Everquest TLP - Aradune and Rizlona Servers (Now with real customer service)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Linyen was a Wizard that was a warrior that switched in velious or luclin.

Also, maybe my favorite part about the whole thing was Dima posting about it and saying he knew how it was exactly 70 perfectly stacked corpses because he farmed that locate corpse wand and not because of SEQ.
Ahh that's right Linyen was Steve/MJ.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
Just give me oow lock tlp. Weeee

That's PEQ - been in OOW for like 4 years. They're the main branch/dev team for eqemu and been taking awhile to release DoN (cause of shared task system implementation.) Pretty fun time honestly. Box 54 and do everything yourself with an amazing MQ2 (e3) build they give you, or run less and join a guild. Generally everyone mains a warrior or sk but you spend time gearing your whole force. End game is essentially doing 1.5/2.0s for all your boxes and running tacvi/anguish/mpg but you wouldn't be there if you played solo for a few years. Don't play if you're going to be solo though. There's about 800 on average a day but that could literally be 20 people but I'd say average person plays 12 or 18. You really learn a LOT about the game soloing raids and it's not ez mode like TLP, but some things make it slightly easier than in era because they've allowed all lvl 70 aa's regardless of expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist

• 1Mother of God

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
yerm yerm Pretty sure you made out like a bandit for letting me take your camp with just a simple request. This has been a good read.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holy fuck. That's actually really interesting.

I can barely get on and raid on Aradune as is, so I figured this would be my last TLP for significant amount of time... The random loot idea is interesting, but no thanks doing full expac clears all week.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
But will it pull people off Aradune? After a month of PoP people might be tempted to do something new. The comments online seem about 50/50 right now.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It'll for absolute sure pull people off aradune and even rizlona. They always do. You just have to hope that you luck out like mangler and it pulls mostly people you wanted to leave anyway and you end up with a better server. Good luck!

• 1Like

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
The mad lads did it

Pretty sure this is why all these nerfs have been going in like AE'ing and nerfing the chain spawning mob in sleepers was in preparation for this new TLP. If you remember there was a lengthy phinny thread where a bunch of people were recommending randomized loot to get away from 1 person locking down a camp. Many of the replies were that if they randomized loot, people would just AE every single zone.

Everyone was sooooo sure that the AE nerfs were because of cryers and botters. Who was it again that kept posting it's likely it had nothing to do with that?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Holy fuck. That's actually really interesting.

I can barely get on and raid on Aradune as is, so I figured this would be my last TLP for significant amount of time... The random loot idea is interesting, but no thanks doing full expac clears all week.

That's a good point about full xpac clears every week. I think that will cause a lot of burnout in some expansions, but it really all depends on how granular the tiering is. Also wonder how they will adjust loot percentages. Like, the bard cloak from Shei in Akheva Ruins is super important to get for a bard but it has a pretty low drop rate, IIRC. Will be hard to try and get that out of era or if there will be a lot more in era because percentages get normalized? A lot to find out, but I guess that's kind of fun itself.

On the plus side, you may be able to move on to newer raids instead of doing certain older raids as you progress, which can be refreshing. Having to do an old raid that you've done a billion times for just one or two special items blows.

yerm

Pretty sure this is why all these nerfs have been going in like AE'ing and nerfing the chain spawning mob in sleepers was in preparation for this new TLP. If you remember there was a lengthy phinny thread where a bunch of people were recommending randomized loot to get away from 1 person locking down a camp. Many of the replies were that if they randomized loot, people would just AE every single zone.

Everyone was sooooo sure that the AE nerfs were because of cryers and botters. Who was it again that kept posting it's likely it had nothing to do with that?

In theory I think some changes were for sure, and it's likely that a forthcoming randomizer was on their mind when they pushed these changes, but I'd struggle to agree that it's THE reason for the change. At best, they did it to appease the whiners on the grounds that "well this will make those whiners happy and be good for the future server too!"

In practice there isn't a lot of named farming done via ae. The major ae spots just were not targeting a lot of mobs with a rare tag with the sole exception of the sides of griegs. AEing seb would see a decent chunk but not a significant amount and a lot of the higher named further in would be skipped; the money there was gems, spells, and random drops like ods, which were not from named. Deep was the biggest ae spot by a landslide and very light on named to trash ratio although there's a few. At best... the possibility of pulling ae out where it wasn't being used before is there, but its not a big hit if your slumlording low content. For example if you are plat grinding off grimlings in hollowshade you don't need to stun at all. If you are crashing all of lguk onto you, they bunch, so one stun followed by a long cooldown tends to be fine assuming you're 60.

That's a good point about full xpac clears every week. I think that will cause a lot of burnout in some expansions, but it really all depends on how granular the tiering is. Also wonder how they will adjust loot percentages. Like, the bard cloak from Shei in Akheva Ruins is super important to get for a bard but it has a pretty low drop rate, IIRC. Will be hard to try and get that out of era or if there will be a lot more in era because percentages get normalized? A lot to find out, but I guess that's kind of fun itself.

On the plus side, you may be able to move on to newer raids instead of doing certain older raids as you progress, which can be refreshing. Having to do an old raid that you've done a billion times for just one or two special items blows.

EQ being EQ, there will be plenty of autistic top to bottom farming and even batphoning. In practice, FV guilds tended to have the best loot flow below the very top by a wide margin. You just don't need to meth raid for your recruits and alts at even close to the same level. People may farm every last MOTM in an expac because they want their pd robe or abashis or whatever from said expac, but at a just generally being geared level, it's impossible for me to believe the notrade removal won't result in LESS need for raiding in total.

Edit - I actually think there's a HUGE exception here I hadn't realized. Plane of time. That whole expansion is overwhelmingly topheavy and guilds always just go to the last zone where the very best items drop from specific mobs. This server is going to assumedly have time loot popping down the chain, but that means time itself is not a candyland anymore at all. You'll need to actually mass raid pop to get your time gear. That could actually suck even more than 5 months in pop already sucks!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The real question is are we going to get a Atabishi vs Zaide show down?

We've had AoS vs OGC, AoS vs Faceless, OGC vs Faceless, Atabishi vs Mabbu, all that's really left now for a new server is Atabishi vs Zaide.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
In practice there isn't a lot of named farming done via ae. The major ae spots just were not targeting a lot of mobs with a rare tag with the sole exception of the sides of griegs. AEing seb would see a decent chunk but not a significant amount and a lot of the higher named further in would be skipped; the money there was gems, spells, and random drops like ods, which were not from named. Deep was the biggest ae spot by a landslide and very light on named to trash ratio although there's a few. At best... the possibility of pulling ae out where it wasn't being used before is there, but its not a big hit if your slumlording low content. For example if you are plat grinding off grimlings in hollowshade you don't need to stun at all. If you are crashing all of lguk onto you, they bunch, so one stun followed by a long cooldown tends to be fine assuming you're 60.

Dunno how recently you've played on TLP's outside of Selos, but AE'ing these days starts in classic. Even AE powerleveling services run in 6 different classic zones in era that I know of that were all using AE stun. Uguk, Lguk, Sola and Solb all have a lot of nameds being pulled and all 4 of those zones are consistently AE'd in era. For whatver random reason on Aradune in Classic the GM's picked AE'ing in Sola as their focus. It was pretty common to get suspended for AE'ing in there during classic.

• 1Barf

yerm

We had normal non-ae in sola that basically kept it all dead in every pick except maybe one. Weird. My path was the "low pop" servers rather than aradune/mangler.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
I guess they could add the 4 mob limit that they have on so many aoe type spells. Mage/druid rains were awesome. Now, doesn't happen. Be glad that you can still aoe stun rather than 'stuns up to 4 mobs around you for 2 seconds'.

When you put modern gamers in old games you'll see a lot of this emergent gameplay. We play harder.

I wonder how we will use other game mechanics that get changes made.

Last edited: