Family Car

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Thinking about getting a second car...

Wife + 2 kids (4 and 2)...We have a Honda Pilot (which I love, but we don't need a 2nd one), but we're starting to hit the point where we need a second car for all the kid/work stuff.

Anyone have suggestions? I live in Chicago...Not the burbs. My wife likes "big" cars (she says they make her feel safer), but is willing to consider a smaller car. We have a two car garage, but I'd rather go smaller because it will be a tight fit in the garage with the Pilot already.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm in the same situation. Something small and easy on gas. We already have a Toyota Sienna.

I'm thinking a Golf TDI or a Toyota Yaris.

lindz

#DDs
I have a Pilot as well for all the family stuff. Our second car is a Toyota Prius. Love having the hybrid for a second car for the fuel efficiency. Plus we can still cram all 5 of us in it when we need to.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My Honda Accord is big, roomy, and good on gas. Might appease you both as it's a car so it's not massive, but your wife will find it "big". It's humongous compared to my fiance's civic.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah the new Accord looks really nice. We have a CRV which is definitely smaller than the Pilot but bigger than an average car. So that class might be a good compromise.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Hondas are always a good choice, good driving dynamics for their class and exceptional resell/reliability. I'm a big Mazda fan, the new Mazda 6 is kicking butt in all of the comparison tests. The 2014 Mazda 3 was just revealed yesterday, it looks amazing for the segment. They also have the CX-5 which is universally praised in the small crossover segment.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No self respecting Chicagoan would be found in anything less than this fine automobile.

rrr_img_33002.jpg

On a more serious note... Check out Subaru Outback.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have a CRV that we bought when we had our first kid. I wish I had bought a van instead of that now, because once we had 3 kids the CRV didn't have room for all the carseats and we ended up getting a van. 2 car payments is no fun.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I love my Highlander Sport, but doesn't sound like you want another SUV. It shares the Avalon wheelbase and handling/ride is amazing.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Highlanders are indeed sharp little SUV's. I actually like the Venza as well, but I know not everyone feels the same. It drives like a car though!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Like chaos mentioned above...are you going to have a 3rd kid? IF you end up with a 3rd kid, you're going to need something with a 3rd row of seats(assuming the oldest isn't past having to use a booster seat yet). Hell, even if the oldest doesn't need a booster seat, fitting them into a backseat with 2 kids that are still in carseats/boosters would not be fun.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Like chaos mentioned above...are you going to have a 3rd kid? IF you end up with a 3rd kid, you're going to need something with a 3rd row of seats(assuming the oldest isn't past having to use a booster seat yet). Hell, even if the oldest doesn't need a booster seat, fitting them into a backseat with 2 kids that are still in carseats/boosters would not be fun.
I think we're done with kids...You never know, but we're over 40 now and I just don't see us having anymore.

As for price, I'm pretty open, but I'd prefer to get something that lasts a long time and has minimal upkeep...I've just never been that into high-maintenance cars since I stopped having to limp along with beaters. I've simply got too many other things to spend time on, like the kids, work, etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While it's not quite sedan/hybrid level gas mileage, our new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport gets 22 city/30 highway gas mileage. That really can't be beat for a mid-sized SUV, most mid-sized SUVs are lucky to get in the 23-24 highway mpg, and your in the teens in city driving. The only thing that really tops it are small SUVs, and still not by much.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
We bought a CRV for wife and kids last year and she loves it, but as others have said it is not a good choice if you are going to have more kids or if you are often taking other kids/friends around. If you want a man-mobile with room for family then I'd go with a Tundra CrewMax which seats 5 very comfortably. If you are in a city or congested suburb though trucks can really be a bitch.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
For a car, go drive a new Honda Accord and a new Mazda 6... Pick which one you like the best. Can get either well equipped for under 25k, and they are both very fun to drive, they blow everything in the class away in driving "feel"

If you want an SUV, the new Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee are pretty damn nice.

Crossover, The Honda CRV or Mazda CX-5 are really nice for the small CUV segment. Or you could go nutty and drive a Nissan Juke, very very fun to drive!

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
If you are going to consider another SUV, please test drive the Highlander - mine has third row fold away seating, no cabin noise, extremely comfortable and gets 26 mpg highway with the V6. I drove every mid-size SUV including the Pilot and nothing compared.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
One thing to keep in mind, is that we are hurtling quickly toward a zero-fatality car. Crashworthiness is improving by leaps and bounds, but it's uneven. Priuses and Camrys get destroyed on the new small overlap crash test, while Honda Civics and Accords both handle it well. 25% of all traffic fatalities occur in this type of accident. I just bought a civic, and that's the main reason why. It's the only compact car to date that receives the IIHS top safety pick plus award, and is the only compact car made at the moment that receives a good result for the small overlap. They also make a 4 door civic sedan.

If that's too small, the accord also receives the top safety pick plus award. There are a smattering of other midsize sedans that score well on the small overlap.

This is the 2012 prius failing miserably on this new crash test-

To contrast, here is the 2013 civic 4 door in the same test-