Expeditions Conquistador

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So uh this came out today. Its a pretty fully fleshed out SRPG on PC I believe only at the moment, less than 20 bucks, on Steam

http://conquistadorthegame.com/

Expeditions: Conquistador is a tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure. Conquistador is set in a rarely visited part of history which is rife with mystery, political intrigue, and good old-fashioned violence.

You will take on the role of a Spanish Conquistador in South America around 1520. Select the members of your expedition and explore campaign maps based on the actual topological maps of Hispaniola and Mexico. Through intricately branching dialogue, you will engage with the characters and situations that you encounter across these uncharted areas, and when it?s time to spill blood, a tactical combat system of great depth and brutality will let you control your individual troops in battle.

Combat is intimate and detailed, and failure has great consequences. Every expedition member has a face, a past, a set of personality traits, and of course a combat role ? their morale will change depending on your decisions, they will chime in when you?re weighing your options, and if they fall in battle, their injuries will carry over to the world map, where they must be treated by your doctors until they?re back on their feet. Should you fail to treat your expedition members, they will die and be gone for good.

Choice and consequence is central to the play experience of Conquistador. As the leader of the expedition, you will face difficult decisions about the use of your troops and your resources, as well as how to engage with the factions of the savage New World. Will you defy history and be a diplomatic envoy of peace? Or will you be a ruthless conqueror determined to lay all of the Aztec Empire at your feet?

Its set in the historical period of the Conquistadors, obviously. You're conquering the poor helpless natives. But there's no magic, no fantasy, that's a nice break from things in this genre. Classes are soldier, hunter, scholar, doctor, scout. Weapons are polearms, swords, arquebuses, bows, daggers, etc.

Some videos

I played through the combat tutorial and got out of the first town, its very much a simulation style game. You have to camp, assign things like scouts, hunters, guards, etc. at night, distribute and manage rations. The complexity and depth looks pretty solid. Apparently it was a kickstarted game, made with a measely 70 grand, but from what I played of it, even if its not too long (no clue on game length looks like it could be a huge game just not sure with only one hour in so not going to try to guesstimate it) it looks pretty slick.

Apparently there's multiplayer too.

So yeah....Just getting the word out there. Looks fun.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I picked this up today. It's pretty fun so far. Combat is a mix of Final Fantasy Tactics and Blood Bowl, and the exploring part is varied enough to keep you engaged.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its a little rough around the edges, but I like it.

Its definitely got the strategy components down solid. Its actually challenging.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
This is getting great reviews.

Cool that it has an Ironman mode. All strat games should come with this to stop constant reloading when things go wrong.

Oo__sl

shitlord
Started an ironman game on normal difficulty. Let's see how it goes.

Game seems pretty good so far. Party management with limited rations and all that make it feel more like an exploration game than many others. Overland map is kind of annoying, probably something to do with camera controls. I wonder whether the tactical fights (while good) scale up a bit, or will I be sieging Tenochtitlan in epic 6v10 fights. Also, what's irksome about the setting is that the devs decided to include into their 1520's New World gender roles from 2010's Sweden. Some anachronism is inevitable, but I wish they had gone with something little less ahistorical there (say, maybe 1980's Sweden).

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The gender thing bothered me as well. That said, female conquistadors did exist.

Random thoughts on the game:

As far as the tactical gameplay goes, it almost always comes down to being able to funnel your opponents down to one or two single wide entry points. Generally, the hardest fights were the ones where you couldn't prepare before hand. Most of the hardest engagements came down to large 9-12 vs 6 fights (in two battles I can remember, funny enough the only two battles I had to reload in) where the enemy were grouped up together rather than spread across a map in a relatively open area.

As far as my go to group comp went, it was something like 2x soldiers, 2x scouts, 1 doctor 1 hunter. If I were to play next time around I'd try a scholar rather than hunter, or just go for another doctor.

Hunters, in my opinion, are just too weak even fully upgraded. There aren't many maps that you can fully abuse the terrain to a ranged units benefit rather than the inverse and they seem to miss way more off than the % would suggest.

Don't bother spreading equipment beyond your initial 6 members you are going to use. Also, with the exception of one or two people for tinkering and herbalism, focus on getting people their skill cap in guarding, hunting, patroling. You can lose a unbelievable amount of shit if your guard isn't sufficient.

If I were to do a ironman run on normal wouldn't be that hard. Even on hard, it probably wouldn't be too difficult. There are a couple difficulty options that would make the game way harder though, like sudden death.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I found scholars to be pretty terrible. The combat overall reminds me of the Fire Emblem games, and a support unit (like the scholar tries to be) is insanely useful in these games; here not so much. You can't field enough units to justify the loss of a viable combat unit, especially since the scholar early on will only boost the movement of another unit by two tiles.

In the FE games, these support units would give someone else an additional turn, which is actually useful. I think i'm going to restart and not use a scholar at all, but i guess i will run into some kind of event where i would benefit from having one. Maybe i pick one and just drag him along.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
To me it seems like the best team would be 1 warrior, 3 scouts and 2 doctors. Maybe even just 4 scouts but i don't know if you would really want 4 scouts for non-combat purposes. Scouts are just insanely good. You can sneak around everyone to flank them and once your scouts are veterans they can do really nice flank damage. You can basically 2-shot anyone other than a really heavily armored warrior by flanking.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I beat it mostly using 3 warriors, 2 hunters, and 1 doctor. Hunters are pretty weak though. I was basically just going on inertia by time I got to Mexico.

I'm curious about alternate endings. I googled and got nothing. What can you achieve? I kept telling everyone I was going to backstab my native allies and take all of Mexico for Spain, but at the end I didn't get the opportunity.
frown.png

frown.png

Kaosu

I beat it mostly using 3 warriors, 2 hunters, and 1 doctor. Hunters are pretty weak though. I was basically just going on inertia by time I got to Mexico.

I'm curious about alternate endings. I googled and got nothing. What can you achieve? I kept telling everyone I was going to backstab my native allies and take all of Mexico for Spain, but at the end I didn't get the opportunity.
frown.png
Alternative endings depend on certain characters (I think about this one), the amount of money you have by the end of the game when you return to spain, and when you get your fortress to maximum capacity for soldiers, enough for a battalion. The growth is entirely dependent on many buildings you have and how much time has passed.

As far as 4 scouts go, stun from soldiers is too good to pass up. Native warriors are actually better than soldiers due to a better variety of skills plus stun. Also block + 60% damage mitigation is nice.

frown.png

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, Stun is ridiculous. It carried me for a while.

I'll probably play through the entire thing again after a few patches. Allegedly there are bugs present atm. Like I didn't get to finish my quests in Hispaniola because the final fight was going down and the town changed. I read that you can camp outside town for a few days and it will revert, but someone responded that they camped for two weeks with no change. So I need to avoid the events leading up to the end of Hispaniola to see what I missed or just wait for it to be sorted.

Also right now there is a "scout stat" bug wherein anytime you reload a save your scout stat reverts to base 5, and this is being addressed internally. I didn't begin reading about the game until I beat it so I'm not certain if that just hits everyone or what. I wasn't paying attention to my scout stat.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know if the event that kidnaps one of your members and gives you two weeks to rescue them is a random expedition member or is it set? Because when it happened to me my highest ranking member got kidnapped and I couldn't find them before the two weeks so I lost them. Kind of irritating.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I had heard that it was character specific but I'm not sure, to be completely honest.

lindz

#DDs
I've been enjoying this but the damn thing keeps crashing my computer over and over again. Getting super frustrating.

Szlia

A general gameplay question: all the part about managing the injured, does that really happen or does that simply mean you reload battles that don't go perfectly?

Kaosu

Depending on the situation (injured through event or battle) a party member can become unuseable until he is healed by a doctor. If you don't have medicine or neglect him, he'll eventually worsen and then die. On normal gameplay, its almost a nonfactor as long as you have medicine.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
In my first game I lost a party member to disease, eventually got ambushed and lost my first random battle, lost a member to an infected wound and another to illness, won the second ambush just prior to a mutiny which left me with 2 party members one of which died shortly thereafter from a spider bite.

Is it just me or is this the best game since Oregon Trail?

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I let my healer go off to seek fame and fortune for a week (which I knew I would be punished for) and was relatively clueless as to how the camping and combat worked. I fully expect not lose control of the situation for at least 20 more minutes on my next attempt, or at least until I have to ford a river.