Factorio

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yay. 118 hours to my 2nd space science pack... lol. Now to scale it better.

View attachment 523899
I really need to get better at managing resources to/from orbit, I've got gobs of shit I thought I needed like 6k blue circuits and then run out of iron plates every time.

Think soon I'm going to sit down and learn how to do the signal stuff from orbit and back. Depending how comfortable I get with that will start to automate some more on the surface to provide materials as requested maybe depending on what it is. Have a laundry list of things to do still in orbit though just for cleanup.

How random are the other environments? Did I read it right that there are 600 potential environments? Once of the asteroid belts has what looks like a crashed ship. Guessing everyone gets that to seed some of those concepts.
Good luck on the circuits for transmitting stuff. It's pretty rewarding to get it all to work. I think the way I did it is dumb but I don't want to redo it all.

For randomization I don't know. I think you're guaranteed to have:
  • The same nauvis orbit busted ass station
  • The crashed ship (rush it for an early set of logistics)
  • An oil moon next to Nauvis
  • The nearest planet to the star will have no biters and have Vulcanite
  • I'd wager (but don't know) that there will be a planet or moon with every special resource
  • You're not guaranteed to have planets/moons with every resource as primary. The only one I'm missing is Copper
I kind of regret not looking into this more when I started SE, and then getting a good seed that had a better allotment of planets. Getting a Vitamelange, Iridium, Cryonite, Holmium and Imersite planet (instead of moons) would make core mining much more powerful. I have one small Vitamelange moon, but it's not the end of the world since the patches are so huge. I don't know the rules about resources vs waterless, but if it's possible to get water on all my planets/moons I wanted that'd be huuuge. I think I just need to import water to my Vulcanite and one other outpost (which I actually am now getting from Water Ice via space elevator, which is cool)

In some way having a random seed adds diversity which is fiiiiiine. Rolling a hundred seeds, cheating to see what resources are available and then picking a seed that works is 100% cheating and makes the game much easier and boring.

I think by the time I start to run into the limits of the planets I'll be exploring other stars and setting up shop on a massive Vitamelange planet might be fun. From the numbers the logistics around Naqium mining is soooo huge it overshadows everything else.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I finished scanning Koskomino, my first planet I'm eradicating biters on. It's huge, a radius of 8049 and with a threat of 33% that's a loooot of biters. Going to be a while even with 130 GW or whatever of beam emitters exterminating bugs. I'm not ramping up more solar emitters because I still don't want a huge cache of solar panels I don't need and the cost of having biters just isn't that big of a deal.

One patch is visible. There are ... 4 thousand patches? If each patch takes a beam emitter 15 minutes to clear, that's 4000 * 15 / 6 = 10,000 minutes or 166 hours... This planet is waterless, so no trees or grass (which absorbs polution, so as the beam emitter goes through and burns the biters and creates pollution, most of that pollution is absorbed by nearby biters, creating more biters.... I don't know how biters spawn without pollution being introduced to them.

koskochallenge.jpg

1712792710604.png

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I toyed with the idea of compressing trains even further and tried adding multiple inputs to my train. I just built my Matter 1 science using this idea and am pretty excited about it.

53649918868_5d1fec86d0_o.jpg

There are three train stations that have three inputs each and one that has two inputs, letting me directly feed these complex recipes without a bunch of stations.

1712957335728.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So I learned tonight you can hold left control while viewing the map from a train UI, and it'll show you the paths it can take as you move the mouse along to troubleshoot bad train signals, allowing you to see exactly where it can't path to/through. Can even click to set and have it go to a temporary destination. That might have been helpful information 200+ hours of gameplay ago.

Tuco Tuco how many hours are you in on this run? Think our save is at around 180, but that's ticking when any of the 3 of us working on it are in the game.

We're on 2 planets now, we're mostly through space 1 + red space research but have some work to do and need to get prepared for the next. Time to expand the orbital platform and scale things better. I finally automated nav sats instead of occasionally making them and that sent everything into overdrive and ran us out of existing iron resources real quick 🤣 .

Been setting up cybersyn, super cool in our limited usage. Starting to finally aggregate the regularly shipped off materials and products in a central area and going to learn how to automate a bit more of that. Have Iron and Vulcanite outposts currently being developed. We're really starting to have issues w/ enemies though. We installed Natural Evolution because a friend or two aren't big into factory building and thought we might get some more traction with them playing if they posed more of a threat. Now they're not playing and we're dealing with shit that's immune to fire, explosive, dropping mines or splitting into a bunch of little bugs on death, etc. Pain in the ass. The AAI vehicles are like playing a clunky Command and Conquer though so at least there's that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I learned tonight you can hold left control while viewing the map from a train UI, and it'll show you the paths it can take as you move the mouse along to troubleshoot bad train signals, allowing you to see exactly where it can't path to/through. Can even click to set and have it go to a temporary destination. That might have been helpful information 200+ hours of gameplay ago.

Tuco Tuco how many hours are you in on this run? Think our save is at around 180, but that's ticking when any of the 3 of us working on it are in the game.

We're on 2 planets now, we're mostly through space 1 + red space research but have some work to do and need to get prepared for the next. Time to expand the orbital platform and scale things better. I finally automated nav sats instead of occasionally making them and that sent everything into overdrive and ran us out of existing iron resources real quick 🤣 .

Been setting up cybersyn, super cool in our limited usage. Starting to finally aggregate the regularly shipped off materials and products in a central area and going to learn how to automate a bit more of that. Have Iron and Vulcanite outposts currently being developed. We're really starting to have issues w/ enemies though. We installed Natural Evolution because a friend or two aren't big into factory building and thought we might get some more traction with them playing if they posed more of a threat. Now they're not playing and we're dealing with shit that's immune to fire, explosive, dropping mines or splitting into a bunch of little bugs on death, etc. Pain in the ass. The AAI vehicles are like playing a clunky Command and Conquer though so at least there's that.
I'm at almost 700 hours. It's on the higher side of K2SE players from what I gather. I barely played Factorio before starting it and am playing ineffectively. I've realized that although agonizing over the details of each factory is mostly a waste of time, it's the part I enjoy the most. I've rebuilt my main base trying different options several times and started on Death World settings, making the start slow. Ramping up ridiculous production, making massive factories and having to expand on Nauvis cost me probably 200 hours :D It's all part of the fun though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of spending hours fixing things that aren't broken, I rehauled my rocket transmissions from my mall on Nauvis. Like most SE players, in my factory each planet outpost has its own rocket landing that receives all the items for the outpost. Unlike most players, I built the Nauvis side to have a unique inserter for each resource that's needed and one requester chest per three inserters. The inserter would then only insert if that resources was needed.

1713021463199.png

It works fine, but it's larger than it needs to be, has more entities, creates an additional in the requester chests and is slow at transmitting any given resources. Worst of all, it takes more time to set everything up or change. Now that I know better, most players do something waaaay smarter that uses a requester chest that you can set the signal of (which I didn't know was possible when I designed the above method), I didn't read this page too closely but it looks similar to what I came up with this morning: Guide: Rocket Circuitry - Space Exploration

1713021657174.png

The thing I'm doing that's probably uncommon is I discovered by accident you can load fuel from the back of the rocket silo, and I use bob's inserters to ultra-dump any materials from the small requester chest in the top right (It's like, hundreds of items a second).

If anyone wants me to go into detail on the four circuits I can, but they basically send the needed items from my outpost to the requester chest if the rocket is built and has empty space.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man, I unlocked the space elevator finally and just completely stalled out. Basically having to retool my entire Nauvis and orbit bases. There are just so many fucking resources to manage now. I'm almost done researching wide beacons, which will likely make me redo a bunch more stuff, and after that I've got the pylon substations on deck. Although hopefully after that, I can pretty well cement in place most of the stuff I've already got.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Man, I unlocked the space elevator finally and just completely stalled out. Basically having to retool my entire Nauvis and orbit bases. There are just so many fucking resources to manage now. I'm almost done researching wide beacons, which will likely make me redo a bunch more stuff, and after that I've got the pylon substations on deck. Although hopefully after that, I can pretty well cement in place most of the stuff I've already got.
The redo never ends for me, lol. This entire game I've been thinking, "OK I unlocked XXX, now I can build the last of these factories". Then I either unlock a new tech, change demand or just learn more about the game and then look at my previously built masterpiece in disgust. The introduction of UPS cost as a key constraint completely changed how I build. Maximizing direct insertions and minimizing storage space has driven most of my builds thus far, but that 60 UPS is just to sweet and tempermental. I want to get a new CPU just to keep at 60 UPS.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think my problem with the space elevator was that it really meant a complete redo of just about everything. Completely tear down the rocket circuitry and then setup a train station for every single resource. I had sort of already started a small train network in space, but it was really just transporting fluids around. Luckily I had also put everything into city blocks in nOrbit a bit ago.

It also led to all sorts of lockups on my space sciences. The first was thermofluid which had previously been probably my biggest shortage. Once I had tons of the products finally coming in to make it, my system was flooded and the outputs ended up blocked with 25C thermofluid (this also coincided with switching to the 10x recipe which wastes way less).Turns out the pumps I put in between my train stations and science factories was a mistake as I kept trucking in new fluid when I didn't need it. Removing the pump fixed that one. Then I had an issue with the junk cards clogging shit up, first because of fluid in the output, and then I just didn't have enough machines to eat up the good cards (I had previously doubled my card processing setup for the rough cards and that came back to bite me).

But yeah, I'm finally getting over the hump with it all. Setup new blocks to actually process all the outpost stuff (ingots to plates, and then stuff like holmium cables/solenoids, heavy girder/bearing) instead of just doing them all in one mashed up spot next to my rocket. I also finally got around to delivery cannons between all my outposts to get vulcanite blocks going. Still need a beryl block on Nauvis, but I'm also against the clock because my cryo planet is almost tapped out.

There's always something. SE is really a ridiculous mod. It's really one where you need to think of things happening in dozens of hours versus one hour.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Behold, Chungus S.S., which will take me beyond the stars.

1713228882471.png

I'm trying to figure out how to get to an asteroid field in deep space to get that sweet, sweet naquitite and have no idea what I'm doing. At least this is an embarrasing piece of turd I know sucks from the get go.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think my problem with the space elevator was that it really meant a complete redo of just about everything. Completely tear down the rocket circuitry and then setup a train station for every single resource. I had sort of already started a small train network in space, but it was really just transporting fluids around. Luckily I had also put everything into city blocks in nOrbit a bit ago.

It also led to all sorts of lockups on my space sciences. The first was thermofluid which had previously been probably my biggest shortage. Once I had tons of the products finally coming in to make it, my system was flooded and the outputs ended up blocked with 25C thermofluid (this also coincided with switching to the 10x recipe which wastes way less).Turns out the pumps I put in between my train stations and science factories was a mistake as I kept trucking in new fluid when I didn't need it. Removing the pump fixed that one. Then I had an issue with the junk cards clogging shit up, first because of fluid in the output, and then I just didn't have enough machines to eat up the good cards (I had previously doubled my card processing setup for the rough cards and that came back to bite me).

But yeah, I'm finally getting over the hump with it all. Setup new blocks to actually process all the outpost stuff (ingots to plates, and then stuff like holmium cables/solenoids, heavy girder/bearing) instead of just doing them all in one mashed up spot next to my rocket. I also finally got around to delivery cannons between all my outposts to get vulcanite blocks going. Still need a beryl block on Nauvis, but I'm also against the clock because my cryo planet is almost tapped out.

There's always something. SE is really a ridiculous mod. It's really one where you need to think of things happening in dozens of hours versus one hour.
yep.

And if you're focusing on one thing, you'll be tempted to overbuild it to shit just to "finish" it before moving on. OR endlessly tweaking and watching it while ignoring the rest of your factory. Or building it and it'll break immediately because of one wrong circuit or wrong inserter. And if you set up alarms you never get shit done because you're constantly context switching.

I love it.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I knew this day would come.

1713260766669.png

(My Energy Glaive trailed through one of my outposts, destroying it)

• 1Worf

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Heh. We just had our most damaging CME. Think I will probably stop using the Factorissimo buildings until we can manage these better.

1713282387419.png

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I was kinda hoping that when you rebuilt the building there'd be something inside, but losing the building just deletes the contents entirely.

I do appreciate the randomness and risk. This experience will get me to start blueprinting the contents of buildings when im done setting them up I think.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
nerds

(I somewhat wish I had the extra time for some Factorio SE right now)

... im playing it and wish I had the time for it, lol.

This is probably the most complex game my adhd brain can get into, while I envy people who can get into the grand strategy 4x stuff.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, im never getting to the point with this game that you guys are, even on a conceptual level, lol. We're fumbling through establishing a foothold on the vulcanite planet and im just now setting up our first supercomputer in orbit, all spaghetti-like. Also peeled off some enriched iron to start making our first iron bars. So quaint compared to the amazing stuff in this thread.

For whatever reason I want to setup some nuclear, but it looks like we'd maybe only use it during a CME, and we have so many planets for the CME to choose from that it's unlikely to hit us anyways. May go ahead and finish a 2-reactor setup and then have it just sitting there ready to go just in case. We've been mining uranium for days and have like 120 of the rare one. I get anxiety thinking about turning it on and wasting resources since our solar power output dwarfs everything and it would only run at night basically right now, where wind and 11gj of accumulators normally handle the load.

My buddy is on the vulcanite planet and I told him he didn't need any defenses because it was 0% threat. Apparently he said he managed to find bad guys somewhere anyways and they nearly killed him, lol.

This is so meager compared to what you guys are doing, lol.

View attachment 523407

Wow, those sure were simpler times (and yeah, still so far to go). Making the first 3 space science packs. The ship is the one I salvaged from an asteroid belt last week. That's pretty neat traveling back to Nauvis orbit w/ it w/ the hazards and stuff. Haven't done much else with it because I only just researched the collider building needed to refuel it this evening and didn't know if it would let me land on the surface, or if I'd be able to take back off if I did and waste it.

1713515487752.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just made the mistake of updating my mods, which has been safe for Space Exploration 0.6. Unfortunately Earandel changed a bunch of shit including making vitamelange production way harder and I have to redo a bunch of shit. I guess this only impacts Krastorio2 users.

I'm trying to debate where it'll be better to painstakingly revert my mods...

One hour later I'm back in business. Will probably upgrade later when I want to redo my vitamelange planet.

Last edited: