Fallout

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just finished it , love it. Solid 8/10. Story was ok , not sure how close it was to the games. Loved the game references and the ending where
the dad / overseer looks out on New Vegas.
Just loaded Fallouts 1 & 2 on my GOG account. Time for replay #23424 Hell I may even do Tactics.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

I never played Fallout Tactics, but I got it for free years back (Bethesda gave FO1, 2, and Tactics for free to people who bought FO76). Is it like Xcom?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lol Maximus has to be guilt tripped to not let an entire Vault die over his compulsive need to steal.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I never played Fallout Tactics, but I got it for free years back (Bethesda gave FO1, 2, and Tactics for free to people who bought FO76). Is it like Xcom?
It's most like Jagged Alliance 2, as that was the big hit that came out when they were in early development for Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. It just wasn't nearly as intricate/complicated as JA2. I think Jagged Alliance 1 was heavily influenced by the original X-com, so they are the same genera. I wouldn't go in expecting FO: Tactics to be the 2012 X-com remake though, it's simpler than that.

As much as I love Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2 was a much better game and would recommend playing it over Fallout Tactics.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One of the main/original creators of Fallout talking about the opening and his thoughts on the first 2 episodes:

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
1712966245916.png

• 10Worf
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Caliane

One of the main/original creators of Fallout talking about the opening and his thoughts on the first 2 episodes:
Just some history.

Tim worked on Fallout 1 and 2, via Interplay. But he did not work on the original wasteland.
He then went to Troika, for Arcanum, toee, and vampire bloodlines. then Obsidian for south park stick of truth, Pillars of eternity, Tyranny, and the outer worlds.
Carbine studios and wildstar is in there as well.

Producer/design/lead/director on fallout 1, 2, arcanum, toee, and outer worlds. just programmer on the others.

he did not work at bethesda or on fallout 3/4, 75, tactics, etc.

Tim mentions Brian Fargo.
Brian Fargo founded Interplay, created The Bard's tale (with crawford), Wasteland, Battlechess. produced tons of others as founder of interplay.. and then later inXile.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Like Burns Burns says it's more JA than Xcom. I remember being bummed when it came out as it had a barely there story to justify the missions and not much else. I bought it new when it came out then on GOG later in life. Fallout 1 was the 1st game I bought on GOG (I also seem to remember it was one of the first games offered but that can be CRS kicking in). Anyhow I prefer the 2D Fallouts (1 & 2) to the 3D Fallouts.
I was not impressed with Fallout 4. When they press 'player inventions' that to me means 'we ran out of story / play mechanics here you do it'. I also never tried F76 as I don't need a MMORPG to get addicted to and playing most online players are PITA. Was it any good and does it have a single player story to speak of?

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Was it any good and does it have a single player story to speak of?

They added a regular Fallout questline/story to the game years back. While the game is online, you can pretty much do everything solo and most of the story interiors are instanced. There are also 'dungeons' you can run solo if you like - Expeditions that bring you to The Pitt or Atlantic City, Daily Ops, or Nuke Silos (if you beat the Silo and have the launch codes/keycards, you can launch a nuke and blow up any part of the map you want. Some spots will spawn bosses. Any nuke area gets mutated monsters and plants, which give more XP and different loot)

There are also public events which people show up for and all work together - they are either raid bosses (like Scorchbeast Queen) or things like Mothman Equinox where you have to help some cultists summon mothman by gathering sacrificial blood and protecting flame altars.

People shit on the game when it came out because it was very barebones and didn't have any traditional Fallout narrative, but they've fixed pretty much all of that.

• 1Worf

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was great. Anticipation for a second season much higher than the first.

Ghoul and Lucy time together in s1 were really enjoyable, brief as they were. Having them as a teamup seems a great setup.

Maximus was mostly eh, but he kind of grew on me over the season. Him as the hitman of the evil BoS has potential.

Dad makes a great villain, he really sold the speech in ep8 - it's hard to make a cartoon villain monologue seem heartfelt and meaningful so kudos for that.

Surprise standout for me was squire Thaddeus, he was just entertaining to watch. 'Aaah, I'm so stupid, why did I trust a doctor that smelled like that ?!'

The people whining about wokeness are embarrassing themselves.

• 2Like

Caliane

not starting epi 6 quite yet.

I saw arch make a vid complaining on lore, etc. I think he might be overstating it. Saw Josh sawyer shitting on canon in tweets.

I think theres something to say here. Its real frustrating to see creators that don't seem to understand their own creations at times. Authors that don't give any shit about the worlds they created. Why should we give any shit, if you don't? if you will retcon shit non-stop, why should we get invested at all? There are authors that have huge bibles, and are very protective. Then theres Bethesda, or blizzard, who retcon everything ever new quest/game.
Which is something we need to address. Bethesda's fallout has ALWAYS been retarded with retcons, and zero concern for lore.

sarah lyons getting offscreened. the east coast BOS at all. east coast supermutants. east coast looking like the mojave. dead prewar bodies still in place 200-280 years later. raiders. prewar jet, pipe guns in prewar safes, and so on, and so on.
So like, if your complaint on this SHOW is it retconning parts of the story... I mean. again every single bethesda fallout game has done that too.

Larian does this shit too. every single game has retconned the Divine story. (it is interesting games seem to be the worst for this)

Last edited:

Cybsled

Different opinion: Retcons aren't really retcons if you have unreliable narrators or data sources providing the original information and the "retcon" fills in the blanks.

For example: Fallout 76 adds a lot more backstory to the Brotherhood of Steel. Maxson still founds the BoS, but it adds context that other elders wanted to take power and essentially use him as a uniting figurehead, while weakening his support (sending lots of his pre-war allies on missions to remove them from the equation). Effectively, Maxson (the original) becomes BoS Jesus, but the Elders are the church and twist the message to whatever form best suits their continued hold on power. This jives with the subsequent Fallout games chronologically, as the Elders effectively have an irongrip on the BoS and the original goal of Maxson was lost for the most part. Maxson wanted to safeguard technology to help rebuild society, but the BoS eventually just became hoarders with no intention of ever sharing or restoring America. East Coast BoS in FO3 and 4 make sense because Lyons originally wanted to get back to the original mission of BoS, which was in conflict with the Elders.

As for Super Mutants, the more recent Fallout games just highlight that West Tek had other facilities working on FEV and FEV adjacent projects and that data was transfered out west. Which is realistic: Modern corporations will have information shared amongst locations. A defense contractor working on a major project isn't just going to keep every scrap of knowledge in one single location with no redundancy. Plus, most defense contractors are based and have most of their facilities on the East Coast, so a major player having stuff going on near DC makes a lot more sense than some spot in California only.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Hey guys communist is just a dirty word for people that aren’t insane.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled