Fantasy Grounds Unity Campaign

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amod Amod , this is a cross-post from the tabletop forum, but I don't think the D&D thread gets enough traffic and technically FGU is a PC game. However, I completely understand if this post gets nuked.

To the post:

In a month or so I'm going to start a new 5E campaign using Fantasy Grounds Unity so I'm looking for 1-2 additional players (for a total of 4-5).

Here's the rough outline and requirements:

1. Attendance. We'll play once a week for 3.5 to 4.5 hours. The specific day will be decided by the group once formed. Sessions can also be rescheduled within the same week if life interferes. All said, I want players that show up consistently and show up on time. Also, I'm U.S. Central time so regardless of day, the game will be run sometime between 5pm and 11:30pm CST.

2. Social interaction. I don't care if you're weird or eccentric, but if you think Orcs being inherently evil is racist and/or you melt down because I won't refer to a singular person as 'they'..my table isn't for you. We'll keep real world politics (of any kind) off the table and I COMPLETELY expect for you to keep your social justice activism to yourself. Zero tolerance.

2b. 'Controversial' topics. Rape, slavery, abuse, etc...they exist and I'm not going to dance around the topics. Besides, if you're ok with with chopping a Goblin to pieces with an axe, but lose your mind when I narrate - "The Galleon glides across the water in near-silence; the sole exception being the rhythmic cadence of the slave crew. "Stroke!" echoes from the bowels of the hulking ship." That, I will not describe 'controversial' topics in gratuitous detail.

3. Communication. We'll use Discord, but only for voice. There is no video streaming. Discord is a great platform but obviously doesn't function as well as speaking in-person so please try not to interrupt each other. In-game PMs to me and other players can be utilized. There is also a chat box in-game.

4. Cost. As mentioned, the platform we'll use to play is Fantasy Grounds Unity, but it will cost you nothing as I have an Ultimate License. I also have all the necessary sourcebooks that I can share during sessions so you don't need to purchase anything. Furthermore, you don't need to be an experienced user of the platform. We can help you get started and It only takes a few sessions to get a functional understanding.

4b. I have an extensive Fantasy Grounds library, but there are literally hundreds more options that I do not own. If you'd like to incorporate one of the books into our game we can discuss it and depending on cost I may just purchase it myself or we could do a cost share across the group. A $30-$60 option is a lot easier to swallow if it's divided 5 or 6 ways.

5. Campaign tone. In a word - serious. Comedy is great and offers a necessary pressure release when appropriate, but if you're the guy/girl that is constantly doing or saying stupid stuff, this isn't the game for you. I understand that everyone plays D&D differently but, at my table, D&D is a cooperative game where a party works together to achieve their collective/individual goals. Douchebags that intentionally creates meaningless strife or hardship for the group won't last long. That fact is especially true for the folks who attempt to justify their actions because "It's what my character would do."

6. Campaign setting. Forgotten Realms, but I carve out most of the whimsical trash, I heavily homebrew, and I also make use of entire world rather than focus on the Sword Coast as much of the official WoTC material does.

7. Changes to the rules. I have a fairly large number of changes to the core rules that alleviate the complaints that 5E has no risk, combat is boring/repetitive, etc. I HEAVILY draw from:
a. Grit and Glory (6.01)
b. Stormchaser's
c. Giffyglyph's Darker Dungeons (4.0)
d. Hamund's series
e. Armorer's Handbook

and many others. I've greatly expanded systems for combat, injuries, exhaustion, travel, crafting, poisons, herbalism, alchemy, downtime, fame/infamy, owning property/businesses, as well as a number of other systems. Everything is modular and if the group decides as a whole that they'd prefer to cut something, we can. The flip-side is that we can also add systems as we go.

In summary, my game is more dangerous, immersive, and players have significantly greater agency with corresponding consequences (good and bad).

If you're interested, PM me and we can go over the details. If you decide you want in, we can make your character on Fantasy Grounds so it'll be ready when the campaign launches.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Only need 1 or 2 more dependable players for my 5E campaign.
This sounds toxic and problematic. Dependable implies that a schedule must be maintained which is a symptom of the patriarchy. Also what if someone identifies as three people but you only have room for one or two? This is pluralphobic and a bigoted stance. Finally ‘campaign’? Really? You know who else led a campaign? Hitler did. So yeah. Let’s just stop right there. Fuckin yikes all around.

• 3Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Don't worry, we already have a token player with "hate" as part of their name, so that diversity box is checked. Better luck next time, bigot!