Factorio

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure I have it in me to try SE. Krastorio 2 is fucking ridiculous so far. Although part of it is that I'm also trying base game stuff out that I never did in vanilla like nuclear. But there's just an obscene amount of shit. SE just sounds frustrating.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure I have it in me to try SE. Krastorio 2 is fucking ridiculous so far. Although part of it is that I'm also trying base game stuff out that I never did in vanilla like nuclear. But there's just an obscene amount of shit. SE just sounds frustrating.
K2 + SE is only fun if you *really* like the core gameplay loop of building factories. Like, you gotta enjoy building endless amounts of unique factories like Rufus Hussey enjoyed slingshots.

K2 and SE compound each other because K2 gives you new technologies to build better factories and SE is giving you new areas and challenges to build factories in. I'm using a city blocks build on almost all my planets and have some 100+ blocks, but it's rare that I'll copy-paste a block more than twice. What's fun is that around the point I just crossed, the new technologies are allowing me to shrink my Nauvis base. I'm embracing the idea of relying on satellite planets for production and am going to build a mega factory. I just unlocked the advanced chemical factory and am close to unlocking wide area beacons and plan to make a block that can build a lot of different things and copy-paste it to all my planets, which will allow me to shrink Nauvis even further.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My ADD got the best of me and I started up an SE game. It's definitely slow going. I'm 4 hours in and just barely getting set up (have iron/copper/steel on a bus and a makeshift red/green lab setup). No mall, nothing else automated. It's a shit show.

I think I was about 24-25 hours into K2. It's fun but yeah, just so many fucking factories and random new stuff. I had started dicking around with mineral water and struggling to figure out where to put everything that wasn't a spaghetti mess.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
figure out where to put everything that wasn't a spaghetti mess.
I... don't understand. You mean we're not supposed to make spaghetti?

But seriously, here's the energy 1 factory I just made in space. One thing that's true in Factorio that's 100% true in software development (and probably a lot of engineering) is that even if you try to plan it all out, you'll probably screw something up and need to redo parts of it to clean it up. I botched how I did my ingot->plates, and forgot that I needed holmium plates at the very end.

But why clean up energy 1 when I can make the energy 2 factory?

energy1_result.jpg

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
spaghetti lines are the best, it just shows just how much people "don't" understand how complex it is.

There is a lot that goes into the whole thing... and that doesn't include the Naq processing .. holy fuck the miners for it are so fucking slow..

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Has the factorio team detailed what their vision of the base game space update is going to be? I'd be happy if they ripped off SE mod but maybe slim it down by about 70%.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Has the factorio team detailed what their vision of the base game space update is going to be? I'd be happy if they ripped off SE mod but maybe slim it down by about 70%.

I think that's basically what they're going for. They do weekly updates on their website and they've gone over a good bit of their design intentions. They even have the maker of the SE mods working on it with them. I'm psyched for it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
They've been showing a lot of the stuff over the past like 2-3 months all about what changes are coming with the Space expansion pack/base game, check the Friday Facts either on wube or steam.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, in detail. Here's the last two that talk about one of the planets and is a pretty interesting read. Friday Facts #398 - Fulgora | Factorio Friday Facts #399 - Trash to Treasure | Factorio

Space Exploration would be muuuuuch easier if the rockets were cheaper and smaller. The rockets in Dyson Sphere Program operate more like logistics robots and are very inexpensive to maintain.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Unlike the last couple pics, here's something I'm actually quite proud of. The way I send products to my outpost planets is through a rocket with a ton of requester chests in it. They are all contained inside my mega mall that makes most of the buildings.

mall.jpg

I've got.... 11 outposts right now, each one has a dedicated rocket cargo silo

launchers.jpg

shire.jpg

here's a sample outpost lander on Shire, my planet that produces Vitamelange. It has constant combinators that output the # of stuff I want to keep on hand. The tools in Space Exploration let me effectively build on any of these planets, and this pipeline allows me to quickly send stuff to them. Because I need to send a steady supply of rocket parts, there's enough rocket transmission to these planets to send additional buildings, artillery shells, etc.
1709334402717.png

From browsing the SE discord and reddit, a lot of people have similar ways of doing this, but I haven't quite seen anyone abuse the Bob's Inserters mod as thoroughly as I have to do it quite like this. Most people use something like the below reddit post, which might be better or worse? I dunno.

• 1Hodjing

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm still pretty overwhelmed by SE. Almost 15 hours in now.

My base is a fucking mess. I can't decide if I want to rebuild it to clean it up, or if things in the next phase of the game will make that unnecessary. Since I haven't played though, I have no clue. I made the rocket launcher silo or whatever though, although I haven't done the stuff to send them up. But that's keeping me from the orange science. Outside of the new sub-combines (and meteors), that's the first part where it feels unfamiliar since I don't know what comes next.

I also haven't messed with the core mining yet, but since it takes 20mW and I've been running everything on like 16-17, I feel like I'm probably not at that phase yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm still pretty overwhelmed by SE. Almost 15 hours in now.
Being overwhelmed is the natural state and won't change.

This thread has some good advice on it.

Only thing I'll add is something I tell myself

1. everything you're building is shit and will need to be redone. Both because you're going to ignorantly build spaghetti and because upgrades will make it obsolete
  2. don't overbuild.

AFter I repeat that, I then spend way too much time crafting overly efficient, overly large factories.

Another thing that made the game more enjoyable is embracing city blocks.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If I was gonna do it again Space elevator , with the Solars and the Beam Former's/Heaters you can make massive amounts of power just from Nauvis Orbit of its star..

I mean the Stargate end requires like 8(I think if I remember right) Power Beam Former's(I can't remember the name of the actual "Monolith" power system for the Stargate)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Look at how this guy gets his materials on and off his space ship. I'm tempted to steal this idea in some form once I start using spaceships.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I haven't played Factorio in forever. The other day I had a video come up on youtube. Totally random mod. Random materals, random quantity, and something else random I forget. I watched it. Looked like a total pain in the ass but kind of interesting. Needed pistols to make bullets was the odd.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm 34 hours into SE and I think I've spent the last 10 hours just trying to figure out a layout for city blocks (thanks a lot, Tuco!). Now I'm trying to figure out how to actually implement the fucking things. I've got 6 technologies left running on the orange rocket science and then I really need to get my ass into space. But I think it'll probably be another 10+ hours before I get the city blocks actually going so...yeah.

Probably should've figured out the city block thing on a normal playthrough.

Edit: Oh, I did wonder...do I need to use some kind of LTN for this shit? I honestly barely remember how a train network works, and now I'm really compounding the issues. I don't actually know what LTN is for. I have the blueprints, which leads me to believe at one point I did, but that was many years ago.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm 34 hours into SE and I think I've spent the last 10 hours just trying to figure out a layout for city blocks (thanks a lot, Tuco!). Now I'm trying to figure out how to actually implement the fucking things. I've got 6 technologies left running on the orange rocket science and then I really need to get my ass into space. But I think it'll probably be another 10+ hours before I get the city blocks actually going so...yeah.

Probably should've figured out the city block thing on a normal playthrough.

Edit: Oh, I did wonder...do I need to use some kind of LTN for this shit? I honestly barely remember how a train network works, and now I'm really compounding the issues. I don't actually know what LTN is for. I have the blueprints, which leads me to believe at one point I did, but that was many years ago.
I use LTN. I think Cybersyn is more popular now.
Both work with Space Exploration's elevator.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just too retarded to figure it out. I don't know how long I spent trying to figure out how to set up a train station where it'd require that, say, copper ore be > 8k and for trains to go to the next in the network. Or to get it so my train would do something other than just drive around in circles waiting for it to finally open up.

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I haven't played Factorio in forever. The other day I had a video come up on youtube. Totally random mod. Random materals, random quantity, and something else random I forget. I watched it. Looked like a total pain in the ass but kind of interesting. Needed pistols to make bullets was the odd.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Look at how this guy gets his materials on and off his space ship. I'm tempted to steal this idea in some form once I start using spaceships.

I would do it how Laurence does it. Trains that size you are just asking for trouble.