest what Squeenix did to FF7. EQ Vanilla remake needs to happen. I dunno who / what / where / when but we all know the why... best MMORPG ever~

SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Metalhead Metalhead

Ok anyone worth their salt isn't going to fall for that, especially folks who have been running MQ2 for ages. The Program itself isn't that complicated so it would obvious to everyone except people who had no idea what they are doing...so it's gonna catch the non problematic folks.

I do find that absolutely hilarious though.

Also this goes to show that, no, DPG really doesn't have any means to automatically detect MQ2 users which really sux the dickle
I mean it could very well be, but does seem pretty suspicious imo.

DickTrickle

You turn red to blue and blue to red when you get a crackshot team to do to Everquest what Squeenix did to FF7. EQ Vanilla remake needs to happen. I dunno who / what / where / when but we all know the why... best MMORPG ever~

SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?
I'm not sure if that part is a joke but Smedley doesn't work there anymore, in case you didn't know.