Faster Than Light

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I picked this game up on Steam for 5 bucks, and several people had already recommended it.

Its tough...sometimes luck can be a serious factor, but even after getting fucked pretty good, its still addictive. Itlookseasier than it really is, trust me.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I played the shit out of it for a couple days. Beat it on easy with the engi ship after about four hours. Got to the boss on normal a ton of times but its 100% luck if you can win or not. No matter what ship you have, how upgraded it is, or what your crew looks like if you don't luck into a great set of weapons you can't win.

Well worth the price though and I really hope they churn out a few expansion packs. More random events or different scenarios will be a day 1 buy for me.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Love this game. Took awhile to figure everything out but after around 15 attempts and a little reading of the wiki I beat it several times in a row on easy. Definitely a different beast on normal.

Only part I don't enjoy is that there is only a few real strategies for beating the final boss and if you stray away from those you'll most likely get smashed.

Worth the full price.

Rodyland_sl

shitlord
I played the shit out of it for a couple days. Beat it on easy with the engi ship after about four hours. Got to the boss on normal a ton of times but its 100% luck if you can win or not. No matter what ship you have, how upgraded it is, or what your crew looks like if you don't luck into a great set of weapons you can't win.
Not true. The boss is actually fairly easy to beat if you follow the strategy and exploit its weakesses.

Besides a ship with all systems that is smartly (energy efficient) kitted out, well or fully upgraded, and a skilled crew, the main thing you need is a well-trained boarding party (and transporters of course). Always use bugs or rock men as your boarding party if you can.

Take out all the special weapons (and the guys manning them) except the second from the left (if you kill all the crew the ship goes full auto). Then take out the main crew (you need to nuke their medbay to achieve this). Do all this in the first encounter.

With no crew to get in your way, the 2nd and 3rd encounters are a relative walk in the park. Cloaks make dodging the massive attacks from the 2nd and 3rd form easier, but I've done it without cloaking. I've only once managed to take the ship down without using a boarding party. I've never failed with a boarding party.

Well worth the price though and I really hope they churn out a few expansion packs. More random events or different scenarios will be a day 1 buy for me.
Although I haven't "finished" the game yet (still got ships/layouts to unlock), I too hope they release new content. I am thoroughly enjoying this game.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's a great game for awhile, while it's hard. Then you start to figure out how it works and how to use the more overpowered strategies like boarding, and you can win 70%+ of the time on normal. Then it gets boring. Never got a couple of the harder ships. Game desperately needs some sort of PvP.

Rodyland_sl

shitlord
It's a great game for awhile, while it's hard. Then you start to figure out how it works and how to use the more overpowered strategies like boarding, and you can win 70%+ of the time on normal. Then it gets boring. Never got a couple of the harder ships. Game desperately needs some sort of PvP.
I can totally see what you're saying. Still, for $5, and I'm maybe half way through my enjoyment, it was money well spent.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
One of the more addicting games I've played as of late. Even if you only get 20 hours out of the game, it's well worth the $5-10.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm finding the game a bit boring. I prefer Dungeons or Dredmore since both games are somewhat similar. I know it is a silly analogy since neither game looks similar but I get the same feeling from them.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is boarding really that badass? I never tried it.

Ruin_sl

shitlord
With boarding you usually get better resources from encounters, also with a teleporter taking 1-2 energy, you can focus your scrap and energy on defense as the only thing you should have to worry about are missiles and medbays.

Rodyland_sl

shitlord
Boarding is overpowered, TBH. You get better rewards generally from taking over a ship rather than destroying it. Sometimes you'll find a captive on board a ship, who offers to become a crew member. If you take over a slaver, you get a choice of race of slave to take as a crew member (mantis, rock or engi).

The final boss is a bit of a non-event with a boarding party. And several blue events are triggered by a teleporter (although that's true of several other upgrades as well).

The only thing that stops you always boarding is the drone enemies, plus the final boss needs to be destroyed - so you still need normal weapons.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Boarding is overpowered, TBH. You get better rewards generally from taking over a ship rather than destroying it. Sometimes you'll find a captive on board a ship, who offers to become a crew member. If you take over a slaver, you get a choice of race of slave to take as a crew member (mantis, rock or engi).

The final boss is a bit of a non-event with a boarding party. And several blue events are triggered by a teleporter (although that's true of several other upgrades as well).

The only thing that stops you always boarding is the drone enemies, plus the final boss needs to be destroyed - so you still need normal weapons.
With a heal missile and the recast on the TP I boarded a few drones. You just need to time it right and then you don't even have to waste missiles. I did not understand the layout of the boss fight. Each of the weapon system was in its own, inaccessible room which made it so easy to board. You could take down the worst of the weapon within seconds of the fight starting. With cloak it was just a big joke and the badass missiles never even hit you once.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
/Necro

I picked this up during the Steam summer sale for $2.50. After playing 8 or 9 times I sure seem to be having a lot of frustration. Eventually I run into a ship that has 2 or 3 shield and hardened shields on top of that. At that point I'm hoping not to lose any of my vital systems, so that I can either teleport over and take it out, or warp away if I get FTL back fast enough. Which so far has not been possible. Either I miss with my weapons, or they take out too many of my systems to survive. The last time I went from full hull to no hull, that's how long the fight took.

Clearly I'm failing in understanding this game in some way.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
/Necro

I picked this up during the Steam summer sale for $2.50. After playing 8 or 9 times I sure seem to be having a lot of frustration. Eventually I run into a ship that has 2 or 3 shield and hardened shields on top of that. At that point I'm hoping not to lose any of my vital systems, so that I can either teleport over and take it out, or warp away if I get FTL back fast enough. Which so far has not been possible. Either I miss with my weapons, or they take out too many of my systems to survive. The last time I went from full hull to no hull, that's how long the fight took.

Clearly I'm failing in understanding this game in some way.
For heavily shielded ships I have found lasers that fire multiple shots key. Like if you use the base human ship the laser shoots 3 lasers. A 2nd one of those should get rid of shields fairly quickly.

Citz

Silver Squire
Focusing on boarding the ship with some your crew and deactivating the weapon will go a long way, including the final boss.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
If I'm not running a boarding party ship, I get a missile and some lasers. Missile almost always focuses shields while lasers tear up weapons. Or if I have ion the ion focuses shields, missiles go to weapons initially, and lasers focuses whatever else is needed at the time.

Though the final boss fight will annoy you unless you run 2 or 3 specific types of ships, otherwise it is hard to beat it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm always a fan of enough fast lasers to eat their shields with Glaives and other beams that I manually fire the second I drop their shields - they're soooo efficient on damaging things so quickly that their repair crews have an impossible job to keep up. (Shields of course being part of that first beam targeting so that multiple can get through before it gets repaired)

Or of course missiles to drop shields, but that's not always an option for obvious reasons. (Drones/that shielding thing that can block it)

Boarding I've found overrated in most cases - exceptions for the boss ship simply because the weapons aren't tied to the rest of the ship so no worries of over or undercommitting to the boarding and/or them just coming behind to repair.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some ships are just easier to play than others too..

The engi ship (The Torus) is basically afk auto-attack to win... (upgrade your shields to max, pray for a drone recovery arm, max your drones, (1 attack, 1 defense for missiles, boarding drone can help too), Slowly build up your crew, free energy is best, but sensor crew and a mantis to repel invaders can help. The starting ion weapon + any missile launcher (or a bomb) to take out their weapons early... and then you just slowly wittle the enemy down while being invincible. (for extra OP'ness equip the module that heals your crew everywhere)

But you're also just playing slots... sometimes things line up and you get the drops you need, when you need them... sometimes you don't.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
For heavily shielded ships I have found lasers that fire multiple shots key. Like if you use the base human ship the laser shoots 3 lasers. A 2nd one of those should get rid of shields fairly quickly.
Also it is good to have one missile weapon/bomb/teleporter if you are having problems with heavy shielding on a ship. Missiles/bombs ignore all but the initial zoltan shield which is easy enough to strip with any energy weapon. Target the shields and one or two missile hits is enough to gimp shields enough anything should be able to keep them surpressed. Boarding parties work too although it becomes a bit more problematic if the opponent has a medical bay.