Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lines like son of a submariner, Thats shadow he slit his mommas throat for a nickel, etc

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lines like son of a submariner, Thats shadow he slit his mommas throat for a nickel, etc
Ah yes, the Woosleyisms. It's funny that they became so iconic because he was really just pulling them out of his ass. "He'd kill his own best friend for the right price" is a much more faithful translation of the original Japanese. Son of a Submariner probably came about from Woosley thinking 'Son of a Bitch' was an accurate translation for "くそ"

joz123

Potato del Grande
Got cure to lvl 16 in ff2 and no trophy.

Bbb7 Sucks GIF by National Geographic Channel

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got cure to lvl 16 in ff2 and no trophy.

Bbb7 Sucks GIF by National Geographic Channel

Same thing happened to me. I reloaded an autosave and did it again, same thing.

You have to fight a battle and use it in that battle. For me it was the Roundworm, so it might have to be a boss IDK probably not. After that battle the trophy popped.

(I got Cure to 16 outside of battle, THEN used it once in battle, then trophy after winning)

The "get a weapon skill to 16" is significantly "worse" because enemies stop giving weapon skill at like level 13. Like you can go all the way to the final dungeon and your weapons will be stuck at 13 (the fourth character was stuck at 11 for some reason).

What I did there is give 4th dude two weak Longswords (I keep him using swords while the others punch) and have him attack a defending Firion over and over. Do this like 15x, then win the battle, then repeat. Hitting twice makes the skill go up twice as fast.

Yes, you still have to beat up your own characters. They're the only thing that'll raise weapon skill past whatever point. Also the first 4-5 attacks in a battle seem to do nothing before the skill starts raising, which is why I go 2x Longsword and attack 15x or so. It took me about 20 minutes of doing this stuff to get 4th dude from 11 to 16 on swords.

If you want to gimp all the bosses in the final dungeon, the Blood Sword does mega-damage (2000-3000) to them for some reason. Hit the final boss for 9999 on a crit and he was down on the second turn.

Side Note: FF3 looks like it's gonna take more time than 1+2+4 combined. 4 hours in and I'm maybe like 20% of the way through the main story at best, to say nothing of getting the plat. They added some new stuff like "find all hidden items" which is gonna be rough. Every map tells you how many hidden items are left (along with chests) so that'll help a lot. However, inspecting every pot/bookcase gets old, this isn't Dragon Quest. I'm trying to find a list of missables for FF3 (if there even are any) so I can relax a bit.

FF2 only had a few missables, but they're all extremely missable. The biggest one is Paul's two secret rooms. Paul in Fynn gives you access to the Fynn Castle basement if you talk to him before the Cyclone, which has a bunch of chests. Then he gives you access to a room in his house with a bunch more chests, if you talk to him before Paramecia Castle. Or something like that. Miss either of these and the game is f*cked. At least Bestiary can be finished over multiple runs if it gets flubbed, chests have to be all in one.

FF6 is definitely gonna have massive amounts of missables since half the game poofs midway through.

Last edited:

joz123

Potato del Grande
I gave guy 2 axes and firion 2 swords, they are lvl 14 and I gotta go to colosseum now so got some time to get to 16. Blood sword is strong in the final dungeon because it does percentage dmg + str and it wrecks the high hp monsters. It wipes out Emperor quick too.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just did FF 1 (pixel remaster) for the first time since I played it back when I was maybe 12 years old. Man was it so much easier this time. Not sure if pixel made it easier or I just got better at video games. I guess the change to prevent auto miss on a 2nd character attacking the same mob after it’s dead is pretty huge alone.

I bought the steam bundle which is 1-6 so I’m on two now. I like it because I can stream to my iPad via steam link so I can play in bed or whatever. Debating if I just wing 2-6(never done them) or use some guides to prevent missing shit.

2 is funny so far and I’m not really sure what I’m doing. It seems like the scaling of skills advancement seems off. They all got to level 5 or 6 instantly and now feels like sluggish. Maybe it’s because I’m not far enough in the game and I need stronger mobs to make them get higher. I had to grind a bit because I seem far more gold limited in this game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I just did FF 1 (pixel remaster) for the first time since I played it back when I was maybe 12 years old. Man was it so much easier this time. Not sure if pixel made it easier or I just got better at video games. I guess the change to prevent auto miss on a 2nd character attacking the same mob after it’s dead is pretty huge alone.

I bought the steam bundle which is 1-6 so I’m on two now. I like it because I can stream to my iPad via steam link so I can play in bed or whatever. Debating if I just wing 2-6(never done them) or use some guides to prevent missing shit.

2 is funny so far and I’m not really sure what I’m doing. It seems like the scaling of skills advancement seems off. They all got to level 5 or 6 instantly and now feels like sluggish. Maybe it’s because I’m not far enough in the game and I need stronger mobs to make them get higher. I had to grind a bit because I seem far more gold limited in this game.

Yeah subtle changes like you mention “Innefective!” are HUGE for FF1.

I also haven’t played it since I was 12 or so. Any tips on useful spells outside the obvious damage and buffs? Things like Hold, Slow, etc have any niche usage?

joz123

Potato del Grande

Mobs have ranks in ff2 and the higher the rank the higher your skills can get from fighting them. So your skills will stop at certain levels if you fight the same monsters over and over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230422_231010.jpg

It feels good to have all these in one place on a modern system like this.

I also haven’t played it since I was 12 or so. Any tips on useful spells outside the obvious damage and buffs? Things like Hold, Slow, etc have any niche usage?

I pretty much just used attack spells and heal spells throughout, didn't really bother with status effects. Temper + Haste turns melee characters into full-on beastmode though.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

for me not really. I did fail chaos once or twice but then I just had one chat with haste and giant gauntlets(don’t need to wear to use them)

I actually barely used spells. Had fighter ninja monk and red mage. I just used potions right before fight. Didn’t need to heal during except chaos and no offensive spells

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yep, FF3 is taking waaaay longer than 1 and 2. I got about halfway through it and then detoured back to FF4. So I guess I'm bouncing between 3 and 4. Once they're both done I'll focus solely on 5 and I'm looking forward to only working on one. I got to thinking about how FF5 is probably my least-played FF, and longest time since I played it, so it's very interesting to me in that regard. Then I was figuring out which ones I've played the most / when and decided to make a list. Here's how much I've played these (not counting the current run where I'm playing all of them once)

FF1 - About 15 times, roughly
NES - 4x of every class runs for all classes over the years, so that's 6. Plus my first run at it in 1998, and a replay in 2001, which makes 8.
GBA - Dawn version once circa 2004
PSP - 100%'d this once circa 2013
PS1 - Origins version once circa 2022
Pixel Remaster on phone - 3x. One regular Fi/Mnk/RM/WM run, one Th/Th/BM/BM run, one 4x BM run circa 2019-2021

That makes 14 and I might be forgetting some. Jebus. And yeah, the first time I even played FF1 was 1998, I totally missed it in-era. Not sure why I've played it so many times but it might be a record for amount of times I've beaten any game. Scratch the "might", it's probably the record by a mile.

FF2 - 4 times
NES - 1x in 2001
GBA - Dawn version once circa 2004
PSP - 100%'d this one circa 2013
PS1 - Origins version once circa 2022

FF3 - 4 times
NES - 1x in 2001, 1x replay in 2005
DS - 1x late 2000's
Phone version (enhanced DS version) - 1x in 2014

FF4 - Estimated 8 times
SNES - Probably 5x in 1996, was a couple summer months where I basically ran it repeatedly trying to find everything
GBA Advance version - 1x in 2005
DS - 1x circa late 2000's
PSP collection version - 1x circa 2015

FF5 - 2 times
SNES - 1x in 2001
GBA - 1x in 2007

FF6 - Estimated 9 times
SNES - Estimating around 7 times altogether in the 90's
GBA - 1x in 2009
Brave New World - Romhack that changes up leveling and stat building a bit, did this in like 2017

Could keep going from there, suffice to say 7/8/9/10 all got a few in-depth runs, probably 3-4 each. 13 trilogy I played once, liked it though. 15 I played once, didn't like it. 16 isn't exactly getting my motor running, liked it more when people thought it'd be based on the Agni's Philosophy demo and have a hot female sorceress as the main character. Nope, it's some brooding douche.

So yeah, 5 is the one I've played the least and know the least about. As a result I'm pretty gung-ho to get into that one...if I ever get out of 4 limbo (100%ing it is no joke). 3 is very good too and probably the one I have the second-least experience with so I'm enjoying that. I just keep defaulting to FF4 since it takes less effort cause I have it mapped in my head.

/blog off

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool I missed a flan in an area that I cant go back to and they never reappear again. Guess not going to platinum ff6

• 2Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh cool the bestiary is shared between all saves

Yep.

Far as I can tell you can spawn everything in the endgame except for the mobs from Zot/ToB/GoB. So basically those 4 areas (ToB has two segments on two visits) are the only thing one really needs to "worry" about, rest can be cleaned up later pretty easily. The only issue is that there are some summoned mobs in those zones that are super easy to miss, like Green Dragon and Mech Dragon. I bet those two in particular are some of the most-missed enemies. Course none of this would be an issue if the game didn't lock you out of those places after you leave. Not sure why it does that.

Since bestiary carries between saves, all you really have to make sure you do in one playthrough is the chests. Cause of the aforementioned areas being able to lock you out. Item collection is fine 'cause as far as I know all ground-spawn items are in places you can return to. So basically the only missable trophy in this game is the 100% chests one, and only if you rush through Zot/ToB/GoB.

On a different note, Sirens totally change the game up. In theory, you can max out everyone's HP at 9999 (they all end well short of it, between 7k and 9k) by farming Golden Apples (+100 HP) from Thunder Dragons in the Summoned Monster Lair (B2 and B3). They always appear when using Sirens, so then it just becomes a matter of farming them.

Now that I think about it it's probably faster to farm Silver Apples. Golden Apples are a 1/64 drop from Thunder Dragons, while Silver Apples are a 1/8 drop (which isn't bad at all) from Liliths at Mt. Ordeals which can also be Siren'd up. So even though they're half as much +HP I bet one could get them like 5-6x faster at least.

It'd be hilarious to have a file with everyone at 9999 HP wearing Adamant Armor. Would pretty much be done with FF4 forever at that point. Too bad there are no superbosses to actually use that power against, making it useless except to crush Zeromus at will and maybe get revenge on all those Behemoths in the last area that griefed me so much. I'd probably only have like 20 hours on the clock too 'cause I don't work by the hour. Maybe I'll do it, lawl. Maxing out things does kind of give me the sense of satisfaction that simply beating a game used to give me.

Normal non-autistic people shouldn't bother unless you're Jirard the Completionist.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep.

Far as I can tell you can spawn everything in the endgame except for the mobs from Zot/ToB/GoB. So basically those 4 areas (ToB has two segments on two visits) are the only thing one really needs to "worry" about, rest can be cleaned up later pretty easily. The only issue is that there are some summoned mobs in those zones that are super easy to miss, like Green Dragon and Mech Dragon. I bet those two in particular are some of the most-missed enemies. Course none of this would be an issue if the game didn't lock you out of those places after you leave. Not sure why it does that.

Since bestiary carries between saves, all you really have to make sure you do in one playthrough is the chests. Cause of the aforementioned areas being able to lock you out. Item collection is fine 'cause as far as I know all ground-spawn items are in places you can return to. So basically the only missable trophy in this game is the 100% chests one, and only if you rush through Zot/ToB/GoB.

On a different note, Sirens totally change the game up. In theory, you can max out everyone's HP at 9999 (they all end well short of it, between 7k and 9k) by farming Golden Apples (+100 HP) from Thunder Dragons in the Summoned Monster Lair (B2 and B3). They always appear when using Sirens, so then it just becomes a matter of farming them.

Now that I think about it it's probably faster to farm Silver Apples. Golden Apples are a 1/64 drop from Thunder Dragons, while Silver Apples are a 1/8 drop (which isn't bad at all) from Liliths at Mt. Ordeals which can also be Siren'd up. So even though they're half as much +HP I bet one could get them like 5-6x faster at least.

It'd be hilarious to have a file with everyone at 9999 HP wearing Adamant Armor. Would pretty much be done with FF4 forever at that point. Too bad there are no superbosses to actually use that power against, making it useless except to crush Zeromus at will and maybe get revenge on all those Behemoths in the last area that griefed me so much. I'd probably only have like 20 hours on the clock too 'cause I don't work by the hour. Maybe I'll do it, lawl. Maxing out things does kind of give me the sense of satisfaction that simply beating a game used to give me.

Normal non-autistic people shouldn't bother unless you're Jirard the Completionist.
He was talking about FF6. As for 4, full quad 9s and adamant armor wouldn't be enough for the 3D superbosses but I assume you'd squash the ones from the GBA remake.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He was talking about FF6. As for 4, full quad 9s and adamant armor wouldn't be enough for the 3D superbosses but I assume you'd squash the ones from the GBA remake.

Yeah the GBA remake super bosses were easy. Was never a fan of that version of the game, lot of slowdown and lag for whatever reason.

As for FF4 DS, trying to remember if I took down Geryon and Proto-Babil or not. About 80% sure I did. I remember doing a lot of tail-collecting of multiple colors. Fairly sure that Minerva in Crisis Core was the last mainline or mainline-adjacent FF game superboss I had left. I've tapped this series out pretty hard over time. Hell, pretty much the only FFs left that I never actually got to, besides the MMO ones, are FFXII Revenant Wings and FF Crystal Chronicles. The latter has a remake now, the former is pretty much forgotten.

Came here to make a bestiary note for FF4: The Green Dragon (#103) is super rare and a pain in the ass to find. I recommend getting it on Tower of Babel - Underworld 6F before leaving that place. Right after the Rubicante fight, go back and cottage/save before going into the crystal room and dropping down. Then after you drop down, continue a couple floors to 6F and grind there until you get a Green Dragon. They're the rarest enemy on that floor, but still much easier to get there than they are later on. If you have a Siren (and if you're getting everything you'll have 1, I believe) I'd use it here if need be since it summons the GD. Siren can also be stolen from Security Eye which I believe is found in the same dungeon, maybe even the same floor IDK.

Another FF4 note: Make sure you talk to Yang in the Sylph Cave once you gain the ability to fly over lava in the underworld. At some point Yang's sidequest kind of "shuts off" and can't be done anymore. I think this happens after you first go to the moon, or maybe after the Giant. So basically just go to the Sylph Cave at your earliest convenience and talk to Yang, then go talk to his wife in Fabul once you're back on the overworld, then go talk to Yang again to get Sylph before going to the moon.

Yet another FF4 note: The four "secret summons" for Rydia aren't bad at all in the PR since everything has like 4x the drop rate it did before due to the way it calculates individual enemies now. Goblin and Cockatrice can both be gotten on the overworld fairly early and you might even get them by accident. I got Goblin around Baron and I got Cockatrice around Mt Hobs. Both overworld. Mindflayer is in the Magnetic Cavern, use Sirens near the entrance. Took me 5 to get it. Bomb is the only one that's still "hard" to get because you can't use Sirens and most Bomb enemies are uncommon. I got it in Lunar Path West on the first visit, fighting Dark Grenade/Balloon combinations. Took a lot of battles though. Maybe 20 or so battles and got it on the fourth round of bomb enemies.

Edit: Just went through 30 Sirens at Mt Ordeals and didn't get a single Silver Apple. I...don't think they're actually a 1/8th drop. I go through about 6 fights per minute so if it were a 1/8th drop that wouldn't be bad at all. Think I'll drop that crazy idea to max out people's HP at the endgame and just continue finishing the game because this isn't really worth the time.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the GBA remake super bosses were easy. Was never a fan of that version of the game, lot of slowdown and lag for whatever reason.

As for FF4 DS, trying to remember if I took down Geryon and Proto-Babil or not. About 80% sure I did. I remember doing a lot of tail-collecting of multiple colors. Fairly sure that Minerva in Crisis Core was the last mainline or mainline-adjacent FF game superboss I had left. I've tapped this series out pretty hard over time. Hell, pretty much the only FFs left that I never actually got to, besides the MMO ones, are FFXII Revenant Wings and FF Crystal Chronicles. The latter has a remake now, the former is pretty much forgotten.

Came here to make a bestiary note for FF4: The Green Dragon (#103) is super rare and a pain in the ass to find. I recommend getting it on Tower of Babel - Underworld 6F before leaving that place. Right after the Rubicante fight, go back and cottage/save before going into the crystal room and dropping down. Then after you drop down, continue a couple floors to 6F and grind there until you get a Green Dragon. They're the rarest enemy on that floor, but still much easier to get there than they are later on. If you have a Siren (and if you're getting everything you'll have 1, I believe) I'd use it here if need be since it summons the GD. Siren can also be stolen from Security Eye which I believe is found in the same dungeon, maybe even the same floor IDK.

Another FF4 note: Make sure you talk to Yang in the Sylph Cave once you gain the ability to fly over lava in the underworld. At some point Yang's sidequest kind of "shuts off" and can't be done anymore. I think this happens after you first go to the moon, or maybe after the Giant. So basically just go to the Sylph Cave at your earliest convenience and talk to Yang, then go talk to his wife in Fabul once you're back on the overworld, then go talk to Yang again to get Sylph before going to the moon.

Yet another FF4 note: The four "secret summons" for Rydia aren't bad at all in the PR since everything has like 4x the drop rate it did before due to the way it calculates individual enemies now. Goblin and Cockatrice can both be gotten on the overworld fairly early and you might even get them by accident. I got Goblin around Baron and I got Cockatrice around Mt Hobs. Both overworld. Mindflayer is in the Magnetic Cavern, use Sirens near the entrance. Took me 5 to get it. Bomb is the only one that's still "hard" to get because you can't use Sirens and most Bomb enemies are uncommon. I got it in Lunar Path West on the first visit, fighting Dark Grenade/Balloon combinations. Took a lot of battles though. Maybe 20 or so battles and got it on the fourth round of bomb enemies.

Edit: Just went through 30 Sirens at Mt Ordeals and didn't get a single Silver Apple. I...don't think they're actually a 1/8th drop. I go through about 6 fights per minute so if it were a 1/8th drop that wouldn't be bad at all. Think I'll drop that crazy idea to max out people's HP at the endgame and just continue finishing the game because this isn't really worth the time.

Yours is a special kind of autism, but I do enjoy reading your posts.

I'm a couple hours into FF2 after the plat for FF1. I've never played 2, 3, or 5, and I'm going in order so it'll be awhile until I'm back to something familiar. FF2 is pretty damn weird honestly... not sure I like the leveling scheme.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yours is a special kind of autism, but I do enjoy reading your posts.

I'm a couple hours into FF2 after the plat for FF1. I've never played 2, 3, or 5, and I'm going in order so it'll be awhile until I'm back to something familiar. FF2 is pretty damn weird honestly... not sure I like the leveling scheme.
Yeah there’s a reason it never made it into any following games, it sucked ass. You’re even playing an improved version of it and it still sucks.