Fallout 4

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The update also did jack shit to already what was available on Series X with game boost.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
So it's a solid win for us ps5 players?

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Reaction GIF

Caliane

Game based on mods to fix it's shallowness and plethora of problems breaks all mods with an update that causes other issues and fixes nothing for PC players, since mods already did everything in the update, a long time ago. Also, good luck getting mod makers to come back and update more than half of them:

Huge mod maker team was about to release an anticipated mod called Fallout: London but were blindsided by the update. They had to cancel the release of their mod until a later date, after they go through and test/fix compatibility:

The easiest fix for modders was to just roll back the update (but Fallout London is currently trying to work with the new version):
View attachment 526743

Modders are bunch of whiny babies. nexus drama, starsector drama, etc. its endless. drama whores that constantly fight with each other. its insane if you spend any time in any game community how much stupid shit they feud over.

that fallout london shit is real retarded. there is no way that patch had any real major effect on their mod. they are just being whiny bitches, thinking Bethesda owes them something.

now, a general "downgrader" or selection in steam to let you pick which version to run makes sense.
a new update can break old mods that are not being currently maintained. typically such mods get forked/maintained. but not always.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well, if you call playing a piece of trash a win, which FO4 un-modded is, then sure!
Such a huge step back from New Vegas. That's when Bethesda lost the plot. Nothing they've released since has been worth playing.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Such a huge step back from New Vegas. That's when Bethesda lost the plot. Nothing they've released since has been worth playing.
I would say Bethesda mostly lost the plot with the dumbing down, boring RNG portals, the 1 character can do and be everything, level scaling, and the stupid overpromising hype machine of Oblivion. Morrowind didn't NEED mods to be good, every single other game they have made since then does.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Fallout 4 was ok for what it was. I think the biggest downside was the lack of nuance in the endings. You wipe out institute/BoS/Railroad

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I just want isometric, party based fallout back. The move to "realistic" 3d ballooned the cost of (all games), and doesn't lend itself any better to exploratory rpgs.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

I just want isometric, party based fallout back. The move to "realistic" 3d ballooned the cost of (all games), and doesn't lend itself any better to exploratory rpgs.
Before Todd fucked the IP, I was hoping Fallout 3 was going to take notes from Jagged Alliance 2 and make the next game fully tactical. Even Fallout in the new Jagged Alliance 3 engine would be awesome, but alas, there is no hope of that ever happening. Not that any Beth writer could make a compelling game, even if they greenlit such a project.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

On the flipside, Fallout saw far more popularity once it moved to 3D. Most RPGs in the late 90s/early 2000s were pretty much the isometric design - stuff like Morrowind really popularized the FPS-style of open world RPG and it also translated much better to consoles.

While a Baldur's Gate 3 style Fallout game would be pretty awesome, I don't think that is likely

Goonsquad Officer
On the flipside, Fallout saw far more popularity once it moved to 3D. Most RPGs in the late 90s/early 2000s were pretty much the isometric design - stuff like Morrowind really popularized the FPS-style of open world RPG and it also translated much better to consoles.

While a Baldur's Gate 3 style Fallout game would be pretty awesome, I don't think that is likely
Yea, bg3 fallout, or jagged alliance 3 fallout, or kingmaker fallout could all be done and done well. wasteland 2 style fallout even.

I don't think there should 'only' be isometric fallouts, but i despise the way whole genres are abandoned these days. Can you imagine if xcom's engine did a fallout game? you could play brotherhood, or maybe ncr, or maybe the enclave. or maybe they DLC dime us to death like warhammer total war. you know the old school fallout nuts would go ape shit for it. if the dialogue/circumstance trees were like BG3? (but 80 percent less gay)?

i do think the 3d games expanded the market popularity, but i don't need a game to be popular to enjoy it. And i certainly think that BG3 was perfectly popular and well received by normies with it's overhead party combat. Not that i think bethesda is capable of making such a thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I don't really get that take. Its not like the Fallout lore or setting itself is so amazing.

we got wasteland, which IS fallout. we have underrail, we have Encased, we have shadowrun, that aussie not fallout that just came out. we have Weird west. a bunch modern ones like xcom, troubleshooter, etc. Rogue trader.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Underrail was really fucking good once you got past the GFX, which took like 10 min. Then youre immersed in a huge fucking world with tons of hours of content and playtime. They are making a new game now. Then there is the russian fallout game, I forgot the name, but they got good reviews and again, have like 2 games out now. Never played it myself though.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Underrail was really fucking good once you got past the GFX, which took like 10 min. Then youre immersed in a huge fucking world with tons of hours of content and playtime. They are making a new game now. Then there is the russian fallout game, I forgot the name, but they got good reviews and again, have like 2 games out now. Never played it myself though.

Metro? Stalker? Both have three games now. Unless there's another franchise I'm not aware of.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i do think the 3d games expanded the market popularity, but i don't need a game to be popular to enjoy it. And i certainly think that BG3 was perfectly popular and well received by normies with it's overhead party combat. Not that i think bethesda is capable of making such a thing.
The problem is the companies making them need them to be popular to make money. IMO there was nothing wrong with the FPS versions of those games, even the elder scrolls games which were super popular. Only ones making iso games now are mom and pop shops, and yes that includes BG3. Which was a hit but still a rather small company vs giants like Bethesda. But that game is an anomaly because its so fucking good, all voice acted, or most of it, which adds a lot. Reading shit in these games gets on my nerves, see owlcat games which have like reams and reams of shit for you to read.

Goonsquad Officer
I don't really get that take. Its not like the Fallout lore or setting itself is so amazing.

we got wasteland, which IS fallout. we have underrail, we have Encased, we have shadowrun, that aussie not fallout that just came out. we have Weird west. a bunch modern ones like xcom, troubleshooter, etc. Rogue trader.
Absolutely, a lot of those games are the superior version of what newer fallouts could have been. wasteland 2 had a lot of great stuff in the squad rpg. xcom best tactical game. metro has the best post apocalyptic feels. I think I just feel like fallout 3+ failed to do ....just about all of it's aspects super well. thte gameplay wasn't tense due to vats, the setting doesn't feel right. Maybe part of it is the way that in fallout 3,4 and to a lesser extent new vegas it...does not feel like a desolate wasteland the way fallout 1-2, or metro games did.

you leave the vault and 25 feet away is a grocery store with food items, from 100 years ago still on the shelf. no one looted. okay. 100 yards away is a wacky dude having wacky hijinks, 800 yards beyond is a town hwere people worship the a bomb and NEVER FUCKING SWEPT the dirt out of their house. or patched holes in teh wall. they can see other intact structures, from other towns visibly from their front porch, yet have no idea what it is, or went there. it doesn't lend itself well to a sort of realism of setting i guess? i don't need the retro futurism to be realistic, but itd be cool if it made more sense in it's own setting.

i get it, if you don't give hijinks and adventure ever 4 minuts player gets bored, we learned this in witcher 3 vs starfield discussions. so i know why it is what it is, but it doesn't feel like a desolate post apocalypstic world to explore, feels like a wacky funhouse jammed together.

the isometric had a sense of scale with the travel system, where map based traveling made meaningful distance. hoenstly i think maybe fallout 1's 'vault running out of water' reminders made tehe scale matter more than in the rest of them.

i think i made myself want to play arcanum again, with all the talk of isometrics and maps heh.

• 1Like

Burns

Atom rpg is 60% off on GoG atm. I have not played this one.
I played both and they are pretty good. I liked Wasteland 2 more than 3, and would put this game between the two in which I would rather replay, even though both Wasteland games are more shiny and modern feeling. I think the devs even stated that their goal was to basically make a Fallout 2 clone set in Russia.

Of course expectations should still be that, at least of the first game, it is a small indie team that made it for Russians first, then translated the game for a wider audience, so some stories/jokes may not stick as well with us.