Fallout 4

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The settlements do indeed defend themselves, if given ludicrous amounts of defense relative to their resources since the last patch. But you still really want to go defend them when its possible. Reason being, the game will randomly break several items in the settlement to simulate the aftermath of the attack. If the RNG chooses a couple random crops or a turret or two? No big deal, provided you have the level two community leader perk so repair parts are readily available. If it decides to kill your generators, then you end up with a zero defense, possibly no water (if you are like me and use purifiers whenever possible) and a spiraling happiness. So the settlement will get sacked again fairly soon after and happiness drops like a stone. Without fast travel, its very possible that the happiness level might skunk to the point that the settlement drops allegiance with you before you can physically get there. This is especially true of places that the game is hard coded to favor attacking (Sanctuary, The Castle, The Slog, and wherever you stash your Power Armor) that are pretty spread out.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Fast travel completely defeats the point of a survival mode.
You mean fast travel completely defeats the point of Bethesda's limited and arguably archaic version of survival mode.

What's strategically difficult about running 15 minutes through shit you already cleared as opposed to just fast traveling? It's like the arguments that limiting inventory space makes a game more difficult because you have to plan, when really it just means you have to make more trips.

I guess my problem is I'd rather the game be more interesting and engaging than simply harder. Of course, making a game more interesting and engaging is hard, so instead we get tired, surface level mechanics like having to save at a checkpoint, errrrrrrr I mean sleep in a bed.

And the easy counter to your points about sleeping, sick, inventory, low hp, and being negated with fast travel is that they should designed smarter. Make it so you can fast travel when you're above 75% health, not sick, not tired, not thirsty, not on drugs, and not overloaded with inventory (like say under 100 pounds). Then have an incentive to play more strategic because it lets you fast travel when you're healthy enough and prepared enough for it. Instead, they just take away mechanics so you spend more time doing things and claim it's hard.

I suppose if Bethesda could make deeper, more complex gameplay we wouldn't have to always have these same discussions on their interpretation of what is difficult or challenging.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
You mean fast travel completely defeats the point of Bethesda's limited and arguably archaic version of survival mode.

What's strategically difficult about running 15 minutes through shit you already cleared as opposed to just fast traveling? It's like the arguments that limiting inventory space makes a game more difficult because you have to plan, when really it just means you have to make more trips.

I guess my problem is I'd rather the game be more interesting and engaging than simply harder. Of course, making a game more interesting and engaging is hard, so instead we get tired, surface level mechanics like having to save at a checkpoint, errrrrrrr I mean sleep in a bed.
In your example, why are you having to spend those extra 15 minutes walking back? Is it because you screwed up and didn't bring enough stuff to see you through? Well, then the walk back is the loss after a strategic mistake, it's a waste of time--no there is nothing 'strategic' aboutthatspecific element, it is thepunishment for the failed state of the strategy, not the strategy itself(Without consequences, it's not fun). It's like saying 'whats strategic about your army being crushed and your men killed?!?!"--well, nothing, shit the strategy part was before that.

HOWEVER(And I think this is what you meant), if you're talking about having to spend that time walking back after completing your objective; and you have plenty of supplies and all the bandits/mobs are dead and the walk is JUST a time sink? I kind of agree with you--that's tedium,there is no chance for a failed state, it is literally just an exercise in time wasting. In those cases, there should be a method to abstract the time you WOULD spend walking, by spending those precious resources you brought to warp time. But the important thing is--you need to abstract the environments impact on you, you need to abstract the effects you'd have faced if you spent that time walking, because the whole point of a survival game is to make the environment a threat (And time in the environment is how that threat does damage to you)

Now, that being said, Phaz brought up some good points about mechanics which directly rely on fast travel, and obviously those should be adjusted. But overall? Fast travel does not work with survival modes UNLESS the cost for using fast travel has been abstracted (Which doesn't mean you can only use when you're healthy, again, otherwise you can still avoid the resource draw of the environment for a majority of your game play). What survival mode is, is essentially a strategic game about resource management, with, as said, the environment being the enemy and your "hit points" being replaced by resource pools (Food/Water ect). In general, the whole point of controlling the save point, and then eliminating fast travel is tomake the environment have an impact on your resources(Give it both time to be a threat AND a cost for failing at defeat it).

Personally, I would abstract time into Water/Food; you run out, you die. Make weight pretty strict, so extra water food is a burden to carry (Make it a difficult choice between ammo, armor, and water/food.) I'd put fast travel in, but the length of the fast travel costs water and food. Water and Food would also not only be used for fast travel and time spent (In the environment), but also to heal, also when you rest in the wild (Depending how good the sleeping bag/tent you brought is, and not resting gives you negatives/makes you sick), essentially W/F would be used for most things your character does outside of combat (Recovering from combat, moving around). Run out and you don't just get weaker,you die. And you lose the progress between your goal and last save (Which can only be done in town). So in essence the penalty is still time; but if you plan well you don't have to 'waste time' moving around; you can abstract the environments impact on your resource without having to spend the time to play it out.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
@Lithose-
What you said is entirely true for games in general, but this particular fallout makes the lack of fast travel so tedious that I think it would be game busting.

For starters, there is the whole "Settlement across the map is under attack" scenario that makes the entire settlement system virtually unplayable without fast travel, especially how it is now where you basically have 15 minutes RL time to respond. This also effectively shuts out the MM ending for anyone other than total masochists, since it requires having four active settlements, plus castle, to achieve. Next there is the simple fact that anyone who even remotely does their own scavenging in the game now basically already is optimizing inventory for survival. I don't know about you, but my normal trekking around setup involves one weapon, a mele backup, my healing stuffs, and maybe some chems/booze. All these changes would do (beyond adding an hour of unsavable tedium travel between ruin visits) is restrain my loot capacity by whatever amount they make ammo weigh, which I know because that's exactly the effect it had in New Vegas. Finally, you can reasonably be certain that different types of ammo will weigh differently, which most likely means that the already highly underutilized heavy weapons that only get busted out for fun occasionally will never see the light of day. Why the hell should I lug the chaingun or cannon around when the already superior sniper laser/plasma has tons more range and takes up far less weight and space? The game is already heavily biased in favor of single shot pistol builds and this just aggravates that situation, especially with the limited saves making risk averse people (read:everyone) probably gravitate right back to the sneak build.
Well, I agree this but the point about fast travel still stands (Which as you said you agree with), unless it's been abstracted to cost resources, just doesn't work with a survival mode. But of course that doesn't mean said survival mode would work well just because there is no fast travel, the whole game really needs to be designed around it. Like the pistol problem, perfect example. Pistols should be significantly weaker than large guns (Range, damage ect)--the balance should come from their weight, and how good they are for certain tasks due to their weight (IE if you're going out scavenging and not planning on cracking a huge encampment, you bring a pistol, it provides a decent offensive capability for emergencies, or single wandering enemies, but it's not really meant for sweeping battles or heavily armed/armored opponents). If the game isn't set up like this, it quickly becomes silly. (Not every weapon should have a use in a survival game, that's what makes them great--the survival elements should give things niches rather than attempting to balance it in general for combat).

But it's just as silly to have any kind of 'survival mode' with fast travel. Because, as I said in the other post, the point of survival mode is to make the environment a kind of omnipresent enemy; fast travel circumvents the environment.. But overall yeah, I agree with you, if the game is not set up to make survival mode feel good, not set up to make the choices feel robust (IE small guns are easier to lug around, but not good for taking down a fortress, large heavy weapons are great vs fortresses but they make the scope of your expedition VERY narrow, you need to plan it well), then you may as well not have a survival mode.

Caliane

yeah thats my point.

these things are potentially fine additions, if the game systems are built around them. But you can't just tack this shit onto the base game, and call it survival. that is just boring tedium being tacked on.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If they want to make it realistic, the player should contract a STD if they sleep with Cait and get radiation sickness if they sleep with Hancock ;p

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Obsidian did it right with hardcore.
New Vegas Survival was fun.

Hardcore mode - Fallout Wiki - Wikia

I think the best compromise in regards to fast travel is to be able to fast travel between settlements with a caravan attached. You are never too far away from one usually, and you can still defend your bases if you need to quickly.

I am a hoarder and survival mode just does not interest me in that regard.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
In your example, why are you having to spend those extra 15 minutes walking back? Is it because you screwed up and didn't bring enough stuff to see you through?
More because they've made the Fallout games in particular increasingly loot driven and then overloaded the game with more loot, and then survival mode is going to make loot and inventory even more "challenging" by giving ammo weight and not allowing fast travel. I guess I don't see the challenge and complex strategy involved in leaving behind 95% of loot instead of just leaving behind the 80% that I leave now.

Add to that the fact the game is made with fast travel in mind. At least I hope they don't have to fex-ex questing back and forth between the same areas over and over and think a player would be super excited to get to walk it the whole way with it already cleared. As you mention, you'll complete an objective, have to run back to effectively turn the quest in, and you'll be given another objective that may very well be at or near your previous one. Fallout 4 especially is designed fundamentally to use cities and settlements as home bases you return to often, and not being able to fast travel, and with a smaller inventory is counter to that design.

If they charge you resources to travel then it's not really making the game more engaging and complex. It's just creating a downtime penalty when you aren't actually playing the game. Some people are into that, some not, but either way I think it's lazy game design that often results less in you being more attentive to actions in the game but simply having resource bars and UIs you're playing against. Fallout 4 already has enough UI menus and bars you have to worry about filling, or try to fill, or stare and wonder at. I don't really want more, not because I'm opposed to that style of game play--I hated when CivV required less micro management--but because Fallout 4 and Bethesda aren't good at it and I don't trust them to make it more interesting or engaging, just more tedious.

What survival mode is, is essentially a strategic game about resource management, with, as said, the environment being the enemy and your "hit points" being replaced by resource pools (Food/Water ect). In general, the whole point of controlling the save point, and then eliminating fast travel is tomake the environment have an impact on your resources(Give it both time to be a threat AND a cost for failing at defeat it).
The problem isn't the theory, it's the implementation. Fallout has always been a pseudo-survival game. It's given the impression you need to scrounge to stay alive, but have you ever really had to? We're talking about game design that is attempting to implement a new survival more that is complex and meaningful, to correct the current survival difficulty that is simply you do less damage, mobs do more, oh but there are more of the difficult mobs meaning you get even more good loot to make the game seem harder at first but in the end wind up as trivial as all Bethesda games.

I appreciate they're trying to add a new type of game play. Just like I appreciate when they add DLCs. The appreciation is sorta that they should have been trying to do it from the beginning or included it from the start and maybe it wouldn't end up shallow, bandaid patches that seem more like trying to find a new way to drum up hype in the game than the meaningful addition of content. My problem is they just don't seem good at it, and don't seem like this is going to be something they're very good at either. It'll be annoying early on, and then it'll be trivial like just about anything in any of their games that is there to add challenge. Which is why the community has been so great at adding their own, particularly through mods that have to change and add to the fundamental game mechanics. While Bethesda seems content with just pushing the existing sliders to extremes and call it a day.

I'd be all for a survival style game where loot is rare, stakes are high, and you win with your cunning and wits instead of loot and skillups. I just don't ever see Bethesda being able to create that, not even for Fallout, which is pretty ironic, I guess.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
But it's just as silly to have any kind of 'survival mode' with fast travel. Because, as I said in the other post, the point of survival mode is to make the environment a kind of omnipresent enemy; fast travel circumvents the environment.. But overall yeah, I agree with you, if the game is not set up to make survival mode feel good, not set up to make the choices feel robust (IE small guns are easier to lug around, but not good for taking down a fortress, large heavy weapons are great vs fortresses but they make the scope of your expedition VERY narrow, you need to plan it well), then you may as well not have a survival mode.
Why not make the actual areas the game is sending you to be what's meaningful? Why not make that quest marker where the content is? Remember, we have to run there initially, but why should the run back to the same area for the 4th time be what they focus on for challenge and engagement.

Oh, I know what they could do, make the environment more interesting with random encounters that are actually interesting and meaningful and progress the game? Instead of the pointless bullshit they have currently like you find a settler dying of thirst, run around for 25 minutes to loot some purified water because you don't fast travel much anyhow and are afraid fast traveling will despawn the random encounter and don't carry water because it's as pointless as all the other just loot you're constantly loaded up with, finally get water, give it to the thirsty settler, and they thank you. That's it. That was the random encounter. A settler dying of thirst was thankful for water. Some meaningful content there!

As you point out, the game has to be designed to support a survival mode, and I don't think it is. It only ever has when other devs or modders made it so. Cool that Bethesda is suddenly interested, but they should have thought about this while designing the game? Not just as a way to hype the game at a strategic time between release and DLC.

edit: and do we not think a real survival mode was discussed in development, or even when theorizing about key game designed? That there wasn't one nerd who sheepishly pointed out Fallout 4 sure has a lot of ammo and loot for being a wasteland, and magical loot at that? They obviously said no to it then. Probably said yes, keep your ideas, start working on it, hell even have it done.... and we'll sit on it until most people have gotten one playthrough and are losing interest, then we'll release it as a patch!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Add to that the fact the game is made with fast travel in mind. At least I hope they don't have to fex-ex questing back and forth between the same areas over and over and think a player would be super excited to get to walk it the whole way with it already cleared. As you mention, you'll complete an objective, have to run back to effectively turn the quest in, and you'll be given another objective that may very well be at or near your previous one. Fallout 4 especially is designed fundamentally to use cities and settlements as home bases you return to often, and not being able to fast travel, and with a smaller inventory is counter to that design.

If they charge you resources to travel then it's not really making the game more engaging and complex. It's just creating a downtime penalty when you aren't actually playing the game. Some people are into that, some not, but either way I think it's lazy game design that often results less in you being more attentive to actions in the game but simply having resource bars and UIs you're playing against.
Every game ever is essentially a resource you're playing against. Even if it's not in the UI (Like Mario's one life) it's a resource you're playing against. Longer term strategies tend to illustrate the resources in the UI since the decision making is broader and has effects that happen over longer periods. There's nothing 'lazy' about resource management, it is all about how it is executed. Avoiding a failed state by managing resources, so you do not have to expend extra RL time, is nearly what every game, ever, is based off of (In the end it can all be divined down to that)...So I don't think it's not engaging and complex as a matter of fact, I just think that's your opinion--I personally don't find APM difficulty engaging or complex, yet most of the people in my guild jacked off over the fact that I could get gladiator or was decent in SC.

As for the super excited to walk part? Again, you're really underestimating how some people feel about ambiance and environments. Large swaths of people use mods in Skyrim to turnofffast travel because they like the immersion of simply having things take more time, to make the world feel larger. They LIKE actually making choices and arranging quests based on how far something is (And they add all kinds of mods like Frostfall and needs mods to make those decisions have more impact than simply time spent.) For some people, the mere aspect of having to move through the environment in a way that provides a high fidelity is ALL that is needed to make something worthwhile. You're confusing what makes a great game, with what makes a great experience/world, they don't always match up (EQ was a terrible game, but an excellent world, WoW is the opposite I feel, very bland, chopped up world, GREAT game though)--some people would gladly forgo various aspects that would create a more aerobic game experience for the general experience of a world that requires time and feels like it has scope.

However, I think the vast majority of people who like survival fall somewhere in between. Where those two things are blended together. Survival is supposed to make those cities more than just quest start/stop points, they are supposed to be places where tension is relieved. If the game doesn't make you consistently feel tense while being in the environment? Then it's not doing a good job being a survival game IMO (but it might be doing fine being an experience/world). That's why I said above, resource driven movement, is an aspect that goes towards that--but it would have be done with a lot of caveats.

Why not make the actual areas the game is sending you to be what's meaningful? Why not make that quest marker where the content is? Remember, we have to run there initially, but why should the run back to the same area for the 4th time be what they focus on for challenge and engagement.

random encounter and don't carry water because it's as pointless as all the other just loot you're constantly loaded up with
If you have to run back to a cleared area 4 times, the game isn't doing a very good job of managing its content; that's an issue with making a survival game fun, sure, but it isn't the issue of why fast travel does not work with a survival game (At best its tangentially related, since it would illustrate the game isn't designed well for good survival aspects). In addition, I think we agree with a source of the problem,if not the solutions--the resources are all but meaningless, why should I care about the environment if it can do so little to hurt me (If I don't even have to care about water)? Running out into the wastes 4 times shouldn'tjust be a chore, it should be avoided because its dangerous and difficult and taxes yourlimitedresources. (If your game is essentially an ARPG loot fest, that's all null)

The whole design should make avoiding those 'extra' runs into the waste possible to a smart player, without the need for fast travel. In fact this should be the core of survival games, well planned expeditions, efficiently going places so you don't need to retread your steps, so you can spend those resources upgrading your character instead. If a player HAS to run to the same place 4 times, despite decent planning, the whole design is fucked before you even add the survival elements (Caveat being, of course, if the place respawns, or develops new resources). What you're describing simply bad, un-engaging encounter design, and layout, not why fast travel is 'needed' but rather why it's needed to correct THOSE issues inthisgame. A decent survival game wouldn't have those (Which I think we both agree on). After all, survival is about making the environment have MORE of an impact on the player, in order to offer a meta game AND increase (As described above) the fidelity of the experience. Fast travel is the antithesis, it is literally a function meant to skip environmental interaction. It's like buying a car because you want to fly everywhere. It's fine in a game not meant to emphasize those aspects of a world (Like FO4 is obviously meant to be) but it's dogshit in a survival game.

Which is what you're saying, the game is designed poorly from the ground up, so adding the survival and environmental engagement aspects don't mean much. Nothing in my point contradicts that, though. The point is simple, with fast travel ANY survival mechanics you add are meaningless, because you'd always be able to simply warp from trouble (Even if you prevented it while sick/tired ect; you'd only bring just enough gear to alleviate those once, and warp out before your failed state). In order for the environment to have any impact at all, you either need to spend time in it, or it's effects need to be abstracted as if you did spend time in it (For those not overly concerned with the whole 'experience' thing). What you're saying is the things within the environment are also boring, and that's fair, but it's a very different argument. (That said, a good survival game should make this all work together. Different environments should challenge your resources in different ways; combined with mobs/quests and other things in that environment making it feel genuine and also adding to the taxing effect on your resource management).

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
It also kinda makes some of the STR line of perks useless. That fast travel when encumbered perk has been my bread and butter for about 20 levels now.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
edit: and do we not think a real survival mode was discussed in development, or even when theorizing about key game designed? That there wasn't one nerd who sheepishly pointed out Fallout 4 sure has a lot of ammo and loot for being a wasteland, and magical loot at that? They obviously said no to it then. Probably said yes, keep your ideas, start working on it, hell even have it done.... and we'll sit on it until most people have gotten one playthrough and are losing interest, then we'll release it as a patch!
(Separating because that post was already long).

I think Bethesda is dipping its toe in here; mainly because of how the whole survival market has exploded. The issue is, if you make a game from the ground up around survival mechanics, it will instantly turn into a love or hate thing. Current Fallout is very much a game most people can enjoy, there isn't a massive polarization of reactions, it's a 'safer' game than a survival game would be. (But for most of us, that makes it somewhat boring)

Honestly though, Bethesda should have taken the plunge and did this as a full DLC, changing a lot of the basic mechanics on top of this and selling it as a new experience for 15$. Make it a real survival game, balance the loot, resource usage, make environments have varying impacts ect. They are half assing it, but again, I think that is mainly because they are dipping their toe in to this market that is probably bewildering most game designers who assumed no one would want to waste time on increasing the 'fidelity' of their world experience. (But instead, these are some of the most popular mod types for their last game and you have a massive number of survival/resource games coming out that are wildly popular.)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
A DLC that is just an optional mode/mechanics pass over the core game would probably flop, honestly. There are plenty of people who enjoy decent survival and there's probably many more that don't. Dead Money was mostly a survival-DLC for NV but it was in a new area with new stuff and it was so unfun for me to play because of those aforementioned survival mechanics that I had to mod it to get through it.

I feel like the Survival mode they're giving us is a fine foundation for modders to improve on though, for people who like survival games. There hasn't been an aspect of a 3D fallout yet that hasn't or couldn't be improved by a mod, and this is no exception. The GECK is still a little ways off but people are chomping at the bit for it and if the quality of the pre-GECK mods are anything to go by, there should be some amazing shit.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
(Which I think we both agree on).
I think we agree on most everything when it comes to game design of this kind of game play. Difference is I can't help but point out how that isn't Bethesda's strong suit. I play Fallout 4 despite their game design, not because of it directly.

I wasn't using fast travel very often for a long time in Fallout 4. In fact, first thing I did was run around and explored/cleared most of the upper half of the map. Then I realized there wasn't much there in regards to planned content, and I was going to have to go back to all the same areas anyhow once I had the actual quest since apparently quite a few of the areas I had cleared re-spawned and had to be re-cleared, etc. Then I realized the random encounters were pretty shallow and meaningless and not really even that interesting on their own. That's when I started fast traveling.

So, yeah, I think we agree just making people not be able to fast travel is beside the point if other fundamental design choices remain.

Basically repeat my previous experience and feelings with many of the things on their list.

I mean, really, I'm going to do more damage in their new survival mode with some kind of point building system or whatever? At this point I haven't taken any crafting perks, so am using equipment that has dropped, and haven't taken a single damage boosting perk aside from lone wanderer since that's how I play the game, and the last thing I need is for combat to be made even easier. What I'd like is for the game to be smart enough that if I see the grenade icon, hit the vats hotkey, it be smart enough to target the grenade I'm trying to hit not auto aim me at the furthest enemy possible.

I guess I'd love the shit out of a survival mode ala some of the stuff that could be done with Skyrim mods where you were hunting for food and exposed to elements, etc, but I just don't believe Bethesda themselves are capable of understanding what players want in this regard since they can barely deliver a game where hard mode isn't simply a more/less damage more/less heals change.

Basically, we agree, I'm just salty at their imo lazy and boarderline inept game design when they have no legitimate excuse for it at this point.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Just finished up the main quest with Brotherhood on Sunday. I have a save before the point of no return. Is it worth it to go back and see all the other endings? Part of me wants to do that, and part of me wants to move on to the next part of my Backlog. (Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, Just Cause 3, and I still need to finish the final 15% in Witcher 3) And that's just a pin prick to the backlog
frown.png

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Brotherhood ending will give you credit for the MM ending. Institute ending is probably the hardest and most different. Honestly if you are at the point of no return, its not much to close out each ending. Watched my wife do the MM one last night while I got my plat on this and it has some interesting aspects to it, as in defending the castle after you build it up is actually interesting.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just finished up the main quest with Brotherhood on Sunday. I have a save before the point of no return. Is it worth it to go back and see all the other endings? Part of me wants to do that, and part of me wants to move on to the next part of my Backlog. (Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, Just Cause 3, and I still need to finish the final 15% in Witcher 3) And that's just a pin prick to the backlog
frown.png
Save and come back later. I can't believe you haven't finished Witcher. Do that now and then go play Alien Isolation this weekend. Finish it in a 2 day binge and play with the lights off. Less posting and more backlog clears.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You may or may not be tempted to play Alien: Isolation on the hardest difficulty. If you are, let me just say that I regret not stepping it down to the next hardest. The added tedium wasn't any more immersive or intense or even terrifying. It was just super annoying and tedious.

Don't get me wrong - overall, it's a super solid game, and I really enjoyed it. But if I could do it all over again, I'd save myself all that time so I could play something else.